Epson XP-200 Ink-jet WiFi Multifunction [SOLVED AGAIN]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
davids45

Epson XP-200 Ink-jet WiFi Multifunction [SOLVED AGAIN]

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I've just set up an Epson XP-200 multifunction ink-jet printer and had an initial problem in Puppy with a "filter" reported as failing.
The printer comes with Wifi so should function as the home network default printer. It was also quite cheap (A$55) :) .

I had set the printer up on my local network using the printer-supplied CD and a Windows7 laptop. The printer was given the address 192.168.2.13.

I found Linux drivers for the XP-200 in .rpm and .deb forms, both usable in Puppy.

From a Wheezy Pup, I installed the driver package which then appeared in the CUPS list of Epson drivers.
CUPS also found the printer at ldp://192.168.2.13:515/PASSTHRU
So I added the printer and set the defaults for A4 paper, but when trying to print a Test Page (Maintenance menu), I saw an error regarding a filter failure and nothing would print.

Always one to pick the wrong options first, I then tried the same CUPS process in other Pups with different CUPS versions (Slacko, Unicorn, Tahr) and got the same filter failure.

I then looked at rcrsn51's printer set-up thread (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015) and where he described setting up his Epson XP-310 (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 150#819150). But I got the same filter-failure after making the /etc/hosts changes.

I then tried some other Epson-listed drivers in CUPS and got semi-lucky as a few would print :) but the Test Page was colour-misaligned and over-size. But at least this showed the printer's address is correct and I needed to read more carefully the error message :oops: .

Consulting Google with my filter failure message (and completely missing rcrsn51's forum post (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 449#466449) on this very issue :oops: :oops: ) , it seemed that a ld-lsb.so.3 file was missing and others had found simply creating a symlink to ld-lsdb.so.2 would fix their problems (e.g. with Google Earth not running, so this filter failure is not just in getting printers to work).

So I created a new sym-link in /lib from the ld lib file that was there in Puppy'd /lib (ld-2.13.so).

And now the new XP-100 printer prints as expected :D .

David S.
Attachments
filter_fail.jpg
(110.97 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
symlnk_ldlib.jpg
(49.77 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
Last edited by davids45 on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since you started at How to Install your Printer in Puppy, your next step should have been the Epson section. The ready-made PET sets up that symlink for you.

That would have saved you the random Googling.

davids45

FluxPup.1.6.0 printing problem

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Using rcrsn51's various posts :D on the subject, I have now the scanner function of my Epson XP200 working across my Pup collection - Peasyscan and the Epson Image Scan giving me a choice of software to employ.

After successfully setting up quite a few Pups with the printer, I did decide to re-do them, this time giving the XP200 a static IP address. Perhaps because of other devices logging on to my network, the DHCP address for the XP200 was changed and suddenly it was no longer available as a network printer/scanner.

I used the Epson NetConfig package (via a Windows7 laptop) to change the XP200 to a static address (I picked 192.168.2.102, being outside router's the DHCP auto-range). This was done across my Pups collection by simply editing each /etc/hosts file and /etc/sane.d/epkowa.config file adding the new static IP address, and modifying the printer within CUPS Administration where the re-addressed Epson generally showed up as a new network printer. All pretty simple if a bit 'manual'.

It was all going 'swimmingly' until....
I'm posting from FluxPup-1.6.0 which is not printing with the XP200 :?
My FluxPup's CUPS version is 1.4.2, its kernel is 3.9.11 using Precise as the files source (DistroSpecs info).

If I try to print a test-page, I get an 'unsupported format' and 'application/vnd.cups-banner' message for the testprint file located in /usr/share/cups/data/.
I tried updating ghostscript (from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6) without printing success. The testprint.ps file displays if clicked, so gs is working I assume.
I tried changing the format of the testprint file (e.g. to plain text) but the message from CUPS now said this too was an unsupported format.

FluxPup is fine with the scanner side of the XP200 and with my
FujiXerox networked colour laser.

FluxPup Full & FluxPup Frugal both wont print via the XP200 in this
way but both will scan apparently.

This is not a big issue as I have plenty of Pups happily printing via the Epson-XP200 but I would like to know what's happening with FluxPup, just in case it happens with any other Pup.

Thanks for any guidance or advice,
David S.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I went looking for Fluxpup and found that it had been abandoned before anyone had tested printers.

When it was built from woof, a CUPS component was omitted. Install the PET below.

Your FujiXerox works because it uses its own CUPS filter that is part of the driver package.
Attachments
gstoraster_s533-9.05.pet
(9.93 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

davids45

FluxPup non-printing problem

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks for taking the trouble to look for FluxPup.

My oldish computers tend to have unpredictable crashes with the very latest Pups (I look for non-PAE versions of these whenever available). So I resurrect older Pups when in the mood for trying something different.

I'll try out your pet on the FluxPups and report back, and with any other old Pups that I haven't yet set up with the Epson and that give me the same problem.

Hopefully, any Pups still to set up on my main desktop will have had more "development" than FluxPup :D .

Thanks again,
David S.

davids45

FluxPups (Full & Frugal) now printing

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I ran your pet in both the Full FluxPup and the Frugal FluxPup, and both now print a test page from CUPS to my Epson XP200.

Thanks again,

David S.

davids45

Slackware-based driver? [SOLVED?]

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

:oops:

Can anyone direct me to a source for a Epson-XP200 driver that is slackware compatible? At least, I hope that's my problem :shock: .

My networked XP200 printer is working fine with almost all ubuntu-derived Pups and Wheezy-Pups, ... but only a couple of older slacko Pups are printing on my set-up.

My "source" driver was either the .deb or tar.gz Epson 201204w-1.0.0.1lsb3.2 version. I also briefly tried the 2016 Epson escpr-1.6.3-1lbs3.2 versions without success.

I made an sfs for the Pup frugals to load the Epson driver to /opt/ and do the /usr/lib/ fix for ld-lsb.so.3. (is this lib file my problem perhaps with slackos - in the sfs, ld-lsb.so.3 has been copied from a tahr Pup?)
:oops: :oops: YES! After composing this post, I thought to myself I should try removing the tahr-copied ld-lsb.so.3, so deleting the sfs-loaded ld-lsb.so.3 file and doing the manual link in a slacko that was not printing, now it does print! So I'll need 2 different .sfs for the frugals to run the networked printer - one with a tahr/ubuntu ld-lsb.so.3 for the tahrs and one with a slackware ld-lsb.so.3 for the slackos. Well, that's my working hypothesis until reality kicks in again.
Update: I'm using just the one, lib-file-free sfs of the Epson-driver package and manually doing the ld-lsb.so.3 file change in /lib. Only slacko-6.3.0 won't print amongst my many slackos, so I'm thinking its newer library file is causing the filter-failure when trying the sym-link 'fix' :? .

My boot-loaded sfs is fine in e.g. tahr frugals but "filter fails" when I try to print a CUPS test print in a slacko frugal.

Any more information needed or what should I try with the slackos?

Thanks,

David S.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Back in September, I pointed you to the Epson printer thread. It has a ready-made PET that works with many Puppies. It also has instructions for doing the symlink if you are using an alternate install procedure.

I have tested the PET in Slacko 630 and it works.

Because you have switched to SFS packages, it's impossible to comment further.

davids45

Epson XP-200 printer pets

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm encouraged by your success with slacko-6.3.0 :) .

I'll retry the Epson pets I already have downloaded and the escpr-1.4.0 linked from your earlier post which I had not.

I've found my slackos from 5.9.3 to 6.3.0 'filter fail' but those before (e.g. slacko-5.6) print with the 1.0.0.1-1lsb driver I got from the Epson website (in .deb format). This .deb was used as the basis of the .sfs for my sfs trials.

Two "newer" slacko exceptions are two LxPupSc versions both of which print for me via the sfs. Maybe these are not based on slacko as such, but more on slackware? Still puzzling.

Re: sfs vs pet
I am trying to set up an sfs for the XP-200 as this seems simpler with trying new Pups as Frugals. My 'best of all possible worlds' sfs would include the scanner driver and the ink-level utility as well as the printer driver :shock: . Breath-holding not required.

Thanks again,

David S.

davids45

Pet epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.4.0.pet

#10 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

The usual, but still very appreciative, 'many thanks' :D .

Your escpr-1.4.0 pet (http://www.datafilehost.com/d/fd34f3b7 ) has allowed me to now print with my various slackos.

Looking at the non-working driver packages I've been vainly trying with slackos, these only put files into /opt.

Whereas your 1.4.0 pet loads the ppds to /usr/cups/model/ and also has a 'wrapper' filter file in /opt/cups/lib/filter, not present in the others I've been trying. Which would help explain some of the filter errors I had been seeing.

An .sfs of your pet also is working in my frugal Slackos. I deleted all the ppds of printers I don't have before making the sfs.

Is there likely to be any benefit in the escpr-1.6.3 package I had downloaded from the Epson site? I assumed this was an update on the escpr-1.4.0 version, but of course, didn't get it to work :oops: .

David S.

rcrsn51

Re: Pet epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.4.0.pet

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

davids45 wrote:Is there likely to be any benefit in the escpr-1.6.3 package I had downloaded from the Epson site? I assumed this was an update on the escpr-1.4.0 version, but of course, didn't get it to work
It appears to be the same standard Epson driver, but with additional PPDs for new models.

I built a new PET from it and it works fine. But you need to set up the symlink correctly. The PET does this from its post-install script.