(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 27 Sep 2020, 20:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
EM Dash In Geany?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Blackfish

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2016, 03:36    Post subject:  EM Dash In Geany?
Subject description: Anyone Know How An Em Dash Is Typed In Geany?

The em dash copies over from other programs, e.g., Libre Office, AbiWord, etc. and into Geany—so I know the program supports the em dash. But I have no idea which are the correct keys to strike to have it type into my documents while I work! Bizarre! I can't figure it out!

To get my em dashes, I copy one to the clipboard from somewhere else and paste it in when I need it. This is nuts!

Does anyone know the correct keys to strike in order to type in an em dash in Geany?

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2016, 05:30    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

Blackfish wrote:
Does anyone know the correct keys to strike in order to type in an em dash in Geany?
While holding Ctrl+Shift type u2014

If you can't remember that:
Tools > Configuration files > snippets.conf
In the [Default] section create a new snippet, e.g.
em=—

Entering em in Geany, followed by a Tab key, will generate whatever is defined after '=', in above example a single em-dash.
Blackfish

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2016, 06:48    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

MochiMoppel wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

em=—

Entering em in Geany, followed by a Tab key, will generate whatever is defined after '=', in above example a single em-dash.

Yikes. That's even worse than the HTML code: &#8212. But it is cool, gotta admit. Thanks!

Blackfish

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 02:06    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

Blackfish wrote:
MochiMoppel wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

em=—

Yikes. That's even worse than the HTML code: &#8212. But it is cool, gotta admit. Thanks!

On second thought, I like your Ctrl + Shift + u2014 best. It keys in the literal em dash and it looks a lot better than all that code. There's enough code to have to look at and deal with in HTML and CSS, no sense in adding to it. Thanks again!

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 02:18    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

Blackfish wrote:
it looks a lot better than all that code.
Which code? The snippet shortcut?
Blackfish

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 09:13    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

MochiMoppel wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

No. The HTML code. A em dash in HTML is either: &#8212 or &mdash. Either of those will get you an em dash when you view the code in a browser. But it is another piece of code one has to write in order to get it and it shows as code, which makes it another piece of code one has to deal with. I think it best to just have it so the literal em dash is typed in...

But hold everything again... while any of these methods will work in just about any browser, I have recently discovered that none of them work in the Kindle—where I need it!

Uh... back to the drawing board. I have to find out which em dash configuration works in the Kindle. And I know there is one, because I see the em dash used in every book I read. Likely it is a Word document other publishers are using. I will find it!

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 09:59    Post subject: Re: EM Dash In Geany?

Blackfish wrote:
The em dash copies over from other programs, e.g., Libre Office, AbiWord, etc. and into Geany—so I know the program supports the em dash. But I have no idea which are the correct keys to strike to have it type into my documents while I work! Bizarre! I can't figure it out!

To get my em dashes, I copy one to the clipboard from somewhere else and paste it in when I need it. This is nuts!

Blackfish wrote:
MochiMoppel wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

No. The HTML code. A em dash in HTML is either: &#8212 or &mdash. Either of those will get you an em dash when you view the code in a browser. But it is another piece of code one has to write in order to get it and it shows as code, which makes it another piece of code one has to deal with. I think it best to just have it so the literal em dash is typed in...

But hold everything again... while any of these methods will work in just about any browser, I have recently discovered that none of them work in the Kindle—where I need it!

Uh... back to the drawing board. I have to find out which em dash configuration works in the Kindle. And I know there is one, because I see the em dash used in every book I read. Likely it is a Word document other publishers are using. I will find it!

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#emdash
xdotool type '—'

requires xdotool but reliably pastes an em dash (copied from LibreOffice) in Geany for me. you can bind it to a key with your windows manager (i'm launching it/testing it with "emd" in a customized launcher/"word-processorizer"). not sure if it's what you want, but it's definitely not a hyphen. or two, for that matter.

Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: