Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
starlyte

Lick installed. Help !!

#401 Post by starlyte »

I just installed Lick on my portable HP which runs using an HDMI screen. I installed Tahr-6.0.3 and on reboot I get nothig.
No Win and no Puppy no bios.
A black screen.
Having no other ordi working I am stuck. This is from my phone.
Can anyone help please ?

noryb009

#402 Post by noryb009 »

Hey starlyte, sorry to hear about your troubles.

First, could I get a bit more information about your computer?
1) What version of Windows was installed? (7, 8, 10, etc.)

2) Do you know if the computer uses UEFI or BIOS? If you aren't sure, what version of windows was installed when you bought the computer / what version is on the stacker on the case?

Next, a bit more information about your situation:
3) You mention you are using a portable HP, but are using an HDMI screen. Is the laptop screen completely broken? If not, try removing the HDMI screen and trying again.

4) When you boot up, try to get into the BIOS/UEFI. This usually includes repeatedly clicking one of escape, F2, F9, F10 or delete, depending on your computer. If you can get in here, you can likely look for options to boot into, then select Windows. If this works, let me know and I'll walk you through removing LICK. If this doesn't work, go to the next step.

5) Turn on your computer. Do you see anything on the display, even if it goes to black later? Does the caps lock light go on/off when you press the button?

nic007

Re: Lick installed. Help !!

#403 Post by nic007 »

starlyte wrote:I just installed Lick on my portable HP which runs using an HDMI screen. I installed Tahr-6.0.3 and on reboot I get nothig.
No Win and no Puppy no bios.
A black screen.
Having no other ordi working I am stuck. This is from my phone.
Can anyone help please ?
Does Tahr go through the boot process and then stops at a blank screen? This can happen when Tahrs zdrv.sfs file is not loaded. Happened to me too on my HP laptop. I had a frugal install though.

starlyte

#404 Post by starlyte »

Thanks for your interest.
OK :
Windows8.1 not updated(I developed a hesitation to divulgong my life and ordi to their ... aid ! )
UEFI unfortunately.
The laptop screen is completly screwed. The omly way it works is on hdmi screen.
It refuses to boot at all and as I only have (or did before) the hdmi out screen working and cant for some reason get any image (bios would be just tops. But it shows nothing but black. It does work though normally)
I didn't think about the screen being a problem but it is. Its so stuck that I'll end up finding another that works and taking my hdd out (once I can get itopen) to get the info back...
Unless any one has a magic fix for a blocked laptop.
I've tried a boot cd , a ubuntu live 1t.10 from thee news agentt. No go. :(

It can get worse beleive me.
Yesterday I put another desktop PC together. All new parts I had never had time to do. I bought the only DVD live Linux I could and it worked... yesterday.
This morning just the boot screen of the mother board. I will work on that. Just resets and wont open the bios or boot any more.
I must have a PC illness....
Last edited by starlyte on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

noryb009

#405 Post by noryb009 »

nic007: Good thought, but lick installs the zdrv as well (tested on tahr64 6.0.3.9).

starlyte: Sorry again for your troubles. It's hard to work with the computer because of the missing primary screen.

We can still get some information from the lights such as these on the computer. When you turn on your computer, does the power button / power light turn on? If you don't press anything for a few minutes, does it turn off at some point?

Press the caps lock key a few times throughout the startup. Does the light respond to the button? When does it become responsive or unresponsive?

starlyte

#406 Post by starlyte »

It is an HP pavillon 15incbh. An Intel 1.9giga CPU. Only just over a year old but it does not have those lights unfotunately.
One for Caps. 1 for charging mains. On/off . Wifi. That's it.
I'll try to get another PC up and at it. If I could flash the bios with USB... which means at least one of the now 2 o.o.o. PCs working.
I really messed up on this. And it has info that I must get back in it. As well I want to change screen in time...
Or as it has been on 24/7 for 15 months maybe... I can'thear the disk even....

amn87

Boot.ini located in a different partition.

#407 Post by amn87 »

I cant seem to get LICK to work with my particular system configuration. I am running Windows XP which is installed on D: drive but for some reason the boot.ini is located in C: drive. Is there any way to point LICK towards the actual boot.ini location? I have included a screenshot illustrating the exact error. Thanks in advance!
P.S. On this very config I had earlier got Puppy running via Lin' and Win' method. But I would much rather automate it. Plus the Puppy Windows installer worked as well.
Attachments
lick.jpg
(67.91 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

noryb009

#408 Post by noryb009 »

amn87: Thanks for the bug report. I've created a patch that should fix your issue. You can download a zip file here. Let me know if it resolves your issue. If all goes well, I'll make a new official release.

starlyte: Could you please answer the other questions in my last post:
When you turn on your computer, does the power button / power light turn on? If you don't press anything for a few minutes, does it turn off at some point?

Press the caps lock key a few times throughout the startup. Does the light respond to the button? When does it become responsive or unresponsive?

amn87

#409 Post by amn87 »

noryb009 wrote:amn87: Thanks for the bug report. I've created a patch that should fix your issue. You can download a zip file here. Let me know if it resolves your issue. If all goes well, I'll make a new official release.

starlyte: Could you please answer the other questions in my last post:
When you turn on your computer, does the power button / power light turn on? If you don't press anything for a few minutes, does it turn off at some point?

Many thanks for the quick response. I managed to get Puppy installed via the command line interface. There was a new entry in the boot.ini file and upon reboot I was prompted with an option to "Start LICK loader" but it merely presented with a new error, along the lines of " Windows installation is corrupt. hal.dll is missing" But my original Windows was not affected.

noryb009

#410 Post by noryb009 »

amn87: There's a few ways that error can appear. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini, both with the bootloader installed and uninstalled? (you can do it from the menu in the GUI, or I believe one of the options in the CLI).

amn87

#411 Post by amn87 »

noryb009 wrote:amn87: There's a few ways that error can appear. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini, both with the bootloader installed and uninstalled? (you can do it from the menu in the GUI, or I believe one of the options in the CLI).
I hope this is OK?
Before: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

After: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
D:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"

noryb009

#412 Post by noryb009 »

Hey amn87,

I've replicated your setup and am going to investigate more to find the best solution. I will hopefully fix it in the next week or so.

In the mean time, to fix your setup:
0) Install an iso you want in lick.
1) Make boot.ini writable: open command prompt and run:

Code: Select all

attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini
2) Edit boot.ini in notepad and change
to
C:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"
3) Copy pupldr and lickmenu.lst from D:\ to C:\. (If you install/uninstall an iso, you will have to copy over lickmenu.lst again).
4) Optionally make boot.ini read-only with

attrib +S +H +R C:\boot.ini

amn87

#413 Post by amn87 »

noryb009 wrote:Hey amn87,

I've replicated your setup and am going to investigate more to find the best solution. I will hopefully fix it in the next week or so.

In the mean time, to fix your setup:
0) Install an iso you want in lick.
1) Make boot.ini writable: open command prompt and run:

attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini
2) Edit boot.ini in notepad and change
to
C:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"
3) Copy pupldr and lickmenu.lst from D:\ to C:\. (If you install/uninstall an iso, you will have to copy over lickmenu.lst again).
4) Optionally make boot.ini read-only with

attrib +S +H +R C:\boot.ini
This worked just fine. Thanks a lot. I can now directly boot to a minimal Puppy install without having to hunt for a USB key.

cypher51

#414 Post by cypher51 »

Hey,

Noryb, thanks so much for the lick boot-loader. I have an eeepc 1100 which refuses to boot off of a usb key and because there is no optical drive, I was using Slacko 5.7 which came as a .exe file. But with your boot-loader I was able to upgrade my system to Slacko 6.3.0 32 bit. Lick worked like a charm and it was very, very easy to use. Did I mention that the pc came with Win 7 installed. I'm posting from Slacko now.

Thanks again for your hard work on this as it is greatly appreciated.

noryb009

#415 Post by noryb009 »

amn87: I've made changes in lick that should fix the issue completely, and remove the need to copy over lickmenu.lst whenever it changes. It would be greatly appreciated if you could follow the instructions below and let me know how it goes.

0) Make a backup of C:/lickmenu.lst. This file should contain entries for all of your puplets.

1) Open lick 1.0.0b (the one linked to earlier on this page), and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to uninstall it.

2) Download 1.0.0c, and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to install the bootloader.

3) Move C:/lickmenu.lst to the D drive (overwrite the nearly-empty one with your actual configuration).

If all goes well, I'll make this a new release.

cypher51: Thanks for the feedback. It's encouraging to hear stories like that :)

amn87

#416 Post by amn87 »

noryb009 wrote:amn87: I've made changes in lick that should fix the issue completely, and remove the need to copy over lickmenu.lst whenever it changes. It would be greatly appreciated if you could follow the instructions below and let me know how it goes.

0) Make a backup of C:/lickmenu.lst. This file should contain entries for all of your puplets.

1) Open lick 1.0.0b (the one linked to earlier on this page), and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to uninstall it.

2) Download 1.0.0c, and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to install the bootloader.

3) Move C:/lickmenu.lst to the D drive (overwrite the nearly-empty one with your actual configuration).

If all goes well, I'll make this a new release.

cypher51: Thanks for the feedback. It's encouraging to hear stories like that :)
It worked just fine. No problems at all.

noryb009

#417 Post by noryb009 »

That's great to hear. :D

I'll put together a few more changes and make a new release soon.

noryb009

#418 Post by noryb009 »

LICK v1.1 has been released. It includes a few fixes, and a new feature.

Most of the changes are to fix when Windows 9x/NT is installed on a different drive than config.sys/boot.ini (thanks to amn87 for submitting this bug report).

It's recommended to upgrade because of the other fix: on v1.0 and before, uninstalling the bootloader from the menu while having puplets installed cause the grub menu to be recreated, loosing the menu entries for those puplets. This has been fixed in v1.1.

A reminder that you do not need to uninstall anything before upgrading, simply install the exe to the same location as your current installation, or unzip the zip file.

Robin2

#419 Post by Robin2 »

I have just downloaded V1.1 and it seems to install Tahrpup64 correctly on a new Acer notebook with windows 10. But when I shutdown and restart the computer there is no menu to select Puppy - it just goes straight to Windows.

Has anyone any suggestions before I get really mad and just wipe Windows.

In case it matters, the ACER has a solid state drive and the partitions appear in Puppy (from a USB stick) as mmcblk0pX rather than as sdaX that I was used to on the laptop I am typing this on.

Thanks.

...R

noryb009

#420 Post by noryb009 »

Hey Robin2,

I'm going to assume that you have a UEFI bootloader. I'll also assume you know how to access the UEFI bootloader menu, since you could boot a USB.

Somewhere in the menu, you should see "Windows Boot Manager" (like this photo, but only 1). Beside it, you may see "LICK Boot Manager" - if so, what happens when you boot into it? (Note that if this boots puppy, you can likely switch the boot loader order here to resolve your issue. I would appreciate if you could follow the rest of the steps to help figure out how this happened, but it's completely optional)

If you don't see "LICK Boot Manager", or if it doesn't open Puppy, boot back into Windows. Open a command prompt window as an administrator, and run:

bcdedit /enum all
What is the output of this command?