Puppy and network storage Mega sync

Booting, installing, newbie
Tipi

Puppy and network storage Mega sync

#1 Post by Tipi »

Hello puppy people,

First of all i stumbled upon Puppy through these website.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive- ... d-8-1.html
https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-us ... linux.html

I'm using a Lenovo ideapad y500: i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 8gb ram, GeForce GT 650M, 500gb hdd, OEM.

I did something stupid during an unplanned clean-up of my windows 8.1
Lenovo y500 ideapad system. I deleted too much drivers and stuff from autorun. After i deleted my recovery images and system restores first.
So i rebooted it, couldn't get into Windows 8.1, getting BSODs. No safemode neither. I tried much including what they write on those 2 links. Fixboot, changing from AHCI to IDE in BIOS and all sorts of commands in console. Then i downloaded a bootable Windows 8 iso file, make it bootable on a flashdrive. From there on i tried a new install. Couldn't get further in partition table because my partitions are GPT...

I put 5.2.8 Lucid Puppy on the USB pen drive, as i gave up saving the windows 8.1. And proceed to saving the data i had. Those are mostly games. And i don't have a secondary hard drive or computer with much storage. I initially thought of Google Drive. But needing more than the 15GB free account gives you. I searched for another network storage. I found Mega.nz and paid 4.99 euro for 200gb and 1TB bandwidth. As im writing this i've uploaded 72GB already. But i was wondering about this Mega Sync client. They offer you also for linux inside your online account. Inside a dropdown menu you have to select your distro. Puppy not in there but Ubuntu does.

The question is how is: How to install this Mega sync client for Puppy? And does this offer faster upload speed or not. Or is a puppy distro required on my hard drive itself to be installed for the Mega client to work?

Because i'm willing to do that but need help because of my GPT partitions.
Without damaging the windows partition which has a size of 418.1GB.
I cleaned up a 20gb partition which is still NTFS filesystem.

And which distro is best for me to install. I would like to play some games, while i'm waiting for all my data i want to recover, to be uploaded on the Mega cloud.

Credits for puppy being the first linux distro i ever tried in my life and got working. Tried Debian and Gentoo in the past. never got further then setting up working internet which is essential for me. Even what i'm doing now is working, but just takes quite some time. I'm glad and satisfied with Puppy providing me a solution. :)

Thanks in advance,

Tipi

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Try Here
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

How to install this Mega sync client for Puppy? And does this offer faster upload speed or not?
Aboard 528 you'd most likely struggle with Mega. IMO, they SUCK!

If however your box has the horsepower, you can get away running the latest FF.

Still, I highly doubt 528 can run the pkg referenced by Trapster.

It appears you'd need Precise 5.71 @ minimum.
Last edited by Semme on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

528 ain't gonna fly with that pkg.

That you'd like to improve upload speeds, I doubt their FF extension helps..
This extension will allow you to install MEGA into your browser. It will reduce loading times, improve download performance and strengthen security.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Tipi

#5 Post by Tipi »

Hi,

I've already learned about the topic on this forum that Trapster refereinced.
Thats why i came here first to ask if the Mega sync client thing is really worth it. I also share the same doubts that Semme has. If it will be faster.

To Semme, i'm running and typing this in the latest Firefox updated to 43.0.4.
And also using the mega extension thing in Firefox that states that
This extension will allow you to install MEGA into your browser. It will reduce loading times, improve download performance and strengthen security.
It allows you to do a folder upload instead of just uploading file by file.
Which is crucial for me but also works. However every time i upload the folder.
It asks me to download the mega sync client as well. So it comes on top of the extension for firefox.
Lastly i also re-upload the folders from time to time. As Firefox occasionally crashes. Mostly when i'm browsing on websites with many flash ads. When my laptop runs at night uploading it luckily doesn't crash. Speeds vary from 1.4mb/s during night and 50kb/s during the day.

As far as i am concerned i just have some patience. 96GB is uploaded so i am halfway there. Just wanted to explore a full Puppy distro its functionality.
Since i'm pretty much tied to not letting my Firefox browser crash during uploading.

So now i ask if its possible for me to install a suitable puppy distro, on my GPT partitions?

That lets me do my uploading operation. And i can run some emulator and play a .rom for in the meanwhile? that would be much appreciated.

Because i'm also thinking about installing puppy on my mom's IBM laptop. Its a old one, that can barely handle windows XP. But microsoft outlook is a primary goal for her. As she don't know how to access an internet based e-mail client. And enables some basic internet browsing. Is it achievable?

In the future i would like to make a transit from windows to another OS too. Microsoft's increasingly aggressive marketing and commercing is guilty for that.

By the way, i have only a 500GB internal HDD. but is divided into 6 partitions. 4 of them being NTFS. the other 2 are vfat and 1000mb and 260mb sized. Lenovo did it like this i believe. As one partition contains a OneKey recovery utility. but unfortunately in my case only gives a destructive windows install. as i don't have images.

So i am hoping for a green light that you guys can give about installing puppy with these GPT partitions. As assumed that its related to UEFI. And i don't have much knowledge about that, and how to do it. If it's possible at all without damaging it any further.

I got http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/ in front of me.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Before I suggest anything, you HAVE and CAN burn an ISO CD with this Lenovo, correct?

Have you ever burned an ISO to CD?

Tipi

#7 Post by Tipi »

Yes, i have a DVD+RW and burned cd's but always on windows.
Don't have any empty dvd's or cd's laying around. I seldom burn disks.
My pen drive has 8GB capacity. Isn't it sufficient?
Else i have to wait till Monday i can buy some empty dvd's.

I also cannot save the puppy.sfs file when shutting down or rebooting the system. So have to setup network and get Firefox package every time. Puppy gives the error i don't have any partitions to save to.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Not sure what GPT is as I haven't had time. I have however saved various pups on my UEFI enabled box.

I'll go into BIOS later and see if I can remember what I did to allow the those saves.

I'm willing to bet you'll be able to do the same.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Ahh.. GPT! This is something like a flying DeLorean, right? :D

Tipi

#10 Post by Tipi »

Yes its exactly like a flying DeLorean time machine :lol:
Thanks for the usable information i can work something out of it tomorrow.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

@Semme; That's a fairly apt description, mate! If you fancy researching it a bit, I'd be 'all ears', too.

@Tipi: Welcome to the 'kennels', by the way.

Only a 500GB hard drive, he says! I have an positively ancient Dell Inspiron laptop (2002 vintage); started off with a 'P4-gen' Celeron (slow as molasses!), 128 MB of RAM, and a 20 GB hard drive.

It now sports a 'proper' 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, 1 GB of RAM (all the motherboard will support).....and a 32 GB PATA/IDE solid state drive. It runs Tahrpup 6.03 (one of the most recent releases), and X-Slacko 2.3.2 (the 'classic' Slacko 5.7.0, with the XFCE desktop.....very Windows-like.) And for data storage I use a pair of 64 GB 'nano' flash drives permanently plugged into two of the USB ports. I have 'Downloads', 'my-documents', and 'Mike's Stuff' on these, symlinked into /root.

If this old girl of mine will run them, I'm sure yours would be able to as well. It might, however, mean re-formatting your drive to the older MBR setup; like Semme, I've heard about the GPT partition scheme, but don't know too much about it, never having had the need to do so as yet. And with your Windows 8 install, you might not want to do so, either. I think more research is needed here.

(And I don't tend to use those sort of sizes of hard drive. Mine are all sub-1 TB).

You'll be quite pleasantly surprised at just what you can do with Puppy, though, despite its modest size. It's a miniature marvel of economic coding. And the 'frugal' install method makes it incredibly flexible; you can even install it inside a Windows set-up.....and I'm not talking about a 'virtual' machine, either.

Mike. :wink:

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

:D Mike, you're a pisser!

I've seen MikeB logged on as well and would luv for him to jump back into the mix.

:kisses_smiley: Miss ya'Mike! <wink><wink><wink>