A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

#221 Post by watchdog »

I was missing a pulseaudio which works in tahr 6.03. I have compiled it. Pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

I have set it to use the auricolar at hw:1,0 as alsa-sink and the external mic at hw:0,0 as alsa-source. I have set in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

Code: Select all

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0
Dmix and dsnoop do not work in this pulseaudio for me. The above settings are the only settings which worked for my hardware. Feel free to experiment other settings with your hardware. You have to manual install skype and qt4 libraries. Untar skype4.3 tarball in /usr/share and simply rename the dir as /usr/share/skype. Then you can launch skype by the following script:

#!/bin/sh
pulseaudio --start
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/plugins
exec /usr/share/skype/skype "$@"
pulseaudio --kill
I have used qt-4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1.sfs.

EDIT: copy.com has been discontinued, I have updated the link to this pulseaudio using google drive.
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 05 May 2016, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

First steps with Skype (pre-installed Racy PRER 55)

#222 Post by Pelo »

i have never used Skype. But as Skype is installed in Racy PRER (17OCT2015) check further in your topic how this (famous) Skype works . (Boomarked)
I hope i will not l :? ose my time .
I read the topic to get advantage of your experience.
Ninotix provides - Skype 4.2.0.11 in its Racy PRER (17OCT2015). hum, and old version...
Searching the forum : Argolance from Puppy french team has set Skype working for his french ToOPpy users here
With audio, pulse installed.

watchdog

#223 Post by watchdog »

rufwoof

#224 Post by rufwoof »

I run Skype 4.3 under Slacko 5.3.3t and it all works fine. Mostly I use it for texting as I find it quicker to keyboard type than enter text using a mobile, but do make the occasional telephone call from the PC (puppy). Usually have to run sound setup and set my Netgen USB headphone as the sound output/input as otherwise I have speakers set as the default.

Only problem with puppy based skype I've found is when trying to set up multi-way calls. Rings all of phones, but can't all hear each other. That might just be my lack on understanding of how to use that feature.

I keep meaning to get one of those skype phones that you just leave plugged into the net (standalone) all of the time and get a skype telephone number. Saves on having to have the PC turned on. Or there are skype panels you can plug into your smart TV and have always on/ready video calling, all build into the device/panel (camera, skype program etc.).

There's a link to where I store sfs's etc on googledrive in this post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 846#773846

baszek

#225 Post by baszek »

Hello
I was running skype with script:

#!/bin/sh 
pulseaudio --start 
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/plugins 
exec /usr/share/skype/skype "$@" 
pulseaudio --kill
Now when I run this, I get:

W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
/tmp/runinterminal-436: line 3:   441 Aborted                 "/root/my-documents/skype"
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.
3 line is --> export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/plugins

Anyone know how to fix it ?

watchdog

#226 Post by watchdog »

Have you loaded a suitable qt4 sfs? qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs should be good. What puppy are you using, where did you find instructions for manual install of skype4.3?

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... ripped.sfs

Smithy

#227 Post by Smithy »

External usb audio devices might benefit from a cold boot of puppy.
Last edited by Smithy on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 20:37, edited 3 times in total.

baszek

#228 Post by baszek »

watchdog wrote:Have you loaded a suitable qt4 sfs? qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs should be good. What puppy are you using, where did you find instructions for manual install of skype4.3?

I am using Tahrpup. I have found instruction for manual install some where here at forum. It was working for 4 months - yesterday it just stopped.

I will check it asap if qt is loaded - it is my mum pc - I have to connect remotely ;-)
Ok - checked that and qt 4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1 is loaded

baszek

#229 Post by baszek »

baszek wrote:
watchdog wrote:Have you loaded a suitable qt4 sfs? qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs should be good. What puppy are you using, where did you find instructions for manual install of skype4.3?

I am using Tahrpup. I have found instruction for manual install some where here at forum. It was working for 4 months - yesterday it just stopped.

I will check it asap if qt is loaded - it is my mum pc - I have to connect remotely ;-)
Ok - checked that and qt 4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1 is loaded
OK - so all in all - I have changed to that new QT 4.8.2-stripped and it is working ;-)

Atle

#230 Post by Atle »

So skype works with the provided two pets found in the first page of this thread.

But to me its very annoying to have URXVT there as another "open program" and if i close that I also close skype.

The provided SFS in Slacko64 did nothing for me apart from bringing up error messages upon execution.

So this brings me to an issue I feel is important in Puppyland...

Could thoose that raises and issue and makes a thread be if so by force, provide whatever clever solutions that are withing the lets say a few hundred posts like in this thread or does every person in puppyland need to read 14 pages of posts in order to figure out if there was a sustainable solution or not?

This is the same in every thread i read that is long, and its just a big waste of puppytime as it should be in the interest of puppyland, the one that made the thread and all users from whereever.

I sometime feel that this forum is just as good as it is bad in the sense of there being such amount of information hidden in every 100 to even 1000 posts within a thread and there is no such thing as bringing the highlights, the discovered solutions or knowledge addditions, pets, sfs or whatever that is useful information.

This forum is just drowning in post and threads and if the one that makes a thread was pushed, forced or kindly asked to update the first post with whatever goodies the thread bring, one would meet that flood of information with a logical approach.

Like here... Do i really need to spend hours of reading to be sure i am not missing out on the best solution in order to run skype in Slacko 64?

atle

watchdog

#231 Post by watchdog »

Sorry, this was only a development thread and I'm only a volunteer with not so much skills as puppy developers. Read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 075#873075

It can help you. I tested slacko64 and I had skype running. Now I'm back to 32 bit puppies. For other puppies see the OscarTalks repository:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

olaf

#232 Post by olaf »

Hi!

16 Pages of this thread, and I understand .. nothing .. or not enough. I read about "slacko" and others, but is there any solution to install skype on puppy tahr?

bye
Olaf

watchdog

#233 Post by watchdog »

In puppy tahr there is an apulse skype in quickpet but it does not work for me. I have manually installed skype 4.3 using pulseaudio in my installation but to ease your job I can say to you the following steps:

1-load a qt4 sfs. I have qt-4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1.sfs:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 882#765882

2-install pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 429#860429

3-install the following pet with the base skype which should be distro independent:

The pulseaudio above works for me with auricolars and default mic. Try in console:

pulseaudio --start
Don't mind for the message about root user not recommended but you can read "Pulseaudio daemon startup failed" if it fails to start. In this case you can try to change the settings in /etc/pulse/default.pa about these two lines:

(read the thread for possible workarounds)

When pulseaudio starts in console you can be sure that launching skype from Menu-Internet works.

ac2011

#234 Post by ac2011 »

I had the same issue as others with the mic cutting out after a minute or so when video calling using the apulse SFS. So I reverted to the pulseaudio version.

I installed the bare Skype 4.3 PET that was posted earlier, then the appropriate pulseaudio PET. I already had Qt installed.

Note that when editing /etc/pulse/default.pa, the 'sink' setting is for the output (i.e. speakers) and the 'source' is for the microphone. On my machine I have this:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
because I'm using a USB webcam. If you have a USB webcam or microphone, try running this in a console to see what device it might be:

arecord -l|grep USB|sed -e 's/^card //' -e 's/:.* device /,/' -e 's/:.*//'|tail -n +1
On my PC it returns "1,0" which is what I added to /etc/pulse/default.pa for the 'source' line. Skype works fine like this, with no sound drops in video calls.

peebee

Skype for Linux Alpha

#235 Post by peebee »

I've had an email from Skype:
Introducing Skype for Linux (Alpha)
We’re proud to announce Skype for Linux (Alpha). With new, faster and more responsive Skype for Web UI, you can now share files, photos and videos — as well as enjoy our range of emoticons.
Looks like 64-bit only....
https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Sk ... -p/4434299
You will notice that with the Alpha version of Skype for Linux, which uses our next generation calling architecture, you will be able to call your friends and family on the latest versions of Skype on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, but you won’t be able to make or receive calls to and from the previous versions of Skype for Linux (4.3.0.37).
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

watchdog

#236 Post by watchdog »

Success in xenialpup64_7.0.7 using skypeforlinux-64-alpha.deb. It fails to create profile (libgnome-keyring stuff...) but copying the profile in /root/.config from an ubuntu xenial install it works. Allthough I think I'll stick with skype 4.3.0.37.

Mike Walsh

AT LAST!!

#237 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, watchdog!

You're an absolute marvel, man. I've just followed your reply to Olaf (4 posts above), and realised that I'd been reading this thread several months back.....but not recently.

I've been trying to get the audio working in Skype ever since I started with Puppy, over 2 years ago. I've tried so many different things that I've completely lost track of what I have (and haven't) done. I found this post, and thought, 'Shall I? Shan't I? Oh, hell; in for a penny.....let's give it another try...'

So I booted into Tahrpup, followed the three steps, opened Skype up from /usr/bin/skype, and.....WELL..!! You could have knocked me down with a feather, I was that gobsmacked. Finally; it's WORKING!!! Yay!!! :D :D

I was expecting to have to edit the config file, but straight off, it's working via the front headphone/mic sockets on my old Compaq PC. I use a combo headset, y'see; I gave up on the webcam's mike quite a while ago; this way is far better sound quality. (plus, of course, you can just talk at a normal level.)

Do I take it you need to start pulseaudio manually from the terminal each time? Or is the example you give just for the initial test?

Edit:- Ah, I see. It's in the /usr/bin/skype entry anyway. Fair enough...

Would you like one gold medal for this.....or two?? :lol:

Seriously, I can't thank you enough, mate. I can finally give the 'bum's rush' to the old copy of XP I keep hanging around, because this is literally the only thing I use it for.

And now.....I don't have to. Cheers!

BTW: What would be needed to get this working in Slacko 570, or Precise 571? I take it the Pulseaudio stuff has to be compiled specifically for each kernel, yes? Care to divulge the necessary steps? (*Pleeeeeease..!*) :lol:

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

Re: AT LAST!!

#238 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hiya, watchdog!

You're an absolute marvel, man.
Not sure! This thread is too big for me. I'll not do it again.
So I booted into Tahrpup, followed the three steps, opened Skype up from /usr/bin/skype, and.....WELL..!! You could have knocked me down with a feather, I was that gobsmacked. Finally; it's WORKING!!! Yay!!! :D :D
The bad news is that Microsoft announced the new release of skype now in development (only 64 bit for now). Skype 4.3.0.37 will be replaced and this thread will become obsolete.
BTW: What would be needed to get this working in Slacko 570, or Precise 571? I take it the Pulseaudio stuff has to be compiled specifically for each kernel, yes? Care to divulge the necessary steps? (*Pleeeeeease..!*) :lol:
The pulseaudio 2.0 is statically compiled in wary even for slacko 5.7 and precise. I compiled again it in tahr (version 4.0). It does not depend on kernel. Give a look to the OscarTalks repository. There are several packages: pick out that for your puppy.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

Mike Walsh

#239 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, watchdog.

Yes, I know all about the new version. I've got the alpha Linux version running in Tahr64 even as I speak.

It's a real shame, though, because no sooner does some worthy individual (in this case, your good self) manage to get the thing working properly, what do M$ go and do? Mess everything around again......

Typical.

Ah, well; we'll see what happens, shan't we? :roll: But thanks again for this.

watchdog

#240 Post by watchdog »

In puppy slacko-6.9.6.4 32 bit you can manually install skype 4.3 using tahr's pulseaudio. Steps:

1-Install by PPM qt-4.8.7 and its dependensies.

2-install pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 429#860429

3-install the following pet with the base skype which should be distro independent:

4-install the following libs from tahr 6.0.5 packaged for slacko:

fix-skype4.3-slacko-6.9.6.4.pet:

The pulseaudio above works for me with auricolars and default mic. I have found that the webcam's mic betterly works.
Try in console:

Code:
pulseaudio --start

Don't mind for the message about root user not recommended but you can read "Pulseaudio daemon startup failed" if it fails to start. In this case you can try to change the settings in /etc/pulse/default.pa about these two lines:

My webcam's mic works with:

load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:2,0

(read the thread for possible other workarounds)

When pulseaudio starts in console you can be sure that launching skype from Menu-Internet works.