Beware of hacked ISOs if you downloaded Linux Mint on Februa

For discussions about security.
James C

#1 Post by James C »

Beware of hacked ISOs if you downloaded Linux Mint on February 20th!.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
I’m sorry I have to come with bad news.

We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below.

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

At least they admit this, I was screaming that our hosts sites where hacked and early Quirky6 releases had unexplained 'uncompressed' files. Did not get any 'leaders' actions but a brush off.
I really wish we would return to having the md5sums posted independently of download hosts once again. Having md5sums on same site as ISOs just give away some protection offered. Leaders do not seem to check against there own files once uploaded, and only respond after numhers of users complain. When both hacked ISO or SFS or whatever the package is called in Quirky6 and its md5sums. We should md5sum prior to making sfs and then at each stage of packing files for ISO inside md5sum and then the md5sum for the outermost layer. And then per directory of related files on hosts. Then those 4 to 6 md5sums posted either here and on personal blogs.

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

Yep. What Ted said. Mints problem? Wordpress.

Code: Select all

# cd Isos
#ls
AntiX
ChromiumOS_i386
puppy_shibaInu_1.1.3-k_3.18_noPAE_08022016.iso
puppy_shibaInu_1.1.3-k_3.18_noPAE_08022016.iso.part
shibalnu_md5
#cat shibalnu_md5 
525138e4cb58ca6896dfd1d93c5c9b26

James C

#4 Post by James C »

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Forget MD5s, you want SHA256 or ideally SHA512

Colonel Panic

#6 Post by Colonel Panic »

rokytnji wrote:Yep. What Ted said. Mints problem? Wordpress.

Code: Select all

# cd Isos
#ls
AntiX
ChromiumOS_i386
puppy_shibaInu_1.1.3-k_3.18_noPAE_08022016.iso
puppy_shibaInu_1.1.3-k_3.18_noPAE_08022016.iso.part
shibalnu_md5
#cat shibalnu_md5 
525138e4cb58ca6896dfd1d93c5c9b26
So Wordpress isn't secure? Oh hell. I've no reason to doubt your word on this, but I've set up a website for somebody else using Wordpress and post on a couple of others.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Hacker explains how he put "backdoor" in hundreds of Linux Mint downloads
A lone hacker who duped hundreds of users into downloading a version of Linux with a backdoor installed has revealed how it was done...The hacker responsible, who goes by the name "Peace," told me in an encrypted chat on Sunday that a "few hundred" Linux Mint installs were under their control -- a significant portion of the thousand-plus downloads during the day....
Peace also claimed to have stolen an entire copy of the site's forum twice -- one from January 28, and most recently February 18, two days before the hack was confirmed...It later emerged that the hacker had placed the "full forum dump" on a dark web marketplace, a listing we were also able to verify that exists. The listing was going for about 0.197 bitcoin at the time of writing, or about $85 per download...About 71,000 accounts have been loaded into breach notification site HaveIBeenPwned, it announced on Sunday. Just less than half of all accounts were already in the database. (If you think you might be affected by the breach, you can search its database for your email address.)...On Saturday, the hacker replaced one of the 64-bit Linux distribution images (ISO) with one that was modified by adding a backdoor, and later decided to "replace all mirrors" for every downloadable version of Linux on the site with a modified version of their own....But the best way to get users to download the backdoored version was by changing the checksum -- used to verify the integrity of a file -- on the website with the checksum of the backdoored version...The hacker said there was no specific goal to their attack, but said that their prime motivation for the backdoor was to build a botnet. The hacker used malware dubbed Tsunami, an easy-to-implement backdoor, which when activated quietly connects to an IRC server where it waits for commands... "[Tsunami] is a simple manually configurable bot which talks to an IRC server and joins a predefined channel, with a password if set by the creator," said Klijnsma. But it isn't just used to launch web-based attacks, it can also allow its creator to "execute commands and download files to the infected system to later execute, for example," he added.

Not just that, the malware can uninstall itself on affected machines to limit traces of evidence it leaves behind, said Klijnsma, who helped me to review and verify some of the hacker's claims.

For now, the hacker's motive was "just having access in general," but they did not rule out using the botnet to carry out data mining or any other nefarious means. In the meanwhile, the hacker's botnet is still up and running, but the number of infected machines "dropped significantly since the news broke obviously," Peace confirmed..

rokytnji

#8 Post by rokytnji »

So Wordpress isn't secure? Oh hell. I've no reason to doubt your word on this, but I've set up a website for somebody else using Wordpress and post on a couple of others.
Don't take my word but maybe this will help you shore up things better for your "setup for somebody else". Give you some peace of mind.

I don't think posting or reading a wordpress site is insecure in itself. The site gets hacked. Not you.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... lugin.html

https://authoritylabs.com/blog/dont-get ... wordpress/

https://www.wordfence.com/docs/how-to-c ... wordfence/

Why I said Wordpress

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-mint ... r-version/
Lefebvre confirmed the site was hacked through its outdated WordPress installation, but he denied that using HTTPS site encryption would have mitigated the attack.

poorguy

#9 Post by poorguy »

I guess it is always good to hang on to older known good ISO downloads.
I also try and stay with a working distro instead of always upgrading to the latest version.
A lot of wisdom in these words "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "upgrade only for a reason".

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

Due to Mint owners wishes that only people who agree with his views on the Middle East use his software ( written into his version of open source copyright ULA etc. ) I am suprised this type of embarrassing situational exposure hadn't happened sooner.

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Forget MD5s, you want SHA256 or ideally SHA512
I think it wise to make all and post all, including one or more not done on orginal build system to make sure build environments are not already bugged. When GIT changed over occurred there where some unexpected and unexplained sources of code within linux build and storage databased systems.

Sky Aisling

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

Sigh!
Here's the arstechnica article for further reading.
I took the download at the first of the month, thank goodness.
It was XFCE not Cinammon. The MD5sums checked good.
Gave the Live CD to a beginner last week.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02 ... ck-attack/

Ted Dog

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

Wow ... just reading the back and forth on the Lefebvre Middle East statement and at the end of the exchange he ( Mint leader ) tries to use a word processor in an example to his lack of clear refute for views expressed, this is definitely payback..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Li ... ontroversy

Its good to get it straight from the horses mouth and see who 'peace' might be... ( it has I.P. addresses of those posting )

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

Reading those links was interesting. I had not heard of the MintBox before. Sounds like a nice bit of hardware.

russoodle

#15 Post by russoodle »

I'm rather wary of WordPress and other CMS applications....a few years ago now, i had a WP blog running on my server, (for my sister and her friend, who were travelling in Asia), and that site was compromised via PHP. I backed up their data and deleted the site, not bothering the girls as they were arriving back in Oz around that time and have their hard copies, anyway.

In the past, i've even found orphan php code in the logs, trying to find a way, unsuccessfully, to do the dirty....a*holes, to what purpose, FFS? :evil:

I prefer to stick to HTML and CSS..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

8Geee

#16 Post by 8Geee »

After reading this, I've decided to update curl in slacko5.7-nonpae -->7.4.7. No doubt a few symlinks are needed, as the old version remains intact. :roll: I've spent a bit of time with gdmap in /usr. Yep, just like libsnd 1.0.24 --> 26, need to remove the old and create a symlink. This will take a while to sort out.

So I guess this amounts to a heads-up that both my respins slacko5.7-2016 will get a remaster and upload. My personal version seems OK at this point (but the shares and servers are removed).
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Sky Aisling

#17 Post by Sky Aisling »