Andro-Pup

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
oui

Andro-Pup

#1 Post by oui »

Hi developers

I did try yesterday a Puppy with about 600 MB. What is the nonsens?

The users go to smart OS! Not to monsters...

I don't undestand your efforts to add obtrusive OS to Puppy but not that, what is so near to Puppy, Android OS, but with the full equipment of classic Puppy for 32 and 64 allday PC's :wink:

Please read also here how to use and compile the source code available since years!

Good luck!

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Android and Linux are two nearly separate operating systems.

Android uses a Linux kernel, yes, but it is incredibly heavily modified. On top of that is a "Dalvik" language virtual machine, and on top of that is a second virtual machine that runs a specialized dialect of Java.

Thus, an Android *.apk file, sort of the equivalent of a Java *.jar -- is translated at runtime into Dalvik and then into Linux-intelligible machine code -- as it runs. The upshot of this is that the hardware underneath becomes essentially irrelevant to the *.apk -- if it will run a compatible Android, it will run that *.apk -- but the downside is that it breaks compatibility with anything even remotely standard in the desktop operating system arena.

There's no real way to reconcile that, either. I suppose you could port the Java VM portion to regular Linux, with tremendous effort, but then you'd have to satisfy all the environmental dependencies that the application expects -- the GUI setup, inputs (in particular, the lack of an accelerometer or other tilt sensor), and so on.

Not worth the effort, and by far.

The closest you can get is ChromiumOS. It is very hard to build... good luck...

Terry H

#3 Post by Terry H »

starhawk wrote:On top of that is a "Dalvik" language virtual machine, and on top of that is a second virtual machine that runs a specialized dialect of Java.
In Android 4.4 Android Runtime (ART) was introduced running alongside Dalvik. Then in later versions Dalvik is deprecated. ART is a compiled environment rather than interpreted.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

That's smart, for them -- I always thought that two virtual machines was an unnecessary waste of processor overhead, at best...

But we're still stuck with, you can't really port that to actual Linux.

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

This community is going thru another of its evolutions. More and more members are either coming to Puppyland already users of Touch hand-held devices OR experienced members who are acquiring/have smartDevices.

These are the portions of the community which will be envisioning the integration of Android and Linux thru PUPs

Assuming you have a touch-screen PC, try the distro mentioned in the opening post. Then on your touch PC; try Puppy's Just-Lighthouse, followed by FATDOG V7+. Do things by touching your screen so that you can articulate what is different in the 3 implementations for user uses. (Use of a mouse is NOT going to give you the base info you need to understand what is different.) And, also, one can see similarities if you have a hand-held smartDevice, as well as, the testing of the 3 distros mentioned.

These 3 will provide you the understanding of what these are and the differences of implementations useful for clarity.

The x86 implementations are hampered by the missing radios that are standard in smart hand-held devices.

In smart hand-helds, those smartDevices have existing apps that are designed with the understanding of those radios and how to use them interactively with the user touch activity. x86 PCs do NOT have those radios, thus, are not capable in replacing hand-helds. Not to mention other key differences that the OSes perform because of their inherent design for user interactions.

Should there become parity in radios for both hand-helds and x86 PCs, will we begin to envision a true convergence.

Until then ...
I see PUPPY Linux, IMHO, a PC system that has a Central place in the home for data that is important to the home! And, it currently is designed to use the peripherals that are standard on x86 PCs and scattered across your home LANs.

mcewanw

#6 Post by mcewanw »

For the moment at least, I tend myself to be more interested in running Android apps on top of conventional (non-touch screen etc) desktop-oriented Linux distributions. Of course that may change as touch-capable hardware (along with, for example, accelerometer sensors etc) proliferate.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1508927251

There are certainly some great Android apps available (at the moment, I am playing with surveillance apps, there being some very impressive and convenient to use Android apps in that category, whereas previously I have used the likes of 'motion' in Linux a lot). It turns out to be a lot easier to stick an android phone on the side of a post or tree than a Linux box with webcam... and not too difficult to arrange constant charging of the wee Android battery (comparatively economical in terms of power usage)...

Nevertheless, when it comes to browsing the web or typing a document, give me a conventional laptop (or even desktop) anytime.

William
github mcewanw

ally

#7 Post by ally »

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

Mozilla recently gave up on FirefoxOS for smartphones. I tried to run FirefoxOS as an app on my smartphone and it crashed everything, necessitating a factory reset. If Mozilla can't do it....

ally

#9 Post by ally »

there are a few android apps for installing linux (linux deploy for example)

I have a nokia n900 that runs a linux OS, screen size was an issue

:)

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

nubc wrote:Mozilla recently gave up on FirefoxOS for smartphones. I tried to run FirefoxOS as an app on my smartphone and it crashed everything, necessitating a factory reset. If Mozilla can't do it....
Hope you are joking I have been beta testing and sending crash reports back for months..
As I type this in the icon telling me another improved version is ready for beta testing let me check the date.. today 3 hour ago.. :roll:

Do you run a oddball phone provider version of android, I know I do.. and it does crash but less so than 8 to 9 months ago.

You can't get beta from the normal google store ( that copy is crappy )

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

I am liking the maru idea from BKs web blog that was linked above, that idea make the most sense to me as well... if only we could get something like fatdogarm as the 'firmware' versus debian. Nexus phone is pricy for me, but do able. I do not know how much longer this phone will last. Its no longer being updated by ATT and apps are upgrading to a down graded experience. Stuff nice no longer supported like the TV remote app. :x :cry: :arrow:

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

Mozilla Foundation drops Firefox OS projects
http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/78 ... ojects.htm

Mozilla Drops Firefox OS, Changes to IoT Focus
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/a ... focus.html

Mozilla will stop supporting Firefox OS in May
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/04/mozi ... irefox-os/