Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 May 2019, 05:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)
Page 18 of 25 [363 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2015, 08:24    Post subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
I think this is specific to PPM2. I unpackage, rename to what PPM expects (the proper name inside the .peg), and repackage to get around it.

To clarify further, it shouldn't be specific to Libre. PPM2 was designed this way by Mav.

what distro is having a problem with the libre packages? they install fine in ppm2 from what i've seen (unicorn pup and added as a pet to various flavors of precise from 5.5. to 572). if the issue (which is unstated and directs you to a removed post for further clarification, but i'll hazard a guess based on the earlier references to package size) is that after using parchive or packit (etc) to recompress the pet (or iso or sfs) to a smaller size things aren't working, it may be because the recompressed directory often has .extracted.xx or something similar added to its name. not renaming things back correctly could mess things up--is this the issue? you could check out 01micko's and rerwin's script to see if there's an error when it's made into an sfs--those also always work for me with no problem though. the next step is the to-pet conversion. here's the script by TheAsterisk! that i use to convert the sfs packages to pet:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
# Last edited 2012.10.01 by Michael Parker/TheAsterisk!
sfs="$@"
ext=${sfs##*.}
rootname=`basename "$sfs" ".$ext"`
unsquashfs "$@"
mv squashfs-root "$rootname"
dir2tgz "$rootname"
tgz2pet "$rootname".tar.gz
# May choose to use the following two lines in place of the previous two lines
# Comment and uncomment lines accordingly
#dir2pet "$rootname"
#rm nohup.out
rm -rf "$rootname"

anybody want to rewrite it to use xz compression and fix the naming issue which may or may not exist? i'll make the next set using it to test. if it works, that'll be my new go-to sfs-to-pet converter.

peebee wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
Has this problem been experienced by anyone else when attempting to install LibreOffice to one of the latest distros?

Wrong link I think....link deleted

Problem reported by GCM is that the pet has been renamed without rebuilding the pet - the new PPM rejects such "malformed" pets (there may be a config option to switch this off).

@GCM - rename the pet back to the internal name....

the emboldened is why i think it's a conversion of the package issue--the pet was made only once on my side--it never had any other name to rename. i'm pretty sure TheAsterisk's script is making the correct petspec files and the like, or at least is calling on other pup scripts that do.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2015, 22:49    Post subject:  

Sorry, Puppus. This issue sounded familiar to problems I was having with certain pet packages. It's been probably 6 months or a year, now. If the outer pet is named different from the inner file, PPM2 rejects it.

Sometimes, the auto-download programs package as, let's say "Firefox.pet" while the file inside is firefox.32.0.432 (or whatever).

Anyway, it's an old issue that has, more or less fixed itself over time. Every once in a while, a package will not install for this. I, personally, haven't had any issues with Libre or the packaging (except for the previous 5.?? version I posted a month or so, ago).

Best,

Slavvo67
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2015, 11:17    Post subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
Sorry, Puppus. This issue sounded familiar to problems I was having with certain pet packages. It's been probably 6 months or a year, now. If the outer pet is named different from the inner file, PPM2 rejects it.

Sometimes, the auto-download programs package as, let's say "Firefox.pet" while the file inside is firefox.32.0.432 (or whatever).

Anyway, it's an old issue that has, more or less fixed itself over time. Every once in a while, a package will not install for this. I, personally, haven't had any issues with Libre or the packaging (except for the previous 5.?? version I posted a month or so, ago).

Best,

Slavvo67

nothing to be sorry about, slavvo. i've seen that issue with some pets i've come across (maybe three or four), but none of them were LibreOffice pets, which led me to a different guess than the one you made, and to be fair, we still don't know who was closer to naming the issue, assuming the issue in fact exists, which actually doesn't appear to be the case, at least not past issue issue status. anyway, does this mean you haven't yet hacked TheAsterisk!s script to force xz compression? pets decompress on installation just the same, but i guess it'd make it easier on uploading and downloading. not sure how many pups would get locked out because they can't use xz pets though. any idea if this is a legitimate concern? i can recall it being a mentioned as a problem in a thread or two, but those might have been too old to judge by. has this been universally fixed by a pet or patch or something? is it even still an issue?
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec 2015, 19:21    Post subject: 504x4  

LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.0.4_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.0.4_en-US_xz.sfs
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2015, 23:28    Post subject:  

First page updated. Thank you, Puppus.
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2016, 04:37    Post subject: i made packages for 5.1, but they're buggy
Subject description: possibly the 32 bit sfs is salvagable?

LibreOffice-5.1.0_en-US_xz.sfs and LibreOffice-5.1.0_64_en-US_xz.sfs

neither works well and both are recommended against.

anybody have any better luck putting together 5.1?

so, here's a non update and a heads up: 504 appears to be the much better choice/5.1 has been released.

Question
Uten

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2016, 19:31    Post subject:  

Does anyone have a build script for libreOffice?
One (or a separate one ) that includes dependencies?

I need it to get something working with fatdog64.
I don't mind hacking it a bit.

The LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs linkted to in vicmz's post seems to work. But I would like to build it from source and run the unit tests so I know what to expect.

Best regards
Uten
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb 2016, 11:15    Post subject:  

Uten wrote:
Does anyone have a build script for libreOffice?
One (or a separate one ) that includes dependencies?

I need it to get something working with fatdog64.
I don't mind hacking it a bit.

The LibreOffice-5.0.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs linkted to in vicmz's post seems to work. But I would like to build it from source and run the unit tests so I know what to expect.

Best regards
Uten

Hello, Uten

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=840906#840906
has Barry's notes from when he compiled an earlier LibreOffice. there's also rerwin's notes on the changes he made to 01micko's get_libreoffice script:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=853932#853932

as far as dependencies for fatdog, there's a script (or i've imagined one and have a memory of it) like the one from rerwin and micko made by kirk and/or jamesbond, but an installation of the new fatdog would probably be the best place to look for it--it likely takes care of/names the deps, if any; as far as i know, only the april builds actually needed outside dependencies added, but it's not like i actually know what's going on with the sfs builds--i just watch them them being made and then convert them to pet with a right click utility (see first post of this thread for a link to it).

speaking of outside dependencies, your java script may be of use to you in this project--libre seems to have become more dependent on it, or at least more concerned about it. formerly it would give a single warning if it didn't detect java at start up, then just continue without incident. all "incidents" (for lack of a better word and better packages for it to represent) of 5.1 i made complain no fewer than 5 times (give or take--seems like more) that java's not installed (it complained in slacko64 though java appears to be installed). i've given up on the pets but continue to play with the 32 bit sfs--only two of my custom icons and the main icon representing an open instance of libre are missing (replaced by text and a red x respectively), but everything else seems okay, but only in unicorn pup--won't run right on my precise install--which has no java; i'm not sure how much of this grief is java related.

Confused

best regards,
d.
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2016, 20:37    Post subject: 5.1 pets reupped--both the 64 and 32 bit sets
Subject description: appear to need a recent (and installed) java

jre-8u71-i586.sfs
jre-8u74-x64.pet

i installed the above java packages in precise and slacko 64 respectively and everything but my complaint about the icons seems to have been fixed, so here are the pets again:

LibreOffice-5.1.0_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.1.0_en-US_xz.pet

menus and responsiveness have returned, but it appears Libre in its most recent form is no longer usable without java.

thanks to rerwin for the java/java utility.
_____

if you use my Libre packages you should be aware of the following:

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

as a further word of caution, or at least background so it's clear what i consider testing for LibreOffice--i load up a few giant documents in odt and docx and make sure they're navigable and editable and otherwise behave as they should. i sync some stuff through dropbox and spideroak--if it works as smoothly as the previous version has at this point, i consider it okay. i don't use the spreadsheets or presentation programs bundled in the suite, so that's not something i ever really test. if anyone has any problems with the packages, they should post them here or the linked LibreOffice thread to give other users a heads up or some kind of guidance as to what works and what doesn't.

from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=889573#889573, which directs back to this thread as the main place for LO updates and info (true at least with regards to puppy and at least as far as i know/thanks, vicmz).
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2016, 20:06    Post subject:  

Thanks for your info, Puppus. The first post links directly to your comment above for links and information. I have to say it's a surprise to see a LibreOffice that fully depends on Java, I thought one of the goals was to depend on Java the least possible. The previous versions are still available just in case.

Langpack PETs for LibreOffice 5.1.0 were not made yet. Meanwhile, you can download them from the official site and install them directly (eight DEBs, tar compressed) and/or follow the instructions from the first post to make a langpack pet of LibreOffice 5.1.0 and share it in this thread.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2016, 00:27    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
Thanks for your info, Puppus. The first post links directly to your comment above for links and information. I have to say it's a surprise to see a LibreOffice that fully depends on Java, I thought one of the goals was to depend on Java the least possible. The previous versions are still available just in case.

the java-less 5.0.4 opens a .docx file faster cold than does an already running instance of 5.1 for me in Slacko64--i'm leaving the 504s and whatever earlier packages of mine you may have linked indefinitely (i usually keep at least one package (usually an sfs) of the later versions of each series around--regret now culling series 3...). maybe future Libres will swap the java dependency for html5 (not even sure how unrelated this is to their function and performance goals, but i'd like to see a tabbed interface, and most people are already saddled with a browser-- but not necessarily with java...) or something else lighter than java, or think better of the idea--i don't view it as a positive development, but i thank them for 504 and the other releases i've used.
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2016, 20:10    Post subject: LibreOffice 5.1 langpacks  

Language packs for LibreOffice 5.1 series are now available in the first post. If you don't find a PET for your language, you can either request it in this thread or make your own following the instructions of the first post.

Quick acces to the langpacks folder: https://yadi.sk/d/QRvlVhDjpDGsm

Uten

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:03    Post subject:  

Thanks for the information and write-up, Puppus,

I'll take a closer look at creating a build script again when time permits. I agree with you on the Java issues, at least when it comes to compiling the package. Normally Gnumeric and Abiword suites my needs but from time to time I have to cope with some stupid M$ documents and in those cases libreOffice works ( most of the time ).

Nice work with the language packs vicmz. My language is missing thought, but I do prefer the English versions anyway. Very Happy
boxR

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2016, 12:22    Post subject:  

LibreOffice 4.4.7.2 fr (PET)  and  LibreOffice 5.0.5 fr (PET)  are now available here :
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2016, 22:29    Post subject: newer java packages and a mirror for the 5.1 language packs
Subject description: working fine in 32 bit, need testers for the two 64 bit

jre-8u73-x64.sfs
jre-8u73-x64.pet
jre-8u73-i586.pet
jre-8u73-i586.sfs

the java package i got from my 64 bit machine had a later version number than the 32 bit packages i linked to earlier, so i redid all of them. not sure why jre-8u74-x64 was available first go around but not the second (rerwin's utility allows 32 bit to download and make 64 bit packages, and they were in fact made on different machines, which may offer some sort of explanation...), but maybe the package was flawed and withdrawn? the java requirement doesn't feel like a burden in my two 32 installations (precise 5.7.2 and unicorn pup), so if anyone wants to test the 64 bit packages, it would be a double report--i.e. it does/doesn't work as expected and rerwin's utility makes decent 64 bit java packages when asked to do so on a 32 bit machine.
Uten wrote:
Thanks for the information and write-up, Puppus,

I'll take a closer look at creating a build script again when time permits. I agree with you on the Java issues, at least when it comes to compiling the package. Normally Gnumeric and Abiword suites my needs but from time to time I have to cope with some stupid M$ documents and in those cases libreOffice works ( most of the time ).

Nice work with the language packs vicmz. My language is missing thought, but I do prefer the English versions anyway. Very Happy

you're welcome, Uten. think there's any possibility of breaking the suite down into separate pieces? it was generally regarded as folly, but now that significant functionality has been taken over by an outside source/environment/program (i.e. whatever the hell it is that java really is), are things still really so inextricably interwoven? i'd take an 80 -150 mb (even if i need to use java for it to work) word processor over the whole suite any day. regardless, it'd be nice to have the choice (in case you were at a loss for things to give yourself to do).

despite coming up short with Uten's native tongue (what is it Uten? you may prefer English, but maybe some from the Motherland would feel more at home staring at File and Open written in ...), i've mirrored vicmz's lang packs:

LibreOffice 5.1 Language Packs

------

anyway, long story short--32 bit java packages working well, 64 bit is untested.

_____

edit: the 64 bit java packages appear to work well as well, but 5.1 still feels heavier than 5.0.4 in Slacko64 on my particular machine. the problems i reported earlier aren't affecting me now, but i'm currently running the lighter Firefox over the heavier Chrome for a browser. thing runs and the menus work and you'd have to time task differences in seconds or tenths of seconds this time around--last attempt i could've leisurely made a list of things to throw at the screen while i waited for a usable interface to present itself or my documents to load, then mulled the pluses and minuses of the act, then...--it was unusable, but i'm not entirely sure of the reason. this is better, but maybe not as good as its predecessor.
Page 18 of 25 [363 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: