having to RESET mouse settings every session

Booting, installing, newbie
XP Refugee

having to RESET mouse settings every session

#1 Post by XP Refugee »

i been at this a year or so but for the life of me I can NOT understand why anyone would want settings to disappear everytime they turn off the computer. Maybe it's only my problem but it always tells me keyboard, mouse and screensaver settings set for THIS SESSION ONLY. wtf? WHY would anyone want to make this default and why does it not SAVE these settings when I hit the SAVE icon on the desktop?

I sure hope someone can help me out with this one.
thanks

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

If you are booting from read only media and not putting your save file on rewriteable media that is what will happen.

The pfix=ram parameter will do the same.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi.

You don't say how you're booting your Puppy. Which Puppy? What machine?

Specs....CPU, RAM, HDD, etc?

As Burn_IT has stated, if you're booting from a LiveCD, this will happen.....unless you have a save-file/folder set up somewhere else in which to save the session. This is the way that the Puppy LiveCD works; quite a few people actually prefer to run permanently this way, never saving anything, and trying out different things. Like this, Puppy runs entirely in RAM.....and anything you may have altered or changed will not affect anything else when you shut down.

This is the same way that a 'frugal' install works; whether to disk, or to flash-drive. The main system files are all 'read-only', so every time you boot it's like starting up a brand new install for the first time; they cannot be corrupted.....and thus your system will always work.

If you want to save your settings, simply set-up a save-file/folder at the end of the session; if you are running the LiveCD, then Puppy should ask you if you want to create one, and where. However.....

From the sound of things, if you have the 'Save' icon on your desktop already, then you must have created a save-file/folder, yes?

Mike. :wink:

XP Refugee

#4 Post by XP Refugee »

yes. Save file is a folder as recommended. lxpup 15.06 I believe. But it's not saving this. I reset the mouse sensitivity and hit SAVE. Fail. I mean this is really basic stuff, it's annoying to have slow, low travel on the cursor. I'm resetting to 7 and 3. I used to just live with it but more and more I want it set at what *I* set it at when I boot up.

not sure it'll help, but it's an Acer Netbook with 2 gig ram. I'm running Pup from USB sticks with save folders. Hmmm, could I put my 7/3 into somewhere in that folder?

Why is there not an option to Save Settings for all sessions? It's like an annoying tease...hahaha, yes, you have it how you like it...NOW. Next time we take over your settings yet again, bwahahahaha

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

I assume you mean the "pupX - set properties of X" dialog which has options for the mouse, keyboard and screensaver? It seems to be using xset to apply the settings. According to the xset documentation, the changes do indeed only last for the current X session. However, pupX saves the settings in a hidden file in /root called .xset.sh, which, from what I can tell, is meant to be loaded into .xinitrc when X starts up, so the changes are apparently supposed to persist between sessions. I haven't actually tried that out, though - just looked through /usr/bin/pupx and related scripts.

I guess you could put the xset command from .xset.sh (or one that you wrote yourself) into some start-up script.

(And maybe tone down the language a bit. Your anger is understandable, but it's not us who are responsible for the problem.)

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

I do not know anything about the new folder save mode .

Usually Puppy installed on USB uses a savefile .

Everything is just in RAM tmpfs , until it is written by snapmergepuppy script into the save[file|partition|folder] .

If you power off your computer ( hard poweroff ) , without regular shutdown ,
changes in the RAM tmpfs will not be written into the save .

There are two or three scripts that use this "This session only" :
pupx
quickcountry [ quicksetup ]
xrandrshell

I suspect a rare corner case bug in current code in case of these new save folders .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

Ah, and before I forget :

In the pupx GUI, just click OK , not APPLY .

"OK" should write $HOME/.xset.sh .

If the save worked, .xset.sh should be there .

"OK" does not confirm what it is doing .

But error checking and confirmations are missing here and there in Puppy's code .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

XP Refugee

#8 Post by XP Refugee »

interesting idea, I'll try that. Never could understand the OK/Appy thing. Seems redundant. And yeah, the folder save might be part of it. It's also not saving/sensing what connection I'm on and if it's wireless I have to input the WPA and password each time I log on that way where it USED to sense it and connect to whichever. Thanks.

XP Refugee

#9 Post by XP Refugee »

well, ok instead of apply did not work.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

How is lxpup 15.06 booted?
Do you use a boot manager like Grub4dos or Grub?
If yes.
Post the contents of the menu.lst

The menu.lst is the config file for the boot menu.

You may have a menu entry preventing the save from being used at boot.
Only way to know is to see what is in the menu.lst.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

XP Refugee

#11 Post by XP Refugee »

this is all default stuff from the puppy universal installer so IF i'm using a Grub boot manager I don't know it.
thanks for all help. It's an annoying glitch :)

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

This is not normal, for a Puppy installed to a USB stick, by using the Puppy Universal Installer.

This indicates something is wrong with the install.
Bad iso download.
Bad burn to the USB stick.
Bad format of the USB stick.
etc....

Are you using this version of Puppy?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89270
If yes.
There is a newer version LxPupTahr15.05.
YaPI(any iso installer)

XP Refugee

back from trip, going at the mouse setting save again :)

#13 Post by XP Refugee »

ok, I'm back from almost 4 months in Asia and was too busy to deal with this. As an aside I took 3 lxpups on usb with me. Saved me when XP crashed. Later got it installed on a computer I had Mint on, for $11. Never did like Mint, no way to adjust the color on the screen...always way too red/blue.
ANYHOO...I'm still doing the sensitivity reset each time on any/all of my 5 usb pups. Most WILL remember the connection settings tho, don't recall which one I was having that problem with.
Thanks for all the ideas. I suspect it'll come down to writing it into the startup file as someone suggested. Hard to believe I've got 5 bad downloads/iso's etc. Using 15.06

Not gonna be eating rice for a while :)

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

You need to post about this in the Lxpup topic.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89270
There are newer versions.

This could be a bug that got fixed in newer version.
YaPI(any iso installer)