PackIt-1.22 - a flexible Archiving/Compressing GUI

Miscellaneous tools
davids45

7z problem

#61 Post by davids45 »

G'day SFR,
I've just tried to do some archiving with Packit using 7z. I have many old archives using this compression form (via 7z in Windows or more recently with wine).

Trying in a couple of Pups, Packit failed, reporting a missing .dll file or similar.
In slacko-6.3.0, I took a couple of screenshots, before running the 7z option and after (the log file from the failure).

An early post in this thread mentioned doing something with a Win/7z program and making a .exe file (it's not clear to me what this meant :oops: ).

Is this a fix for my 7z problem or am I needing to do something else?

Thanks,
David S.
Attachments
packit_7z_before.png
(36.91 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
packit_7z_after.png
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 718 times

SFR

#62 Post by SFR »

Hey David
p7zip Version 4.58
Did you install p7zip on your own? Where did you get it from?
This is very old version and looks like it's incomplete (missing 7z.so).

Slacko-6.3.0 has p7zip-9.20.1 preinstalled, but PackIt can't see it, because /usr/bin/7z file has wrong permissions. Slacko64-6.3.0 is ok in this regard, btw.
It can be easily corrected by:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /usr/bin/7z
So, my advice is to uninstall the older package and apply the above fix.
I'm not sure, but it might be also necessary to re-install the original package before the fix (search for p7zip in PPM).
davids45 wrote:An early post in this thread mentioned doing something with a Win/7z program and making a .exe file (it's not clear to me what this meant :oops: ).
Not sure which post you're reffering to...
It depends on a person who compiled/packaged p7zip, but usually it comes with 7zCon.sfx module, which allows to create self-extracting 7zip archives (*.sfx) for Linux.
PackIt can make use of this feature.
Also, if you manually extract 7zip package for Windows, get 7z.sfx module and copy it to where p7zip files reside (usually /usr/lib/p7zip or /usr/local/lib/p7zip or, for Slacko-6.3.0, /usr/libexec/), PackIt can make use of it, too, so you can create self-extracting 7zip archives (*.exe) that will work on Windows.
If any of the above is available, it can be selected in the combobox right to the 'Archive name' field.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

davids45

Why I cannot win a lottery or ...

#63 Post by davids45 »

G'tag SFR,

Thank you for explaining the situation with 7z in Packit.

The first Pup I tried was an oldish Wheezy so your first explanation would apply to that. I will fix that when next I boot that Pup.

The second Pup I had tried yesterday with Packit and the 7z archiving was a 32-bit Slacko-6.3.0 - so I had your second example of 7z problems. Likewise, I'll look to fix that when next booting that Pup.

2 out of 2 misses for me because of my "luck" in picking options :roll: .

Today I've booted a TahrPup (5.9.3) and Packit worked immediately and very well to create a 7z archive :D .

Thanks again,
David S.

davids45

Save to user's choice of directory

#64 Post by davids45 »

G'day SFR,

Thanks for your help (previous posts).

I now have Packit running in all my Pups. Updated Packit (from .2 to .14 in quite a few Pups here) and loaded the latest 7z files (via a .deb file, p7zip-full_15.09+dfsg-4_i386.deb). I also had just copied the relevant 7z files from good Pups to bad but simply clicking the .deb seemed to be easier.

Is it possible to permanently choose a directory for saving the archives to, other than /root? I'd like to keep them all on my data partition (sda5) which every Pup auto-mounts at boot.
I could not find a config file for Packit so I guess this detail is somewhere in the program (where it selects root as the default)?

And I like the same option in Uextract too, if there is a fix in Packit :D .

David S.

SFR

#65 Post by SFR »

Hey David
davids45 wrote:Is it possible to permanently choose a directory for saving the archives to, other than /root?
The output dir defaults to $HOME only if you start PackIt via menu entry or desktop icon.
If you start it from ROX-Filer context menu (or drag'n'drop an item onto desktop icon), it inherits input items' path.
Same goes to UExtract.

Anyway, if you want to hardcode some specific location, find this line (89) in /usr/local/apps/PackIt/packit:

echo "$OUTPUT_DIR" > $TMP_OUTPUT_DIR
and replace $OUTPUT_DIR variable with whatever you want, e.g.:

echo "/mnt/home/archives" > $TMP_OUTPUT_DIR
For UExtract, it's /usr/local/apps/UExtract/AppRun, line 52:

CURRENTDIR="${IFILES[0]%/*}/"
to, e.g.:

CURRENTDIR="/mnt/home/extracted"
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

davids45

Selecting a default directory

#66 Post by davids45 »

G'day SFR,

Thanks for the methods to pre-set directories for Packit and Uextract specifying where to put their outputs. Your examples were most helpful.

I've adapted both your packages now, and have combined them into a personal .pet (for install into my Full Pups) and also into a .sfs which I've copied to my Frugals partition for the Frugal Pups to load during booting.

I included the (above mentioned) updating .deb for 7z in each .pet/.sfs as well.

David S.

quirkian2new

#67 Post by quirkian2new »

Had used packit1.14 for a while now. Can multiple folders be packed into a single tar.xz file. thanks in advance

SFR

#68 Post by SFR »

quirkian2new wrote:Had used packit1.14 for a while now. Can multiple folders be packed into a single tar.xz file. thanks in advance
Yes. Select them all and then right-click -> OpenWith (or SendTo) -> PackIt.
Alternatively, if you have PackIt icon on desktop, drag and drop them onto it.

Greetings!

quirkian2new

#69 Post by quirkian2new »

Thank you very much, SFR

SFR

#70 Post by SFR »

Version 1.15:

- added button (within entrybox) to toggle visibility of password
- can handle multiple files dropped onto entrybox (when PackIt was launched via Menu entry, not via right-click option)

First post updated!

Greetings!

nic007

#71 Post by nic007 »

There is no rar compression option in my version (1.12)?

SFR

#72 Post by SFR »

nic007 wrote:There is no rar compression option in my version (1.12)?
Do you have 'rar' installed?
If so, is it executable and located somewhere in PATH (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, etc.)?
Otherwise this option won't show up.

Greetings!

nic007

#73 Post by nic007 »

SFR wrote:
nic007 wrote:There is no rar compression option in my version (1.12)?
Do you have 'rar' installed?
If so, is it executable and located somewhere in PATH (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, etc.)?
Otherwise this option won't show up.

Greetings!
Oh, okay. Only had unrar installed. Thanks for the utility, saves a lot of time.

hamoudoudou

SFS your pupsave

#74 Post by hamoudoudou »

With packit, it's easy to get an SFS of files included in your pupsave. Just click on pupsave, new directorie, and past and copy there all files ... or only useful one.
Then you will be able to load on the fly this new Sfs and start a new virgin pupsave.

810 mb compressed to SFS are 210 MB
Of course When decompressed again in RAM, the original size is retrieved, as an inflatable balloon.
Attachments
Dir2sfs.jpg
Dir2SFS or Packit
(43.52 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Argolance

#75 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
Today, I had to reformat a partition from ext3 to ext4. I made a compressed file (tar.xz) of its contents using Packit from a live session (stretch 7.5). When I wanted to restore the backed up files/directories, I unfortunately found that the hidden folders had not been copied/taken into account (.mozilla, .wine, .thunderbird, .filezilla, etc...) and I unfortunately lost all the data that was there. :(
I write this message to warn users of this very annoying issue :shock: and prevent the same thing from happening to them...

Cordialement.

musher0

#76 Post by musher0 »

Hello Argolance.

Try good old zip for this kind of task? It has never failed me.
As in:

cd /mnt/sdX
zip -9ry /mnt/sdX/sdY-disk.zip /mnt/sdY/*
Where:
-9 => maximum compression
-r => recurse (i.e. grab all directories and sub-directories)
-y => store symlinks as symlinks

Please also note the use of two separate partitions for this kind of task:
One should store the contents of partition sdY on partition sdX.

If you need more information about the capacities of zip for a task like
this, you can type

zip -h2 | more
in a console. In this doc, you will learn how to zip special types of files
(e.g. "pipes"), etc., if you need to do so.

But zip will compress ".mozilla" and similar hidden directories as usual,
no need to indicate a special parameter.

IHTH. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Argolance

#77 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Thank you for replying.
I didn't make a compressed file from the entire partition, only of its contents. I usually do this kind of task manually, using a right click menu entry "Dir2tgz" and this has never failed. This time, I did it from a live USB key session to have access to the partition and be able to format it with gparted. It was for me the opportunity to test Packit: I was not convinced, far from it! :oops: :?
Là, ça fait mal!!!

Cordialement.

SFR

#78 Post by SFR »

Argolance wrote:Today, I had to reformat a partition from ext3 to ext4. I made a compressed file (tar.xz) of its contents using Packit from a live session (stretch 7.5). When I wanted to restore the backed up files/directories, I unfortunately found that the hidden folders had not been copied/taken into account (.mozilla, .wine, .thunderbird, .filezilla, etc...) and I unfortunately lost all the data that was there. :(
I write this message to warn users of this very annoying issue :shock: and prevent the same thing from happening to them...
Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the lost data...
However, I can't reproduce it, even in Stretch.
Are you able to reproduce it again, preferably on some small set of dirs/files?
If so, I'd appreciate a step-by-step procedure.

Also, what tool did you use to inspect/unpack the archive?

musher0 wrote:Try good old zip for this kind of task? It has never failed me.
Just keep in mind that although ZIP preserves RWX permissions, it won't preserve ownership nor SUID/SGID/Sticky bits.
Of course it may be negligible, depending on situation.

Greetings!

SFR

#79 Post by SFR »

Argolance wrote:I didn't make a compressed file from the entire partition, only of its contents. I usually do this kind of task manually, using a right click menu entry "Dir2tgz" and this has never failed.
Are you saying that you were right-clicking on each dir, separately, and PackIt it one by one?
If so, right-clicking a hidden dir (e.g. .mozilla) and using PackIt on it will produce a hidden archive (e.g. .mozilla.tar.xz), unless you specify the archive name yourself.
Perhaps that was the case?

Greetings!

Argolance

#80 Post by Argolance »

Are you saying that you were right-clicking on each dir, separately, and PackIt it one by one?
No, I selected all the files/directories of the partition, then used the "Open With" right click menu to build a tar.xz file with Packit to another partition (windows NTFS) , selected "3" (medium) as compressing value. Then, when my partition was formatted to ext4 I moved the compressed file to my new ext4 partition and just clicked on it to uncompress it back directly to the partition.
I usually configure ROX to show hidden files, may be, while selecting all files of a partition without this setting would be the reason of this issue?