(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Sep 2020, 16:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to Make Wine Display in Other than English?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 21:21    Post subject:  How to Make Wine Display in Other than English?  

@#&*! --eMule ate my homework!

To what extent can XP programs running under Wine in a non-English or Multilingual environment be as successful in displaying linguistic symbols as running under Windows?

Sadly, I am constrained by a lack of ability in languages other than the English and, consequently, am only dimly and academically aware of the efforts which those –not so hampered-- have made toward solving that question.

The following provides an example of its manifestation.

A bi-lingual speaker installed Puppy, installed Wine (later Portable-Wine) and installed eMule --an XP program which runs under Wine. When running under XP, he had no difficulty configuring eMule to completely display in his native language. In contrast, under both Wine and Portable-Wine, after configuring eMule to display in his native language, some words would be displayed in that language using the symbols of that language, and other words would only appear as a series of “rectangles”.

You can find the discussion relating to that problem here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102229

The procedures employed in an effort to overcome that condition included:

(1) Manually copying into (Portable-)Wine's font folder fonts (or font families) that possessed symbols used by and would display in the non-English language;
(2) Employing Winetricks to install allfonts, corefonts, unifont, fontfix, usp10.dll,
(3) Editing eMule's preference.ini.

Some or all of the foregoing may have been unnecessary nor in any way helpful.

My guess as to the distinction between text where non-English symbols appeared and where only rectangles appeared was that the former of consists instances where programmer's expected the display to be changing –e.g., text typed, search results, messages received over IRC-- and those expected to be static –e.g., labels. My guess was the latter symbols are automatically determined by Wine's system settings.

Is the above a universal “Wine” problem? Or does it only occur in a Bi-or-Multilingual environment? MrAccident in the thread referred-to may have accepted Slacko's default configuration to use the English Language and US-Keyboard for Puppy and then tried to configure eMule to function employing the Hebrew Language and Keyboard. If he had configured Slacko to function in general under the Hebrew Language and Hebrew Keyboard, would the problem have been avoided?

Do speakers of languages whose written form uses symbols other than those employed in English experience similar problems when running programs under Wine?

In search of a solution, I found the following discussion. It provided what at first appears to be a two-part solution (albeit if you're running Ubuntu), http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=665485

Solution One: “add this to your EXE commands line

LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 wine WoW.exe”

– I assume WoW.exe was the “test” program with Russian as the desired language, as the conversation next generalized to

“added the LANG=bg_BG.UTF-8 and the path to the exe file in the command to run on click field. That fixed the problem”. – BG, I believe, is the designation for the inquirer's language, Bulgarian.

That proposed solution, however, lead to a complaint that

“ ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Dassault Systemes/DraftSight/bin$ LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 wine draftsight.exe

The interface is Russian but there is no possibility to type any Cyrillic character - the keyboard uses Latin in any language mode. Many English keys produces no character. Typing dtext produces ext. I see the same result in Russian Ubuntu interface.”

Solution Two suggested:

“...That [Solution One] works if your locale is set to ru_RU.UTF-8 or at least that locale was generated beforehand. You may well have Cyrillic kbd installed, but your locale be smth different - en_US.UTF-8 as in my case. That command will not carp about the absent locale and you'll get those ????? in your windows app.

What you need then, is to generate the necessary locale. 400+ locale names are listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. You may cull what you need and append a line like ru_RU.UTF-8 UTF-8 to your /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local file. Next, you run

Code:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

and there you are.”

I may be –often am Sad -- wrong, but I think Solution One is “program specific” and would have to be applied individually to each program the user desires to run in his native language under Wine. Solution Two, reminds me of something I've seen [as a boot parameter?] by which a Puppy would entirely appear in other than the English language: a global solution.

If Solution Two is a global solution, I have to wonder if, when it's employed, also using Solution One would be redundant. Indeed, perhaps the only reason to employ Solution One would be to set the language of a specific program to a different language than the “global language” if the desired program was incapable of displaying in the “global language.”

No Puppy is “Ubuntu” --not even those woofed using Ubuntu binaries. The foregoing was presented only as background, perhaps as glues to one or more solutions under Puppy.

Puppies should not be “For English Speakers Only.” Wine remains a useful application, extending Puppies' “friendliness” to encompass some applications a user may already be accustomed to, dependent upon, or –in some cases-- not yet adequately provided by native Linux applications.

So I've asked that your collective knowledge and experience be applied toward finding solutions.

In responding, please take into consideration that there are two methods to run Pups –Frugal and Full Installs-- and that under Pups there are four distinct methods for deploying Wine: installed as a Pet, loaded as an SFS, run within PlayOnLinux, and linked as an external folder and SFS via Portable-Wine.

One solution may not fit all.

Lastly, I have too little knowledge of the various methods of emulation such as Virtualbox, Vmware, Qemu –are there others?-- to even know whether discussing them on this thread would be appropriate or meaningful.

mikesLr
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan 2016, 08:49    Post subject:  

I would imagine you need to run a copy of Wine itself that is customised to the same language and even then it is going to be limited to the language and character sets used by Wine for the localisation.

I speak French and German as well as English, but I only know the words that I have been taught!!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan 2016, 09:12    Post subject:  

Hi, Mike.

Just a suggestion, this, but.... It is possible, isn't it, to re-run the 'first-run' settings, and re-configure your keyboard and language parameters, yes? Would that help here in any way, d'you think?

EDIT: Re-reading the post again, you would, of course, need a Hebrew keyboard.....no Latin keyboard will generate the characters required by the Hebrew language.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan 2016, 22:10    Post subject: post subject  

Hi Mike and burn_it,

In an email, MrAccident has confirmed that he used US and English in his Country/Language setup of Slacko, and then tried to configure eMule under Wine to display in Hebrew.

I guess he must have a keyboard capable of handling both Hebrew and English characters. Or maybe two keyboards.

Mike, your suggestion to re-run 'first-run' was great. MrAccident also inquired along those lines. That it never would have occurred to me, tells you how locked into English I am. Sad

However, even if configuring a Puppy so that it uses the language and local desired to be used in the XP program under Wine, that would still leave unresolved the question of how to run XP programs under Wine in more than one language without booting into differently configured Puppies.

I now consider my lack of ability in other than English a handicap. Why should those more fortunate be similarly hobbled?

mikesLr
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan 2016, 09:34    Post subject:  

It is not really going to be something that Puppy itself can fix or determine if the underlying tools don't support the difference.
I don't know since I have never had to try.

L18L

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan 2016, 14:49    Post subject: Re: How to Make Wine Display in Other than English?  

mikeslr wrote:
Lastly, I have too little knowledge of the various methods of emulation such as Virtualbox, Vmware, Qemu –are there others?-- to even know whether discussing them on this thread would be appropriate or meaningful.
Last thing first:
If your hardware is able to run Virtualbox (pet or sfs does not matter)
run a winblows in that vbox, no need for wine. (I have never used both of them)

locale,
other distros may have all of them preconfigured.
Puppy has en_US preconfigured,
others can be added per menu or icon...
Code:
locale -a
shows them.
UTF-8 should always be activated.
...and a font loaded.
somewhere under http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html wrote:
Runes:

ᚻᛖ ᚳᚹᚫᚦ ᚦᚫᛏ ᚻᛖ ᛒᚢᛞᛖ ᚩᚾ ᚦᚫᛗ ᛚᚪᚾᛞᛖ ᚾᚩᚱᚦᚹᛖᚪᚱᛞᚢᛗ ᚹᛁᚦ ᚦᚪ ᚹᛖᛥᚫ

(Old English, which transcribed into Latin reads 'He cwaeth that he
bude thaem lande northweardum with tha Westsae.' and means 'He said
that he lived in the northern land near the Western Sea.')

input,
search for and use a virtual keyboard.

Quote:
Puppies should not be “For English Speakers Only.”

Yes, Puppies built from woof2 or woof-CE are internationalized.
That is: load a language pack and Puppy has this other language.
No language available? Do it yourself, use momanager.

I cannot give more advises for Puppy as recent Puppies and Quirkies do not run on my hardware.

But there is Fatdog64... Very Happy

Hope that helps for the moment,
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: