woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
musher0

#381 Post by musher0 »

@jlst (no offense intended) :)
We'll set up a foundation to buy you a hearse and a black mortuary suit, and for the
beloved deceased, a little plot of land in a cemetery ... ;) (Shucks, there is no icon
for dark humor on this board.) :shock:

@all
I just found this: it's from an Android forum, but before we go further and reinvent
the wheel... (A connection is a connection is a connection, right?)

It goes back somewhat to my hardware argument above, actually. In short, it says:
  • * turn off the power saving mode on your machine (that's in the BIOS, folks.)
    * turn off the wi-fi timer/optimizer
Any of this rings a bell with you people?

Actually, I'm surprised that jemimah's frisbee would not be working properly, even
more so with the recent edits. With a little push from jlst and myself it solved the
issue of an ethernet card non-connection on a "teflon pan" Puppy, namely the
experimental Dpup_3.14.56.1 currently in the works.

And before mavrothal comes by suggesting it, we should open a separate thread
about this wi-fi connection issue.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

#382 Post by gcmartin »

Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#383 Post by mavrothal »

deleted
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

666philb

#384 Post by 666philb »

slavvo67 wrote:666philb:

Can you give me some additional information. I'm very close but I'm not getting wallpaper or pinboard. Perhaps, I am not using the same kernel that you are? Also, which branch? Testing?

Best,

Slavvo67
hi slavvo67,
you may want start from scratch to rule out any other causes

the following produces the released tahrpup 6.0.5 iso ....

first off for 32bit build from a 32bit install (i used tahrpup 6.0.5 for this test) and for 64bit build from a 64bit pup ie tahrpup64 (the very first tahrpup64 was built from slacko64)

grab the latest woof.CE testing
run merge2out in a terminal choosing x86>>ubuntu>>trusty

i then use the woof_gui to
download dbs (just press enter to each question)
download pkgs
build pkgs

then finally build distro choosing HUGE BUILD DISTRO
1 'enter' for normal .iso creation
2 just keep the defaults and click ok on the 'choose extra packages' for now.
3 when asked if you want frisbee as default connect choose 'NO' (this is easy to miss as the window times out)
4 choose kernel 3.14.56 for now . (you can try other ones later)
5 backround = vincents pale blue
gtk theme = stark-bluish
icon theme = ardis
jwm theme = stark-bluish
6 tahrpup has black text on the desktop
7 and then enter enter enter all the way to the end
anything not mentioned above just press enter for the defaults

this will produce tahrpup 6.0.5 but with updated ubuntu libs including a glibc upgrade for the security bug, plus all the updates in woof-ce and look exactly like the one released

same works for tahrpup64 although the gtk-theme is 'shiney' ;)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Atle

#385 Post by Atle »

Edited and structured....

The investigator inside me tells me this is when your at networks where also other are connected. Such as McDonald, BurgerKing and jail.

And that there is like something that makes it go nuts from time to time, most probably when the network "does something"...

Unless someone has experienced this when your alone connected to your private single user Wlan network, i think we are narrowing in the issue.

Anyone that can confirm this? that the problem occurs in airplanes or wherever your connected to possibly more than one physical device as its many Wland devices in the same system and/or that its other users on the network?
Last edited by Atle on Wed 24 Feb 2016, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#386 Post by musher0 »

Also, as you all hopefully know, there is a new kid on the block that does connections.

Edit:
I may not have to pack any pet after all! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Atle

#387 Post by Atle »

Deleted refering to Mavrothal
Last edited by Atle on Wed 24 Feb 2016, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#388 Post by mavrothal »

musher0 wrote:And before mavrothal comes by suggesting it, we should open a separate thread
about this wi-fi connection issue.
Please do not derail it again just as it managed to get back on track discussing woof building again.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#389 Post by peebee »

What apps do I need to remove - i.e. set to no - in my DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-current with the latest woof-ce/testing?

Can I find this out from git-hub? Is it the list at:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... s-packages ?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#390 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:What apps do I need to remove - i.e. set to no - in my DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-current with the latest woof-ce/testing?

Can I find this out from git-hub? Is it the list at:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... s-packages ?
If you look at 3-builddistro-Z calls, rootfs-packages will not over-write the builders choice to use a pet instead.
To use rootfs-packages applications (if I remember correctly) you must set the selection in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-${DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT}-${DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION} to "no" and check the relevant box in the UI that comes up.

slavvo67

#391 Post by slavvo67 »

Followed 666Philb's steps (above) to the T and it worked perfectly!

Thanks 666Philb - You're a class act!

Now, how do I add the 20 or so pets that I have that are not in the repositories?

peebee

#392 Post by peebee »

slavvo67 wrote:Followed 666Philb's steps (above) to the T and it worked perfectly!

Thanks 666Philb - You're a class act!

Now, how do I add the 20 or so pets that I have that are not in the repositories?
Hi slavvo67

4 step process:

1. add the pets to /local-repositories/x86/packages-pet

2. add lines to DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-xxxx to say you want to include the pets in your build

3. then the "harder part" - add descriptors for each pet in a suitable Packages-puppy-xxxx-official file - either an existing one or a new one for your distro [but then you need to change DISTRO_PET_REPOS to match] - the descriptors are the contents of the pet.specs file in each pet

4. ./2createpackages for each pet

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

slavvo67

#393 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Peebee:

Thank you.

Ahh but what if my repos are not in the cloud?

Thanks,

Slavvo67

peebee

#394 Post by peebee »

slavvo67 wrote:Hi Peebee:

Thank you.

Ahh but what if my repos are not in the cloud?

Thanks,

Slavvo67
Add them to an existing Packages-puppy-xxxx-official that is unlikely to change much - maybe common - and then in ./0setup ask for it not to be overwritten when your changes are detected.

As you have in effect manually downloaded, ./1download will be happy.

Bit messy I know but this scenario wasn't foreseen in the woof architecture....so you have to "bend" what's there to your purposes....

Try it with 1 pet to start with.

Woof-CE is not necessarily the right tool for all system builds - depends what you foresee as the future for your system really - remaster or woofy may be a more appropriate way to go. Or maybe combine your 20 pets into an adrv?

Also if your 20 pets are big then the woof-ce build time is going to increase significantly.....

slavvo67

#395 Post by slavvo67 »

Thanks Peebee! Most are scripts with a YAD interface, so they're not so big. - Thanks again!

Slavvo67

peebee

packages-templates

#396 Post by peebee »

Where do I find out about the format of items in packages-templates?

I see:
regular folders and files
pinstall.sh
FIXUPHACK
PLUSEXTRADIRS
PLUSEXTRAFILES
maybe etc.

and don't know what they all do??

slavvo67

#397 Post by slavvo67 »

pinstall.sh should make be the auto install for icons on the desktop.

Not sure about the others.

slavvo67

#398 Post by slavvo67 »

Any thoughts of incorporating Barry's Quirky products into Woof-CE?

jlst

Re: packages-templates

#399 Post by jlst »

peebee wrote:Where do I find out about the format of items in packages-templates?

I see:
regular folders and files
pinstall.sh
FIXUPHACK
PLUSEXTRADIRS
PLUSEXTRAFILES
maybe etc.

and don't know what they all do??
I wrote a long answer... but when I hit the submit button... I was already logged out.

Again:

pet packages
=========
pinstall.sh = post install script, it's used when installing a pet package and by the woof build scripts
puninstall.sh = script that is executed after uninstalling a package

packages-templates (woof)
=============
FIXUPHACK = script like pinstall.sh
PLUSEXTRADIRS = the presence of this file means that all subdirectories will be copied
PLUSEXTRAFILES = the presence of this file means that all files within the directory will be copied

Within the folder structure, if you specify certain filenames, only those files will be copied following the folder structure.

How do i know this... I was looking at the code in 2014.

This should be documented properly...

Pelo

Friends of mine complain about woof,

#400 Post by Pelo »

"It's sad that puplets remain oudated, while all these features are already available and waiting for someone to take advantage of them. And they don't cost money, so why not? "
Compare with your car, iguleder, would you change it each time a new model is released ? You should be always changing..
Woof seems difficult for people having tried it. Their purpose was to achieve a Puplet, and many gave up before having succeed in releasing something serviceable.
More help in woof would be great, they feel alone.