Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 21 Nov 2018, 02:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 53 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 64, 65, 66 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 05:51    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Further investigation is needed!!! I'll get back to you.
Cheers
peebee

Hi @Marv

There was a missing link to libudev.so.0 in the iso - which was then being created during savefolder creation/reboot just to confuse.

I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d

This "bug" was the reason for both phenomena - so trash is now back on initial boot as well as frisbee fixed.

No need to bother rerwin.....

Thanks for making me track this down.
Cheers
peebee

Moat

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 07:28    Post subject:  

Wow, what an excellent pup. Booted (quickly!) straight to the desktop at the proper resolution, everything working so far. Great look and function, and blazingly fast, too. Congrats, Peebee (and Philb)! Cool

A few amateur, muddy-headed first observations/ramblings (please excuse me!), running live from the CD, without savefile - mostly just minor stuff...

*Noticed the same Frisbee behavior here, too - rejects password when ran from the first run menu, but connects fine after desktop loads fully, then ran via right-clicking the panel's connect icon.

*Trash icon did not initially appear on the desktop here either, and was selected but grayed out (not un-selectable) in the "Desktop Preferences" window. But after getting Compton up and running, noticed it had magically appeared - and the "Desktop Preferences" selection was no longer grayed out, and worked.

*The "Folder Icons" button in the "LxPup Appearance Changer" window is missing an icon, and didn't seem to do anything when clicked (I may have already switched to Elementary icons by then, tho...?)?

*The tray's default browser launcher (LH side) was missing it's icon - simple fix was to just edit the launcher's properties and replace the default browser entry with the Palemoon entry.

*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?

*Pwidgets 2.5.8 doesn't work (won't display) - likely just a Compton thing, that'll require some tweaks of the Pwidgets configs.

*Although I've yet to find the settings for font anti-aliasing, it really doesn't matter as the fonts look great, as is (unlike most pups, anti-aliasing must already be "on" by default... yay!).

*Little niggle, the default mouse sensitivity seems waay too low/slow (Acceleration = 2, Threshold = 10) - and even with the max Accel of 7 on this 1280x1024 monitor, it feels barely adequate. Would be nice to have a wider Acceleration range - like up to 15 or so...

*Fast, solid, efficient and good looking... lovin' it! Compton appears to add no discernible load to the running system, either.

*Conky is occasionally disappearing, probably losing a battle over the desktop with Compton... will have to investigate...

All in all, working excellently so far. Thanks!

Bob
capture1.jpg
 Description   LxPupTahr-15.12.1
 Filesize   92.69 KB
 Viewed   1689 Time(s)

capture1.jpg

Moat

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 07:32    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso

Whoa... just missed it, that was quick! I'll nab the new .iso and do it all over again... Smile

Bob
Marv

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 11:09    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d

Downloaded, md5 correct, all good, all good.

Thanks Exclamation and happy winter solstice

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, LxPupBionic, upupbb and upupcc for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 23:24; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 14:17    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?

The nopae version is now available....see above

Hi @Moat

Thanks for the feedback

The frisbee and trash problems are now fixed.
Your icon problems arise from changing to Elementary - must admit I haven't fully tested this....
Folder icon colour changer only works with Flat-remix icons I'm afraid
Good point about JWMDesk Manager - I will hide it in next version
Yes - the TahrPup update mechanism should apply to LxPupTahr with few problems unless the update changes some basic aspect that LxPupTahr is relying on....
Desktop Drive Icons work OK for me when installed from Desktop Appearance -> Options.....there is code in /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml from line #784 on which explicity hides the application from the tray - wonder what you might have done to break that - compton shouldn't be the culprit but your mention of conky and pwidgets might be....

code should be:
Code:
    <application title="desktop_drive_icons">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>
    <application title="gtkdialog-splash">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>

Moat

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 22:44    Post subject:  

Thanks for the reply, peebee.

I can confirm that the Frisbe and trash issues are fixed with the new .iso.

And, yes - the Elementary icon set indeed was the cause of the other minor icon issues - it's all good running the Flat-remix set.

I too wonder how I broke the Desktop Drive Icons/rc.xml... I'll tinker around and see if I can figure out what happened there. Thanks for the code location and fix for that!

FWIW - I did manage to get some of the Pwidgets elements to display, fiddling with their config files - so at least I know it's possible.

I just need to do a dedicated frugal install to flash stick, and get to saving some of this tinkering.

Again, thanks for this great Pup - really excellent work! Cool

Bob
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec 2015, 06:21    Post subject:  

LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae has been re-uploaded with Firefox-38.5.2-esr - no other changes.

The 32-bit version of Opera-Beta works on LxPup-15.11 - see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102075

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan 2016, 08:25    Post subject:  

I can scarcely believe this.....

After 261 downloads of LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae nobody has noticed that Firefox is broken!!! Embarassed Question Sad

The quick fix is:
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-38.5.2 /usr/lib/firefox-38.5.0
and then run firefox from a terminal

I've uploaded an updated iso - md5 = 3c77d148c1eb07c16aa0ee0b00816c33

unicorn316386

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan 2016, 15:59    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
I can scarcely believe this.....

After 261 downloads of LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae nobody has noticed that Firefox is broken!!! Embarassed Question Sad

Where did you get the number 261 downloads (for that iso) from? I don't believe 261 is correct either. Laughing

edit: Ah, found the stats. Maybe robots clicking randomly or sourceforge workers downloading to try and inject malware? Very Happy
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 03:11    Post subject:  

Hi Peebee, I am trying to assist another puppian with an issue on their full install of LXPup-Precise-Retro 14.10 but I cant find a download link for that version on your website. Is it still available somewhere please?
cheers
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 03:20    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Hi Peebee, I am trying to assist another puppian with an issue on their full install of LXPup-Precise-Retro 14.10 but I cant find a download link for that version on your website. Is it still available somewhere please?
cheers

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.10/

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 19:57    Post subject:  

Thanks peebee, that did the trick.
sanlav

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 08:57    Post subject:  

What devx to use for the retro version ?
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 11:21    Post subject:  

sanlav wrote:
What devx to use for the retro version ?

Link is on page:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html

issac99289928

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan 2016, 03:01    Post subject: LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae
Subject description: cannot get caps lock and num lock led illuminated

I installed LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae in a pc and a laptop .I am enjoying it very much and I want to thank you for making mt7601u device work .

One thing that bothers me is that :I cannot get caps lock and numlock led
illuminated although both keys work as requested
Page 53 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 64, 65, 66 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: