LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Puppus Dogfellow

i made packages for 5.1, but they're buggy

#261 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LibreOffice-5.1.0_en-US_xz.sfs and LibreOffice-5.1.0_64_en-US_xz.sfs

neither works well and both are recommended against.

anybody have any better luck putting together 5.1?

so, here's a non update and a heads up: 504 appears to be the much better choice/5.1 has been released.

:?:

Uten

#262 Post by Uten »

Does anyone have a build script for libreOffice?
One (or a separate one ) that includes dependencies?

I need it to get something working with fatdog64.
I don't mind hacking it a bit.

The LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs linkted to in vicmz's post seems to work. But I would like to build it from source and run the unit tests so I know what to expect.

Best regards
Uten

Puppus Dogfellow

#263 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Uten wrote:Does anyone have a build script for libreOffice?
One (or a separate one ) that includes dependencies?

I need it to get something working with fatdog64.
I don't mind hacking it a bit.

The LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs linkted to in vicmz's post seems to work. But I would like to build it from source and run the unit tests so I know what to expect.

Best regards
Uten
Hello, Uten

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 906#840906
has Barry's notes from when he compiled an earlier LibreOffice. there's also rerwin's notes on the changes he made to 01micko's get_libreoffice script:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 932#853932

as far as dependencies for fatdog, there's a script (or i've imagined one and have a memory of it) like the one from rerwin and micko made by kirk and/or jamesbond, but an installation of the new fatdog would probably be the best place to look for it--it likely takes care of/names the deps, if any; as far as i know, only the april builds actually needed outside dependencies added, but it's not like i actually know what's going on with the sfs builds--i just watch them them being made and then convert them to pet with a right click utility (see first post of this thread for a link to it).

speaking of outside dependencies, your java script may be of use to you in this project--libre seems to have become more dependent on it, or at least more concerned about it. formerly it would give a single warning if it didn't detect java at start up, then just continue without incident. all "incidents" (for lack of a better word and better packages for it to represent) of 5.1 i made complain no fewer than 5 times (give or take--seems like more) that java's not installed (it complained in slacko64 though java appears to be installed). i've given up on the pets but continue to play with the 32 bit sfs--only two of my custom icons and the main icon representing an open instance of libre are missing (replaced by text and a red x respectively), but everything else seems okay, but only in unicorn pup--won't run right on my precise install--which has no java; i'm not sure how much of this grief is java related.

:?

best regards,
d.

Puppus Dogfellow

5.1 pets reupped--both the 64 and 32 bit sets

#264 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

jre-8u71-i586.sfs
jre-8u74-x64.pet

i installed the above java packages in precise and slacko 64 respectively and everything but my complaint about the icons seems to have been fixed, so here are the pets again:

LibreOffice-5.1.0_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.1.0_en-US_xz.pet

menus and responsiveness have returned, but it appears Libre in its most recent form is no longer usable without java.

thanks to rerwin for the java/java utility.
_____

if you use my Libre packages you should be aware of the following:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: as a further word of caution, or at least background so it's clear what i consider testing for LibreOffice--i load up a few giant documents in odt and docx and make sure they're navigable and editable and otherwise behave as they should. i sync some stuff through dropbox and spideroak--if it works as smoothly as the previous version has at this point, i consider it okay. i don't use the spreadsheets or presentation programs bundled in the suite, so that's not something i ever really test. if anyone has any problems with the packages, they should post them here or the linked LibreOffice thread to give other users a heads up or some kind of guidance as to what works and what doesn't.
from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 573#889573, which directs back to this thread as the main place for LO updates and info (true at least with regards to puppy and at least as far as i know/thanks, vicmz).

vicmz

#265 Post by vicmz »

Thanks for your info, Puppus. The first post links directly to your comment above for links and information. I have to say it's a surprise to see a LibreOffice that fully depends on Java, I thought one of the goals was to depend on Java the least possible. The previous versions are still available just in case.

Langpack PETs for LibreOffice 5.1.0 were not made yet. Meanwhile, you can download them from the official site and install them directly (eight DEBs, tar compressed) and/or follow the instructions from the first post to make a langpack pet of LibreOffice 5.1.0 and share it in this thread.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Puppus Dogfellow

#266 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:Thanks for your info, Puppus. The first post links directly to your comment above for links and information. I have to say it's a surprise to see a LibreOffice that fully depends on Java, I thought one of the goals was to depend on Java the least possible. The previous versions are still available just in case.
the java-less 5.0.4 opens a .docx file faster cold than does an already running instance of 5.1 for me in Slacko64--i'm leaving the 504s and whatever earlier packages of mine you may have linked indefinitely (i usually keep at least one package (usually an sfs) of the later versions of each series around--regret now culling series 3...). maybe future Libres will swap the java dependency for html5 (not even sure how unrelated this is to their function and performance goals, but i'd like to see a tabbed interface, and most people are already saddled with a browser-- but not necessarily with java...) or something else lighter than java, or think better of the idea--i don't view it as a positive development, but i thank them for 504 and the other releases i've used.

vicmz

LibreOffice 5.1 langpacks

#267 Post by vicmz »

Language packs for LibreOffice 5.1 series are now available in the first post. If you don't find a PET for your language, you can either request it in this thread or make your own following the instructions of the first post.

Quick acces to the langpacks folder: https://yadi.sk/d/QRvlVhDjpDGsm
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Uten

#268 Post by Uten »

Thanks for the information and write-up, Puppus,

I'll take a closer look at creating a build script again when time permits. I agree with you on the Java issues, at least when it comes to compiling the package. Normally Gnumeric and Abiword suites my needs but from time to time I have to cope with some stupid M$ documents and in those cases libreOffice works ( most of the time ).

Nice work with the language packs vicmz. My language is missing thought, but I do prefer the English versions anyway. :D

boxR

#269 Post by boxR »

LibreOffice 4.4.7.2 fr (PET)  and  LibreOffice 5.0.5 fr (PET)  are now available here :

Puppus Dogfellow

newer java packages and a mirror for the 5.1 language packs

#270 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

jre-8u73-x64.sfs
jre-8u73-x64.pet
jre-8u73-i586.pet
jre-8u73-i586.sfs

the java package i got from my 64 bit machine had a later version number than the 32 bit packages i linked to earlier, so i redid all of them. not sure why jre-8u74-x64 was available first go around but not the second (rerwin's utility allows 32 bit to download and make 64 bit packages, and they were in fact made on different machines, which may offer some sort of explanation...), but maybe the package was flawed and withdrawn? the java requirement doesn't feel like a burden in my two 32 installations (precise 5.7.2 and unicorn pup), so if anyone wants to test the 64 bit packages, it would be a double report--i.e. it does/doesn't work as expected and rerwin's utility makes decent 64 bit java packages when asked to do so on a 32 bit machine.
Uten wrote:Thanks for the information and write-up, Puppus,

I'll take a closer look at creating a build script again when time permits. I agree with you on the Java issues, at least when it comes to compiling the package. Normally Gnumeric and Abiword suites my needs but from time to time I have to cope with some stupid M$ documents and in those cases libreOffice works ( most of the time ).

Nice work with the language packs vicmz. My language is missing thought, but I do prefer the English versions anyway. :D
you're welcome, Uten. think there's any possibility of breaking the suite down into separate pieces? it was generally regarded as folly, but now that significant functionality has been taken over by an outside source/environment/program (i.e. whatever the hell it is that java really is), are things still really so inextricably interwoven? i'd take an 80 -150 mb (even if i need to use java for it to work) word processor over the whole suite any day. regardless, it'd be nice to have the choice (in case you were at a loss for things to give yourself to do).

despite coming up short with Uten's native tongue (what is it Uten? you may prefer English, but maybe some from the Motherland would feel more at home staring at File and Open written in ...), i've mirrored vicmz's lang packs:

LibreOffice 5.1 Language Packs

------

anyway, long story short--32 bit java packages working well, 64 bit is untested.

_____

edit: the 64 bit java packages appear to work well as well, but 5.1 still feels heavier than 5.0.4 in Slacko64 on my particular machine. the problems i reported earlier aren't affecting me now, but i'm currently running the lighter Firefox over the heavier Chrome for a browser. thing runs and the menus work and you'd have to time task differences in seconds or tenths of seconds this time around--last attempt i could've leisurely made a list of things to throw at the screen while i waited for a usable interface to present itself or my documents to load, then mulled the pluses and minuses of the act, then...--it was unusable, but i'm not entirely sure of the reason. this is better, but maybe not as good as its predecessor.

slavvo67

#271 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi guys:

Someone wrote a DL script when the others weren't working; about 6 months ago, maybe more. Can someone point me to it? I know it's out there and I thought that I saved it. It's driving me crazy! It wasn't Mick0's or Barry's.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

vicmz

#272 Post by vicmz »

Uten wrote:Nice work with the language packs vicmz. My language is missing thought, but I do prefer the English versions anyway. :D
You can either tell us your language to make a pet package or follow the instructions of the first post to create one and share it in this thread.

Puppus Dogfellow

#273 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Hi guys:

Someone wrote a DL script when the others weren't working; about 6 months ago, maybe more. Can someone point me to it? I know it's out there and I thought that I saved it. It's driving me crazy! It wasn't Mick0's or Barry's.

Thanks,

Slavvo67
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=255

i'm only aware of the rewrites to micko's original, which begin about halfway down the linked page.

fwiw, none of the scripts appear to be working at the moment--details missing from the popup boxes and downloads that invariably either fail to begin or fail to complete.

--

edit: i the fatdog script by jamesbond i mentioned a page or so ago is there as well--i haven't tried that one yet.

slavvo67

#274 Post by slavvo67 »

That's spot on. Thanks Puppus. I thought that code allowed for the download even if Libre is installed. I was wrong. Anyway, I found the lines and did a quick edit. Now, I can download even if I have Libre installed.

Thanks again,

Slavvo67

Puppus Dogfellow

#275 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:That's spot on. Thanks Puppus. I thought that code allowed for the download even if Libre is installed. I was wrong. Anyway, I found the lines and did a quick edit. Now, I can download even if I have Libre installed.

Thanks again,

Slavvo67
i got one of those, too :D :
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
stemsee wrote:
rufwoof wrote:.... Also - a 'bug'. If you try and download when a SFS is already loaded you get a warning message, that is locked. You have to restart X to be rid of the dialog.
[...]
This has a couple adjustments so that it will continue to download and build sfs in /root/ even if installed. Also it will delete each .deb package after extraction to free up ram.
couldn't get your version to work right, stemsee.

i commented out a few lines fromL18L's update, and it works as expected, at least for 64 bit (none of the scripts in this thread appear to be working for 32 bit at the moment regardless of indifference to load-state).

not sure if this warrants a version change, but here's get_libreoffice_30.4
_____

here are the 5.1.1 and 5.0.5 64 bit packages:

LibreOffice-5.1.1_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.1.1_64_en-US_xz.sfs
LibreOffice-5.0.5_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.0.5_64_en-US_xz.sfs

neither update appears available for 32 bit at the moment, but all four seem fine in 64bit (tested in Slacko64).

Puppus Dogfellow

5.1 and 5.0.5 32 bit packages now available

#276 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

no idea why only some of my installations can access/download from libre, but here are the 32 bit versions of libreoffice 5.0.5 and 5.1.1:

LibreOffice-5.0.5_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.0.5_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.1.1_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.1.1_en-US_xz.sfs

vicmz

#277 Post by vicmz »

As always, thanks Puppus and BoxR for the updates. First page updated.

Puppus Dogfellow

#278 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:As always, thanks Puppus and BoxR for the updates. First page updated.
you're welcome, vic. and thanks for the us-en help file and libreoffice-5.0.5_en_es high compression 505 sfs.

starhawk

#279 Post by starhawk »

Had LibreOffice 5.0.4 on my netbook (ASUS 1000HE, 1024x600 screen), which I like to use as a typewriter. Puppy in this case is X-Tahr 1b3.

LibreOffice will not maximize; it instead fills the screen so that the bottom tray blocks its status bar and about half of the lowest line of text. Incredibly annoying, to the point of being basically useless.

Upgraded to 5.1.1 in hopes they'd noticed and fixed it, installing Java in the process (which I otherwise don't need -- I do hate bloat). Nope nope nope nope nope. Still there and I'm still going 'nope'.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd file a bug report with them but I'd almost certainly just get a "get a better machine doofus" followed by a WONTFIX marking on the bug report. Not what I need to hear, here.

EDIT: filed a bug report anyways. We'll see what happens...

Puppus Dogfellow

#280 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

starhawk wrote:Had LibreOffice 5.0.4 on my netbook (ASUS 1000HE, 1024x600 screen), which I like to use as a typewriter. Puppy in this case is X-Tahr 1b3.

LibreOffice will not maximize; it instead fills the screen so that the bottom tray blocks its status bar and about half of the lowest line of text. Incredibly annoying, to the point of being basically useless.

Upgraded to 5.1.1 in hopes they'd noticed and fixed it, installing Java in the process (which I otherwise don't need -- I do hate bloat). Nope nope nope nope nope. Still there and I'm still going 'nope'.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd file a bug report with them but I'd almost certainly just get a "get a better machine doofus" followed by a WONTFIX marking on the bug report. Not what I need to hear, here.

EDIT: filed a bug report anyways. We'll see what happens...
i don't think it's your machine, starhawk. i have a 1000H running a derivative of Precise 571 and can maximize the LO window(s) on both the netbook and the external monitor it's hooked up to. the machine has worked well with libre regardless of what puppy it was running (though they were all jwm pups--slacko, unicornpup, ~572.11, precise 5.7.1, precise 5.5--think that's it for this one, but none has seen the problem you described).