HP Officejet Pro 8610 HPlip

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
James186282

HP Officejet Pro 8610 HPlip

#1 Post by James186282 »

I was given this super nice printer scanner for setting up a neighbors computer with Puppy Thar 6.0.5 *She had a Windows computer that was making her insane and hackers totally owned her computer. Long story. Anyway Puppy is so much better and she has a real knack for getting everything going. Puppy makes total sense to her (Windows does not) I got her set up with the her (same) printer fairly easy by printing through a socket connection (The printer prints out its URL) So... My question is this. I found a driver that prints ok but its not the actual driver for this printer. I see that the oldest hplip I can use is 3.14.4 and the newest version I can find is 3.14.3

I tried to get the latest hplip to compile but I just can't get past it saying I don't have a required dependency python.dev All of the other dependencies I figured out but... I'm stuck. I went to the ubuntu main site downloaded a deb for python.dev that is supposed to work with ubuntu 14.04 (Which I think is tahr 6.0.5?) and installed it but... hplip still can't find it when I run the automated hplip setter upper. I can find python.h but hplips routine doesn't seem to agree.

Is it just me? I find it really annoying to have to set up a programming language with 2600 files (that have python in the name) to compile a gigantic set of drivers which I want one or two of.

I've had more luck lately getting gcc to compile things from source so if someone can nudge me in the right direction to get hplip to compile that would be the greatest!

I'm going to try the "manual" way of compiling hplip instead of the automated installer tomorrow. I probably should have just started that way as I'm very curious how things actually work.

OH! So... Last question. Is it feasable to connect by ethernet and scan as well as print? I've set up xsane with some weird usb scanners after some head scratching but I don't see a lot about using scanners through an ethernet connection. Thanks for any help.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#2 Post by James186282 »

I was really thinking too hard about scanning. This printer has its own webpage that you can access by going to its url. It has a scan to a network path which I guess is the computers ip and some directory to write files to. I just flipped through a link where some gents turned on samba shares to do this but I don't have any Windows computers on my network. Anyway - please ignore my scanner question at the end of the previous message it is apparant I'm thinking old school printing and scanning and this printer is even more amazing then I thought. *I thought that its ability to shove out printed pages fast was great enough. Ha!
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]