Only allow Puppy OS users to visit a URL in a Apache/joomla

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Atle

Only allow Puppy OS users to visit a URL in a Apache/joomla

#1 Post by Atle »

Hi folks...

I got a strange request/question... If i have a server running and its a Apache with joomla installed on top of that and i make a specific webpage where i want only visitors that are using a remastered Puppy that has a link to this URL in some custom start page made.

Lets say its a project where you just want visitors that are using the puppy made for the project and you can not "cheat" by getting this url from some puppy users and then "join in" with you Windows OS...

Are there any known way to block out Window users from a URL? It can not be for the entire website, but preferably just the "landing page" that you are encouraged to visit in order to get further involved in the project.

Yes i know one can change useragent etc, but i was hoping there can be some way that only if puppy linux OS is detected, you can see the content of the page.

I'll explain why on a later stage, but i am just curious about this here and right now.

I can access php.ini at the server.

atle

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Encrypt it somehow and only give the key to the people you want to use it? Or use a login and password, like this forum does.

But I guess you want to be more technical and actually detect what OS is is use, in a way that can't be spoofed.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

If you are mastering the linux add a cookie into browser before build also change the browser label to something unique that you can use by server software. Both can be faked by other OSes and browser plug ins but not without orginal linux build.

Atle

#4 Post by Atle »

Hmmm... That is a fairly interesting idea.

But I am not sure if I should mess with others software without telling them so.

I gotten as fare as blocking out Internet explorer users and that might settle the dust in my case, even if blocking MS operating system would be ideal.

https://www.devin.com/ieblock_howto.shtml