Linux Users=Idiots?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rufwoof

#21 Post by rufwoof »

Just a few weeks back my son opened his Windows (Win 8 ) toolbox ... and all the tools (desktop icons) were gone. Apparently without any explanation or asking Windows decided that his toolbox needed rearrangement. After the initial shock it took a few days for him to locate and rearrange all of those tools back to where he liked to keep them.

In fairness he did later tell me that Windows had given him a countdown to when his toolkit would be rearranged - whether he wanted that or not - and that he'd forgotten that the countdown was close to zero

He's not impressed with the enforced 'upgrade' as apparently "things don't work the way they did before".

A sure way to really P a guy off - rearranging/moving his apparently messily organised tools.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

Re: Linux Users=Idiots?

#22 Post by rufwoof »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:having used windows for twenty or so years and puppy linux for a little over three: windows sucks. it's cripple wear. it's purposely obstructionist to progress. it's progressed little in twenty years.
Ah but in past generations offices filled with workers with just a single task typewriter in front of them had to work 8 hours out of 8. Nowadays its probably more like 2 out of 8. Millions around the world each day being paid to stare at Windows/Facebook/Amazon/Twitter/Youtube..,etc. Addictive - as even when they're off-pay they still continue to do the same. Work has become a occupation for many. Job sharing, four to do the task of one, but with the proviso of having to spend 6 hours each being kept out of mischief.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: Linux Users=Idiots?

#23 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rufwoof wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:having used windows for twenty or so years and puppy linux for a little over three: windows sucks. it's cripple wear. it's purposely obstructionist to progress. it's progressed little in twenty years.
Ah but in past generations offices filled with workers with just a single task typewriter in front of them had to work 8 hours out of 8. Nowadays its probably more like 2 out of 8. Millions around the world each day being paid to stare at Windows/Facebook/Amazon/Twitter/Youtube..,etc. Addictive - as even when they're off-pay they still continue to do the same. Work has become a occupation for many. Job sharing, four to do the task of one, but with the proviso of having to spend 6 hours each being kept out of mischief.
the phones in their pockets can do all the gazing and thumb twiddling of any five people and any of their desktop machines, all of which got increasingly more powerful to handle the useless bloat and artificial drive for specific hardware.

i think my used 150 dollar nec mobile pro from the early 2000s was the pinnacle of microsoft efficiency and design. keyboard, buttons, touch screen, solid state, small memory footprint, did a bunch of stuff. it's all browsers from here on out anyway--tabbed interface for every program unless you're stuck offline for some reason. that seems like the way this is going, anyway.

something that annoys me coming from puppy users is this idea that since puppy's small, it shouldn't use things that are large. it's not how i see it. puppy's small so it should ultimately be made to use everything since it can do so more efficiently and quickly by virtue of it being small and efficient at and to the core. put another way, why already take an overburdened os, one that would tax your machine more doing the exact same thing, and choose it to do work on? isn't it starting at a disadvantage? we already know why not to choose it when you want something light and indestructible--why choose it when you need to get something done or want something to run? are the fancier menu system and extra permission steps going to make your stuff load and save any more quickly? bells and whistles. unnecessary system distractions and chores. i'm a noob, i admit, and it feels weird to me to argue about computers (i'll argue all day about what animal would kill what other animal in a fight if you like :lol: ), but it seems pretty obvious to me that puppy kicks ass whereas most other operating systems do not.

well, off topic, but while we're complaining about humanity...

:lol:

Burn_IT

#24 Post by Burn_IT »

Can't you be bothered to use sensible punctuation?

I refuse to read your post since you cannot be bothered to format it in an acceptable way.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

AbnorF

#25 Post by AbnorF »

I agree with everything Puppus Dogfellow said. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

LazY Puppy

#26 Post by LazY Puppy »

my honest opinion, having used windows for twenty or so years and puppy linux for a little over three: windows sucks. it's cripple wear. it's purposely obstructionist to progress.
Yes!

Your honest opinion.

I have used Windows from Windows 98 up to Windows XP. Didn't like the ME Version but loved 98SE and XP.

I'm now a full time Puppy user since I'd made my first own derivative in Jan. 2012 - so for now 4 years in complete. Almost all that I need to be done daily on a computer is now done in Puppy GNU/Linux - though there are some Windows Programs that I'm using under Wine ( like Corel Photopaint 8 ).

BUT:

One can't do a simple 16 tracks multitrack audio recording using Puppy or any different GNU/Linux Operating System. Either you won't find a working driver for the external multi channel audio mixer and/or the software isn't able to write recorded data fast enough to the storage drive. Such purpose for a computer use seems to be just too very special. I'm in doubt generally any Linux and its Audio-/Video-Recording Software ever will be comparable to Windows XP and Cubase or similar professional Audio and Video Recording Software. Not to talk about Apple...

Windows XP and Cubase LE4 with a USB dongle that will allow Cubase LE4 to record 16 audio tracks simultaneously just works like a charme !!! :D

The XP version was installed in 2009 when I was in the need to buy a new mother board. Just a few Programs installed mostly Audio and Video Software like Cubase LE4, Pinnacle Video Studio 12, Sony Soundforge 5 plus lots of Portable Apps. It's still as fast as on its installation day! 8)

Won't miss it !!! :D

Though for anything else: my Puppies are my choice! :D
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

jamesbond

#27 Post by jamesbond »

LazY Puppy wrote:I'm now a full time Puppy user since I'd made my first own derivative in Jan. 2012 - so for now 4 years in complete.
And that, my friend, is what FOSS is all about Image
Try making your own Windows or OSX derivative :)
If we are called as idiots for that, then I say so be it.
One can't do a simple 16 tracks multitrack audio recording using Puppy or any different GNU/Linux Operating System. ...
<snip>
... Though for anything else: my Puppies are my choice :D
And that, my friend, is the words of wisdom. Right tool for the job. :D We, the idiots, all long for the day that *everything* will run on FOSS, but until that day comes, we all have to make do.

A bit of story for those who didn't know: Linus himself, once upon a time, kept Linux source code in a proprietary source code management system called BitKeeper, that he got to use for "free" (as in, "gratis" - not free as "libre"). He got quite a bit of flax for that decision - but his answer was simply, what BitKeeper did couldn't be done by any other software - FOSS or not. He was (and still is) a practical man.

It was only after a prolonged dispute between BitMover (company that makes BitKeeper) and other FOSS communiy members escalated into a threat that BitMover would withdraw and cancel all the "gratis" license currently used by FOSS members (including Linus), that Linus was forced to realise that he could no longer defended his position (I never found a statement from him where he said that using BitKeeper was ever a mistake; all he said is that he could no longer continue to use BitKeeper in the light of all the ongoing dispute). See here and here.

Fortunately, (and unfortunately for BitKeeper), Linus being Linus, he rolled up his own sleeves and wrote a replacement that is in many ways better. Announced two years after Linus weaned off his dependency on BitKeeper, the tool went on to become one of the most popular and most often used source management system in the world and has spawned many companies based on his technology, one of them are valued at US$2 billion recently.
That's what idiots do. I don't mind being one.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

8Geee

#28 Post by 8Geee »

If linux users are idiots, then Winows users and Android users are addicts.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Pelo

a complete training method for the brain

#29 Post by Pelo »

watchog says that he consider linux a complete training method for the brain, But after a hard day working in my factory, i need some pleasure in using my laptop in my sofa, after dinner.

I don't need brainstorming by dis-assembly and re-assembly a Puppy...
That'is my job with cars and other vehicles.
There are no more users with Puppy, they are gone away.
Only stay active roots, brainstorming how to eat the OS
(OS means Bone, in french)

rufwoof

Re: a complete training method for the brain

#30 Post by rufwoof »

Pelo wrote:There are no more users with Puppy, they are gone away.
Only stay active roots, brainstorming how to eat the OS (OS means Bone, in french)
I only came to puppy 18 months ago after XP support stopped. Now its my primary, as nothing else touches it. I see greater interoperation between multiple devices, faster data commumications speeds ... which leads to greater need to have more accessible systems. Puppy I can configure as I like and then cast that in stone (read only) and leave that open ... to be accessed from anywhere on the web. And it's really really quick. My 15 year old single core PC is as fast as my son's latest multi core Windows box for general use, if not quicker.

Unlike Windows where everythings simplified for idiots however, Puppy involves having to learn/try more. But if you only install a limited number of core applications that you use, once done then you can boot the exact same tool each and every time, no enforced 'upgrades' (that can lead to problems).

Puppy with RDP server/client and that also installed on other devices also means that any one device can run windows, android, puppy applications. Puppy is well placed to be at the heart of that interoperability.

Smithy

#31 Post by Smithy »

@"One can't do a simple 16 tracks multitrack audio recording using Puppy or any different GNU/Linux Operating System. ..."
Don't know where the snip was from, and I can't be bothered to read the article, more interested in RSH's German/ Latin description of an idiot.
On the census forms back in 1900's, I think you had to mention if someone was an idiot or an imbecile in the family, someone probably would have ticked me for a laugh..

More Urban Myths doing the rounds! It'll do many more until your ram melts :) Or your brain.
Attachments
16-track-idiot.png
(163.19 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

...not to mention Puppy Studio... haven't used it myself, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine it not capable of such a task, particularly if that task was indeed as 'simple' as it's made out to be...

:wink:

LazY Puppy

#33 Post by LazY Puppy »

@ the 16-track-idiot.png

Later in that posting I was more specific to this as I did not meant to record 16 audio tracks sequentially (overdubbing, track by track) or just to play then 16 sequentially recorded audio tracks. The image shows a recording session that is NOT recorded simultaneously using all 16 tracks (all channels are set to channel 1). It even doesn't play all 16 tracks simultaneously.

I meant exactly to
record 16 audio tracks simultaneously
To do this one needs the dependent driver for the external 16 or 24 multitrack-audio-mixer. If you're lucky to find one and it will recognize the mixer and one can setup each mixer channel to its own recoding track and then start to record all 16 tracks or probably 24 tracks simultaneously the Audio Software will quit by a message and then crashing.

Otherwise it crashes without to let you know anything about the issue. One message was: could not write data fast enough to hard disk. Hard disk was a internal IDE drive where Cubase in Windows XP will record until the space on HD has left. 8)

Just show me a real Puppy (or different Linux OS) really recording 16 audio tracks (better 24) simultaneously and I will try to get this to run on my machines to use it.

By the way: Puppy Studio could not recognize my external 16/24 Multi Track Audio Mixer and it was not stable on both of my machines (Studio 4 & 14.37 (1 & 2) 32bit versions).

As I said also in the related post: for anything else my Puppies are my choice! :D
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rufwoof

#34 Post by rufwoof »

LazY Puppy wrote:I meant exactly to
record 16 audio tracks simultaneously
Just show me a real Puppy (or different Linux OS) really recording 16 audio tracks (better 24) simultaneously and I will try to get this to run on my machines to use it
:) :) :)
First image is my 15 year old single core Celeron D processing 8 videos in flowblade.

Bottom row, 4th from left in second image

Otherwise landfill to others.

Just need to start swapping more for quad cores, 96 dalmatians. Image
Attachments
flowblade.jpg
(64.65 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
multidesk.jpg
(35.7 KiB) Downloaded 565 times

Smithy

#35 Post by Smithy »

@ rufwoof, gobsmacked by the Quentin Tarantino setup (flowblade is some multitrack video program, never heard of that). 8 from a Celeron!

RSH, I totally missed your second post, just read JamesBond's snippet which I thought was from a person who was slagging Linux users for wasting time accomplishing tasks that could be done more easily etc etc argument.

Then I realised there is no link to an article, no person who wrote it, just a statement with a picture, a psychological harvest if you like.

Designed, just as you are gaily skipping across a little bridge in The Summer Sun, to make you stop in your tracks and go "eh?"

Oh yes, no way for simultaneous multitrack in Linux or at least with the hardware I have tried.

The true way is in my unopinionated sit on the wall opinion:
The Room, The Microphone, The Clean Signal Path and The Talent.

Puppy will do the job with the software, for knocking ideas out. Quickly.
A track at a time though or maybe two simultaneous mono tracks.

Thing is, you can sit there for hours or days with Cubase/Pro Tools (name your poison) and perfectly produce something that no one will ever hear 'cept the torrent collections and they are deaf and dumb.

So what you need to do is set up your drum kit with a few mics plugged in to your mixer, get your sound and kick some ass. Then post it up for idiots.
I'd love to hear a kit being smashed out by a drummer. (I seem to recall you are a drummer?)

anyways I think this link might help this thread
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#36 Post by rufwoof »

Smithy wrote:@ rufwoof, gobsmacked by the Quentin Tarantino setup
Note the first 3 'characters' of my posting - joke.

I've 'shown' - in anticipation of Lazy Puppy fulfiling Just show me a real Puppy (or different Linux OS) really recording 16 audio tracks (better 24) simultaneously and I will try to get this to run on my machines to use it

The flowblade image is actually mine. I installed that only the other day and thought I'd load it up with a range of vids to see what the soundtrack was like when all playing simultaneously.

LazY Puppy

#37 Post by LazY Puppy »

rufwoof wrote:First image is my 15 year old single core Celeron D processing 8 videos in flowblade.
One just can NOT compare playing multiple Audio and/or Video Tracks to doing a 16 or 24 multi-track-audio-recording simultaneously!

It couldn't be really too hard to get this! :roll: :wink:

Just feel the need to point this out.

Never mind...

Yes, Flowblade is good.

It's currently my favorite Video Editor (Precise, Tahr, Vivid). And I do plan to use this when we will have our raw video material recorded by three different devices (HD-Camera, HD-WebCam to PC, HD-WebCam to Laptop).

Though playing 8 video tracks or even 16 video tracks simultaneously is NOT comparable to doing a 16 or 24 multi-track-recording simultaneously!

Keep in mind: nobody never ever would compare reading data to writing data. No matter what kind of Data.
Smithy wrote:Thing is, you can sit there for hours or days with Cubase/Pro Tools (name your poison) and perfectly produce something that no one will ever hear 'cept the torrent collections and they are deaf and dumb.
One can also sit for hours and days with Ardour, Rosegarden or Audacity - did this already. All these programs working well when recording track by track or stereo tracks (Master Mixdown from 16/24 Mixer).

I had done such already in 2010 using Muppy 0.83F and the Audacity from its Repository (1.0.2 or similar) when I just stumbled over Muppy/Puppy and tried it. Worked for hours several days a week recording with Audacity.
So what you need to do is set up your drum kit with a few mics plugged in to your mixer, get your sound and kick some ass. Then post it up for idiots.
I'd love to hear a kit being smashed out by a drummer. (I seem to recall you are a drummer?)
Yes, I'm a Drummer.

My current Drum Kit in use has 22 Drums, 24 Cymbals and 7 Pedals for the Feet plus some Percussion like Wood Blocks, Cowbells, Chime Bars etc. :shock: :lol:

So absolutely no go to set up the Drum Kit with a few Microphones. :wink:

Currently we don't produce any Music for hours and days using Cubase. Mainly we do record our rehearsals. Sometimes 16 track by Cubase, sometimes Stero Mixdown by Sony Soundforge and sometimes Stereo Mixdown by Audacity.

If there will be any material to listen or to watch to in any future, of course I will let you all know (probably by a Link in my Signature).
RSH

rufwoof

#38 Post by rufwoof »

LazY Puppy wrote:Yes, I'm a Drummer.

My current Drum Kit in use has 22 Drums, 24 Cymbals and 7 Pedals for the Feet plus some Percussion like Wood Blocks, Cowbells, Chime Bars etc. :shock: :lol:
What! No paint pots! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdzYY_Fas

Pelo

Happy to meet users ! Power to users !

#39 Post by Pelo »

Happy to meet users !
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Rattlehead

Re: a complete training method for the brain

#40 Post by Rattlehead »

rufwoof wrote: My 15 year old single core PC is as fast as my son's latest multi core Windows box for general use, if not quicker.
'Nuff said :D

The guy that did that door picture blatantly ignored the fact that the whole corporate world is running on Linux. So Linux is used for pragmatic reasons, no danger of sentimentalism in that world at all: it just works better. It's always the same story: the big money makers make their choice and then, for the average Joe, they reserve the half assed solutions: "Don't go in there, too complicated!" You mean good...

Of course quality has a learning curve, but the alternatives are paint by numbers, and computers are capable of much more than paint by numbers.