Slacko5.7-eee2017 and mini-eee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
8Geee

Slacko5.7-eee2017 and mini-eee

#1 Post by 8Geee »

The 2017 "c" edition of Puppy Slacko-5.7 built for the EEEpc series 7, 9, and 100x.

Many thanks to HoerMirAuf for the Puppy Package to migrate openssl 101 to 102. The initial instal was 102g, I have updated to 102j.
The topiccan be found here.

All servers and shares remain intact: the trimming is the removal of other unneeded video-drivers (only i915 is here). Additional screenys in ~/my-applications/MyFiles

2/9/2017
openSSL, X11 series, libpng, expat, gcrypt, curl, and gnutls all updated with symlinks.
FF27 tweaked to fix concerns with pdfjs, and SVG files.
-----------------------------------------------------
Feb. 09, 2017
size: 156925952 bytes (149.656Mb) +2.24Mb
md5 : fce39e598deffb3571c728946747
sha1: 0983b080826ccb45e9b68f9ab8afc0f7ab4b2331

-------------------------------------------------------
As in previous editions Slacko-eee2017 can fit in a 640Mb partition with a 256Mb save-file. EXT3 filesystem and save-file is recommended.
Last edited by 8Geee on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 01:24, edited 6 times in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

unicorn316386

#2 Post by unicorn316386 »

A few quick questions:
- Is there any reason why you're using Firefox 27.0.1 instead of 28? From what I understand, 28 has around 4000 bugfixes with no negatives, but I am wondering I'm missing something (here is a 28 in an sfs with some privacy settings already added)
- Is there any benefit to having Adblock Edge included over uBlock (what the Adblock Edge author recommends) or just using Pup-Advert Blocker (what I've been using lately, which apparently blocks things earlier before they hit the browser) instead?
- Have you considered using kernel 3.14.55? It seems to detect "ondemand" CPU scaling right away and "suspend" seems to work better when I re-open the lid on my laptop (it responds right away instead of after I hit the power button twice)
- As a side comment: A link to the "generic slacko5.7-2016" in the original post might be useful, though this 5.7-2016eee seems to be working on my Latitude D410 so far (but I did get some odd pauses in firefox, might be one of the extensions)

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

I stick with what works at a minimal footprint. FF28 or 27 was a close call, I decided to take on 27 to run through about:config settings. There are still security problems up to FF39 at a much larger footprint, with more disabling required.

UBlock has a binary blob that gets big very fast. ABE can be configured to remove the extra copies of the two main files... reducing the footprint to 8-9Mb as of this date. The binary blob in UBlock gets to 30Mb rather quickly.

No kernal swapping in Slacko5.7. At least not like in 6.3. And given the choice of kernals 3.18.22 LTS is a better choice, or 3.19.x. GLIBC gets updated... thats a big, and needed update. Barring that, I've gone far with what I have at hand.

If you look at the FF27.0.1 included, its all in ~/ so its like one click or two to fully uninstall (.mozilla). Theres no parsed browser here located in usr and root. Just simple, I don't like it, remove it. No need for sfs.

Being a Holiday last night I got both uploaded, but didn't get to the writeup of the main version, Thats immediately next this morning (DONE 1135UT). Besides, the real idea is the EEEpc version thats easy to use, The main distro literally is a convienient afterthought... theres plenty in Puppy to choose from. Updates to the original Slacko5.7 and tweaking the browser would get one to nearly the same place.

unicorn316386

#4 Post by unicorn316386 »

Thanks for the reply and these details 8Geee. I agree that minimal footprint is good (newer FF kills 1GB RAM fast :lol: ), and that changing kernels in 5.7 seems less viable (I wonder how rufwoof does it in wary 5.3?). FF27 still seems to be more compatible with pages than Pale Moon without useragent tricks (based on FF24esr). I forgot if 5.7 has Pup-Advert Blocker, I know it's in 6.3 though (have been using ABE/uBlock forever also and didn't even know about the editing etc/hosts way until recently).

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Its all in the tweaking of about config! Keeping the SSL3 out, and some TLS1.0 out means a better experience page-to-page. Coupled with the Slackware 14.0 security patches means the 'puter and browser function hand-in-glove.

IMHO most regular folks don't quite get this functionality of OS AND BROWSER together, its a M$ thing... and is a good idea even if M$ borked it. /MHO

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

Missed your ? about PupAdvert Blocker. At least the shell is there in the Disabled Menu column. MENU --> System --> Menu Manager. Having ABE, I decided to move PupAB to 'disabled' (not listed). BTW ABE is reading only 7.2Mb here.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Openssl 1.0.1r

#7 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1r from the 'q' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Both the 'solibs' and the actual version is downloaded. When done perform a reboot or shutdown/restart.

Regards
8Geee

Pelo

downloaded, for casting on USB pendrive.

#8 Post by Pelo »

downloaded, for casting on USB pendrive.
I download quite all Puppies. The spirit is that puppy builders should test the puplets of each other, like at school we had our copy controlled by our friends to get their opinions
Perhaps i will not keep yours in my collections, nevertheless you will have had an opinion, and perhaps some defaults corrected.
Only puplets can have some interest, slacko is really standard production.. inventive has gone !
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Loaded goffice SFS version Wary

#9 Post by Pelo »

Bookmarks password, wireless setting, all is recognized at reboot : no bug
Loaded goffice SFS version Wary ; gnumeric tested in bank accounts, not bug. I don't know anybody who does need a computer to check easily its bank account, Removing that kind of stuff from puppy will get some newbies leaving at once. Libre office will kill the puppy power on eeepc . Running RAM is Puppy's advantage, most users still have their old XP laptop, bought around 2005, for linuxing while children play the tablet.

Ah FF27 was available here, at the LH top corner of the desktop, :) well ! I can unload my Seamonkey. Firefox does not appears in menu internet, that is why i loaded seamonkey... something to change..
RAM usage climbs to 320MB when firefox opens. That will be OK on my old Acer Aspire 1640. (only one processor)

Youtube informs that FF27 soon will no longer be accepted
HTML 5 ? instead of Flashplayer i suppose.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 05 Oct 2016, 08:34, edited 4 times in total.

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

Pelo:
Hmmmm check your timezone setting and day/date/time. Very odd error.

There is much that can be trimmed from this puppy IF you investigate the modem and the video driver. IF the kernel has the modem, then all the modules can be removed. When discovering the video, the others can be removed. A large removal!

Pelo

Abiword version without errors for Slacko 5.7-2016eee.

#11 Post by Pelo »

Ah, that was done by the user Pelo before you tell him ! he is making great progress in linuxing :) nevertheless he failed finding Abiword version without errors for Slacko 5.7-2016eee. Those from PPM are huge, with Qt, evince, stop ! :evil:
I would understand Abiword reject is due to Slacko, but other puplets based on Slacko 5.7 includes it. Slacko is loosing spare parts getting in teenaging (2010) like an old car? The newer the kernel is, the less applications you can use.
Micko should take some time to look at applications, to get them fit the kernel, Slacko is getting away from reality, from users, from the world,
He cannot install brand new engines without changing hoses and seals to link them to applications. Puppy is a tiny OS, i like it. It's different from Slackware. Puppy as Slacko 5.3.3thin was trimming the fat.
Songbird You need Music when you practice Linux ?
I got IT ! here by the generous donor TheAsterix "I've installed and tested it on Slacko-531. It complains about a few gstreamer libraries and such on startup, but everything seems to work well nonetheless. " he says.

:D Hmmmm check your timezone setting and day/date/time. Very odd error.
ok i change it to Paris France.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 08:42, edited 6 times in total.

8Geee

#12 Post by 8Geee »

Yes, there is problem(s) with abiword, and the spreadsheet. I thought I left them both in...
but when I trim puppy for me, I discard them. The eee version when it is trimmed without sharing and without server-programs, and without the modules and spelling help, and without the scanner (but the printer is ok) is 125.9Mb iso (compared to 143.4Mb for eee). It is "tineee" :)

Ragards
8Geee

Pelo

it's a good one, I/O OSMO, try Sunbird (lightning nowadays)

#13 Post by Pelo »

it's a good one, trimed for what it has to do. and computers where it's supposed to run." Puppy as Slacko 5.3.3thin was trimming the fat" Slack 5.7-2016eee too, perhaps a little bit too much. :)
Osmo is a list of contacts, a ToDoList, and a calender. As Slacko 5.7 - 2016eee has deleted this application, take advantage to renew your Slacko menu, never changed through ages, try Sunbird, much more pretty, and which will give you pleasure to fullfill it. Osmo is a very good agenda, but so sad... for a brand new laptop :) with at least 4GB of RAM.
sunbird-1.0b.sfs: 9684 K. It's not a bird born to-day, but try it. :!: it does its job.
I will feed back isf a newer version is available for Slacko

Sure you could install thunderbird too, with ligthning included. Bigger, that is much bigger. Or re-install OSMO :?
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

mini-jaguar

#14 Post by mini-jaguar »

I have a couple of comments/suggestions, but they are not strictly about the new version, as they were present before:
1. The page for the initial settings is too big for a 700/701 screen, and it is impossible to click the "OK". However, not a big problem as these settings can be found elsewhere.
2. mhwaveedit is indeed included, but it has to be activated by console. It would make sense to have a menu item for it too.
3. I couldn't find a way to change the wallpaper. I don't know how much memory was saved by removing the wallpaper changer, but I would imagine not a lot. Other wallpapers are included as well, they could have been trashed if this was an issue.
4. There are is no battery power scaling tool. This is easily remedied by installing Pemasu's ACPI .pet, so not a problem. I believe this was included in the original Puppeee. It would make more sense to include this.
5. It would have been nice if there was a program to record video like guvcview, as there is a camera there.

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

The wall paper is found in the usual puppy places AND is also found in /root/my-applications/MyFiles. Nathan's wallpaper was removed as one can right-click any drive icon and select backgrounds... drag n drop.

Recording video thru camera. The surf models and the 900a don't have one. So I'd like to recommend everyone use what they prefer.

This might be a moot point by now, but the chip in tthese replacement batteries are quite dumb. If you run on batteries tull near exhaustion, then partially charge before using again... guess what... you lost the remaining capacity! The original ASUS eee batteries don't have this problem. From what I see in this version, hover over battery symbol shows % remain based on granularity.

Yeah, the original scriipt-writers didn't forsee use in a 600x1024 environment, let alone 480x800. Even xorgwizard has to be invoked on the 700 series. :(

Regards
8Geee

mini-jaguar

#16 Post by mini-jaguar »

The wallpaper setter has not been removed, I just found it. You have to type in "wallpaper" in the console and it comes up. It automatically accesses the ones in root and not the ones in usr/share/backgrounds (which aren't as good as the ones in root in my opinion).

I do not know what you mean by drag and drop to set the wallpaper.

As for a video recorder, there is indeed pavrecord in there, but again it has been removed by the menu.

I have the original battery in mine, holds maybe half an hour. But the point I was making was that with that .pet I can go into power saving mode so I don't use up battery power as fast, and also so it doesn't get as hot.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

The drag n drop... When you right-click on any drive icon and select 'backdrop' a GUI-box opens. In that box is an area where you can drag a picture. When releasing the mouse-button, new wallpaper. IIRC it's default setting is tile, I think stretch should be set not knowing the size of the image.

I have an 88Watt (77 really) super-sized aftermarket batt in the 900a. My original 44Watt gave up 1/2 power, so its in reserve.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Recent updates

#18 Post by 8Geee »

I've been doing some updates via Slackware recently. As you may know from the first post, gnutls, nettle, and libpng were upgraded upon initial release. Since then openssl1.0.1q to r has been announced here. Now curl has been updated, and the old version installed by 01Micko in the original slacko5.7 release is far out-of-date. Curl is now at version 7.4.7 and I took the chance to D/L and install. As with some other updates, there are symlinks that need to be made between old and new files within the update. So far these are limited, but are important to do because of possibly calling the old, less-secure version at all. In the next few days, this eee version will get the update to eee2.

The eee2 version will include openssl 1.0.1r, libsnd 1.0.26, flac 1.3.1, and curl 7.4.7.
Shortly after that the base respin s57-2016 will be updated as 'a'. An md5sum and sha1sum will be provided.

Now for the bad news... since slacko5.7 went live back in March '14 (two years already?) PHP has moved from 5.4.14.1 to 5.6.x. There are warnings about upgrade due to rewriting of the code that makes some things incompatible. One has to go from 5.4.x to 5.5.x to 5.6.x. This is a large migration, and is complex. I can't do that kind of upgrading. In the meantime upgrading these other things help to insure that the latest database of certs, calls, and SSL/TLS habits are at a high security level. As you know more and more of the web is going 'https'.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Version eee2

#19 Post by 8Geee »

s57-2016eee2 is now ready, and uploaded.
Please see first post on page 1.
This is a rather sweeping security update.
I delayed one day to get libgcrypt 1.5.5 installed and patched (symlink).

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

openssl 1.0.1s update

#20 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1s from the 'r' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. One of the key reasons for this update is a SSLv.2 attack that uses a high security method, and weakens it to SSLv.2.The hackable server can relay credentials over a low security path. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Download the 'solibs' first, then the openssl update. When finished either a shutdown/restart or reboot is needed. You may remove the /usr/docs/openssl documentation directory if you wish.

Regards
8Geee