evolutions...

Promote Puppy !
oui

evolutions...

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I did feel me pissed on as the new Puppys / Quirkys did come.

I did feel me pissed on as I did see, that the community did react very negative or sometimes aggressive to the real progressive work of RSH, a very long, no, extremely long time work in company of the school teacher Schutzhund (Wolfgang), probably the only one Puppy user working daily with a park of PC's in Puppy linux over 100 pieces of PC's...

As the new Puppys / Quirkys did come, I was in the first time very happy: I did see in Quirky 5.49 a progress: more simple. Only the ability to remaster was loose... Short time after that came Quirky 6 with his terrifiant need of RAM. My son did see my preoccupation with this matter. He knows that Puppy signify a lot for me (you can my registering date at this forum a the left side of this message! And, at this time, as I did never really learn English, it was very difficult to follow that what did happen! Today, I can write what I will in my own English dialect :wink: with an reduced choice of word and a lot of word coming directly from my mother tongue, French, as French is also a kind of mother tongue of English...). I did explain him the evolution and he did laugh: No problem dad, my actual PC is to old for me, I am not student any more and will so and so buy a new one. My laptop is born about 2009 it is really old, but with Quad-processor and 8 Gb you can oppen all Puppy's you want! Take this Laptop: I already have a new one! And his wife did give her old MacBook to my wife being constantly under Puppy / NuTyx (both did have periods, where it was not possible to continue: visualisation, printing etc.) since 2004 or few more early! No uindoo more since 2004 at home excepted for home banking as it is absolutely condition. Always Puppy if going or NuTyx if not. Now, she uses MacOS of course as don't find some clear and easy way to install Puppy on the EFI system and will not learn somewhat other than grub! She has only 2 Gb RAM in the MacBook so that divers new Quirky stay closed... And they would need a complete new partition! Regarding this evolution, I will say that the Puppy community exclude actually 10 year constant users instead to try to acquire the ability to run on the classic products of the market... Is that good for a community?

Having now the desired 8 Gb opening all doors of Puppy / Quirky I did discover the really attractive new one requiring new empty partition or if not extrem much RAM (over 4 GB if I right understand what happens... Because, I did, of course, not read the README to install downloadable separately because of my bad English (I have to much English to read... It causes efforts. Some forum users can't not understand, using slangs, short cuts and abreviations, that THIS forum especially groups a lot of user as I making a great effort to follow, only because of the language (no, I am NOT handicapped: I speak a second language what is absolutely not my mother tongue, German, and can read on and think in Russian and did learn as well Latin as classic Greek). So, to avoid to read and seeing that it is to use the new Puppys / Quirkys as live ISOs, I start them frugal and live without some save file.

I did discover so, that save files are a little completely un-needing thing (divers hobby developers did create there Puplets observing that constatation: no invitation to create some save file, it is nonsense - why a menu and over that an invitation extra? Those action can be placed on the menu or under the icon to set up Puppy! Why a 3thd place over that? I was good in Puppy 1.7 (about, I can not the remember the real release where it did happen) as it was new! And the default value had never should have been "yes" as it is yet the fact 10 years later: The user using at the first time can move ONCE only the cursor from NO to YES instead to force the other users never using a save file to do that EACH RESTART ELSE IF IT IS 10 TIME THE DAY! Same thing for the lovely little greeting windows after new starts! Why? :?: :evil: An icon "1st start hit here" would be enough and a redirection to "Setting up" :idea: . This design of the start / restart is absurd. I don't like save file because it would be easily possible to copy in a central only one file ALL MY PRIVATE SETTINGS and a lot of MY VALUES as Seamonkey etc. saves all in it!

This is nonsens: This part of setting can be in a great part centralised in the grub starting file.

As Puppy did force me in some kind to get PC power, I constate today that the actual (daily version) of Lubuntu 16.04 starts about double faster that each Puppy I use (probably because a different use of the data compression) :roll: using following grub.cfg (yes, I know, Puppy will continue to ignore the official actual grub from GNU):

Code: Select all

menuentry "Gnewsense 3.1" { 
    insmod loopback 
    insmod iso9660 
    set isofile="/gnewsense-live-3.1-amd64-gnome.iso" 
    #recherche de la partition dans laquelle se trouve le fichier ISO et montage de celle ci dans "/" 
    search -sf $isofile 
    #Montage du fichier ISO dans (loop)/ 
    loopback loop $isofile 
    echo   'Chargement du noyau Linux ...' 
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=live file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash -- 
    echo   'Chargement du disque mémoire initial ...' 
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img 
} 

menuentry "Mint 17.02" { 
    insmod loopback 
    insmod iso9660 
    set isofile="/linuxmint-17.2-kde-32bit.iso" 
    #recherche de la partition dans laquelle se trouve le fichier ISO et montage de celle ci dans "/" 
    search -sf $isofile 
    loopback loop $isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash -- 
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz 
} 

menuentry "Trisquel 7.0" { 
    insmod loopback 
    insmod iso9660 
    set isofile="/trisquel_7.0_i686.iso" 
    search -sf $isofile 
    loopback loop $isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash -- 
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd 
} 

menuentry "Ubuntu 16.04" { 
    insmod loopback 
    insmod iso9660 
    set isofile="/xenial-desktop-i386.iso" 
    search -sf $isofile 
    loopback loop $isofile 
} 

menuentry "Vinux 5.0" { 
    insmod loopback 
    insmod iso9660 
    set isofile="/vinux-5.0-i386.iso" 
    search -sf $isofile 
    loopback loop $isofile 
}
note1: Gnewsense does not start with those commands (probably an error of me, or, live is not adequate and casper an obligation), but the other one go! But lubuntu is extremely fast...

note2: if you try lubunty 16.04 live you will probably wish superuser rights making only that:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
:wink:

this technical design of start correspond about to the start in LazyUnicorn (but the way is, of course, completely different). a lot of parameters allow in the starting file to permit to start comfortable without some greeting window! No greeting window disturb users not willing to use some save file! Why save file and, other that, partitions icons... That is like belts and suspenders at the same time! We are not handicapped and need teacher all the time behind us...

using lubuntu, I would have 90 % of the main characteristics of Puppy! Using Puppy I have 90 % if the characteristics of Lubuntu .. as far as the installation of all dependencies success :roll: . Hm... :twisted: In the other case, you have to resort to packages from Puppy's ... often not available / compatible with all versions.

quo vadis, Puppy?

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

RSH,....certainly a great talent.

Chris.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Quirky is not intended for normal use.
Read about it here:
http://bkhome.org/quirky/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

cthisbear wrote:RSH,....certainly a great talent.

Chris.
I wonder where that troll RSH is?

oui

#5 Post by oui »

bark_bark_bark wrote:

Chris.
oh barkbarkbark ... poor troll yourself :oops:

bark_bark_bark

#6 Post by bark_bark_bark »

oui wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:

Chris.
oh barkbarkbark ... poor troll yourself :oops:
Nah, I'm not a troll.

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Nah, I'm not a troll.
Seconded. Misunderstood... yes. Easy to trigger... also yes. Troll... not even close.

ttuuxxx

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

I never install puppy, I like running live, I use my hard drives to store packages, music, videos etc. But as I read your tired of getting all your seamonkey or firefox settings, links etc lost, what I do is basically mount the hard drive and move /root/.mozilla <-- Hidden folder to the hard drive, then I drag it back to root and create a system link, That way all those settings are saved locally and if I reboot, I just drag it back as a system link and everything on the browser is back, Same with the Downloads folder. I move that one also and just system link back.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

I, too, am a proponent of the advantages Live offers. My permanent peripherals are for data and storage of things I want to carry over no matter what Live OS I am running at any time. (Yeah, @ttuuxxx we are few.)

2 approaches to preserving BROWSER "stuff"
  • I like your idea of use of permanent storage for housing the browser. And your technique for setup whenever you change the Live OS running on the PC. I believe @Semme may also be a proponent of this manner of preserving and taking the load off RAM in Live use.
  • One item I have found useful is @Shinobar's approach where he provides installation of fully functional browsers on permanent media and a launch mode of simply clicking. (it should be noted that with Seamonky, some functionality, Composer for example, may be lost uses this approach.) For this, an apps folder (for example "/mnt/sda1/Apps" is the target directory when his approach is setup, and the app in the apps folder runs no matter which Linux OS a user boots to their desktop.
In either of these 2 cases, it would be nice if there is some common approach/utility that would be available so that when a new Live distro is booted, running the common utility would place these links in the new system for use via the system Menu. Whether that utility exist in the apps folder or in any shipped PUP, it could work as this provides much benefit in system operation beyond the need to launch the browser out of RAM directories.

Hope this is helpful.
Edit2: Clarify @Shinobar's effort and the last paragraph.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 11 Dec 2015, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.

anikin

#10 Post by anikin »

starhawk wrote:
Seconded. Misunderstood... yes. Easy to trigger... also yes. Troll... not even close.

Two peas in a pod - you both are trolls.
bar-b-bra wrote:If you think there is something wrong with homosexuality, than you're a blind sheep.
The correct word in that sentence is then not than ... you don't seem to be doing very well in school. Or, maybe homosexuals are exempt from the rules of grammar.

bark_bark_bark

#11 Post by bark_bark_bark »

anikin wrote:
starhawk wrote:

Two peas in a pod - you both are trolls.
Look who's talking!
anikin wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:If you think there is something wrong with homosexuality, than you're a blind sheep.
The correct word in that sentence is then not than ... you don't seem to be doing very well in school. Or, maybe homosexuals are exempt from the rules of grammar.
Yep, you're a troll. I do admit though not having the best grammar, but I am a straight A student. BTW, I never said I was homosexual.

Then AGAIN, you are just a troll.....

eric52

#12 Post by eric52 »

Venimus. Vidimus. Catulus vicit. Apres nous le deluge. Hubris. Life goes on.
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

anikin

#13 Post by anikin »

eric52 wrote:Venimus. Vidimus. Catulus vicit. Apres nous le deluge. Hubris. Life goes on.
As if this thread hasn't been derailed enough already ...
How are your meaningless, narcissistic chants relevant to the original discussion?

eric52

#14 Post by eric52 »

Well, anikin, oui detailed the languages he was familiar with and asked "quo vadis, Puppy," which is Latin for where are you going? I responded with a modified quote from Julius Caesar re: Puppy and accomplishment. I continued with a quote from Marquis de Pompadour which contains a Biblical reference and displays utter carelessness for others. The classical Greek word for disdainful and dangerous pride in attitude and behavior came next, and I concluded with a quote from the Beatles. In short, I sympathetically echoed his lament with a metaphorical reply in languages he understands. I was trying very hard to be relevant, and I'm sorry you don't get it. There is no chant. Yes, the discussion had been derailed. You got that right.

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

Chris.
Thanks! :D
bark_bark_bark wrote:

Chris.
I've had changed my user name to LazY Puppy, because I could not re-activate my old RSH account. When ever trying to get a new password for my RSH account the forum tells me about sending a E-Mail to my e-mail-address. Though: never ever received any! :cry:

So, the "troll" RSH now is the "troll" LazY Puppy! :lol:

Aren't almost all of us human beings acting like trolls from time to time?

Ahhh, never mind!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

starhawk

#16 Post by starhawk »

We all have our moments...

eric52

#17 Post by eric52 »

Hallo, Ragnar. Velkommen tilbake. Jeg vet om troller. Du er ikke et troll, men du ma ha skikkelig forbannet av noen. Sorry, I have no German, and my Norsk is half a century old. That's as close as I can come, and it is appropriate to the topic. Whatever happened is a shame and hopefully over. LazY is good work, and I look forward to seeing how you "top" that.

hamoudoudou

Thanks, oui, to promote your german Puppy

#18 Post by hamoudoudou »

Thanks, oui, to promote your german Puppy. use it a lot ! better than Ubuntu and Lubuntu sure