Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
AshwaniGaur

#101 Post by AshwaniGaur »

is there any FIX for 3G-USB MOdem not detected in latest puppy.
Thanks

LazY Puppy

#102 Post by LazY Puppy »

AshwaniGaur wrote:is there any FIX for 3G-USB MOdem not detected in latest puppy.
Thanks
Welcome to the Club of deprecated GPRS-Modem/Puppy users! :evil: :lol:

Puppy seems to be on its way to try to become a Operating System for majorities.

So, as we -the GPRS-Modem/Puppy users- obviously a minority in Puppy Land, the Puppy/WoofCE Developers just decided to deprecate just us GPRS-Modem/Puppy users.

Instead of to continue the support of GPRS Mobile Modem -which wouldn't force to do any work to be done on the code- they had given to us GPRS-Modem/Puppy users a GPRS solution after a hard working time that just will not work! :wink: :lol:

Progress in WoofCE / Puppy Land... :roll: :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

yerc1

Missing icon

#103 Post by yerc1 »

Stardust and Blue-Moon icon sets are pretty but that didn't keep me from trying others out there :) .

I downloaded oranchelo-pup and victory icon sets from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=375 and used them on both slacko32 6.3 and librepup 6.0.2.2.

Librepup handled the icon switching gracefully.
In Slacko32, switching to the downloaded icons made the root menu lose all icons when using oranchelo-pup and some icons (i.e. 'Desktop' and 'Setup') when using victory icon set.

Apart from this minor issue, Slacko 6.3 worked well with my machine along the tradition of the excellent 5.7 version.

Edit: wbar or whatever the dock menu on top remains on StandardSvg icon set no matter what icon pack is applied.
Attachments
Missing_icon.png
(57.31 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Terry H

Re: Missing icon

#104 Post by Terry H »

yerc1 wrote:
Edit: wbar or whatever the dock menu on top remains on StandardSvg icon set no matter what icon pack is applied.
The panel is a second jwm tray (jmrc-tray2), it uses the icon image as defined in the .dektop file for the relevant application. It would require manual editing of the config file (~/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2) to use different icons.

Example:
<TrayButton popup="defaulttexteditor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/edit.svg">exec:defaulttexteditor</TrayButton>

nubc

#105 Post by nubc »

Having changed the audio player to gnome-mplayer, when I opened sample file "ivy" with Pmusic, it did play. I restored the default Set run action with "defaultaudioplayer" and Pmusic seems to be playing mp3s okay. This isn't the first time that Pmusic failed to play mp3 just after a full install. I seem to recall that Pmusic needs some missing files to play the mp3, and simply stops without a sound. I usually just change the audio player to gnome-player and move on. The only way I can think of at the present is to run Slacko 630 as a liveCD, see if the problem recurs. I'll run the suggested diagnostics when I boot the liveCD.

I'm running full install Slacko 630 32-bit, after 64-bit was way too laggy.

EDIT: Next day, after a reboot, happened again with newly acquired mp3. Pmusic shows "Playback error" which I have seen many times before.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:57, edited 2 times in total.

AshwaniGaur

#106 Post by AshwaniGaur »

LazY Puppy wrote:
AshwaniGaur wrote:is there any FIX for 3G-USB MOdem not detected in latest puppy.
Thanks
Welcome to the Club of deprecated GPRS-Modem/Puppy users! :evil: :lol:

Puppy seems to be on its way to try to become a Operating System for majorities.

So, as we -the GPRS-Modem/Puppy users- obviously a minority in Puppy Land, the Puppy/WoofCE Developers just decided to deprecate just us GPRS-Modem/Puppy users.

Instead of to continue the support of GPRS Mobile Modem -which wouldn't force to do any work to be done on the code- they had given to us GPRS-Modem/Puppy users a GPRS solution after a hard working time that just will not work! :wink: :lol:

Progress in WoofCE / Puppy Land... :roll: :lol:
Thanks for your reply.
BTW,i am an old puppy user (bare bone puppy time) :) ;)

USB-3G Modem problem is a major one, thousands like me use this for internet connectivity

yerc1

#107 Post by yerc1 »

Terry H wrote:
yerc1 wrote: Edit: wbar or whatever the dock menu on top remains on StandardSvg icon set no matter what icon pack is applied.
The panel is a second jwm tray (jmrc-tray2), it uses the icon image as defined in the .dektop file for the relevant application. It would require manual editing of the config file (~/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2) to use different icons.

Example:
<TrayButton popup="defaulttexteditor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/edit.svg">exec:defaulttexteditor</TrayButton>
Thanks Terry.
That fixed it.
I sidestepped jwm for too long (using XFCE pups) I have not been aware until now of the improvements made to it in Puppy - this tray2, Puppy Desktop, and JWMDesk for example.

For now I have different versions of the config file to match every icon set I installed and i would manually rename the config file each time I switch between icon sets.

Is there a script to automate this process?
I'm thinking of something similar to jemimah's solution to swap conky configs in her popular Saluki... I don't know how to do it myself :(

Terry H

#108 Post by Terry H »

yerc1 wrote:
Is there a script to automate this process?
(
I don't know, similarly I have only got back into using jwm recently and was impressed with the recent improvements.

zigbert

#109 Post by zigbert »

nubc wrote:This isn't the first time that Pmusic failed to play mp3 just after a full install. I seem to recall that Pmusic needs some missing files to play the mp3, and simply stops without a sound.
If you have more info about this, I am more than interested. I have tested pMusic on a fresh install (not full install, but can't see why this should differ), and not seen this problem... Hmmm? Are there any terminal output that tells what files are missing?
nubc wrote:EDIT: Next day, after a reboot, happened again with newly acquired mp3. Pmusic shows "Playback error" which I have seen many times before.
The 'Playback error' msg in statusbar is sent by aplay. I can think of 2 main reasons for this to occur.
- An error with the soundcard, or chosen the wrong device if you have several soundcards installed. Since gnome-mplayer works this is most likely not the issue if not changed the default soundcard in the pMusic preferences.I always get this msg at first run because of my 2 cards and Puppy doesn't choose the correct one.
- The mp3 stream is corrupted (during convert to raw audio(ffmpeg)) before sent to the backend player (aplay). Ie. this might happen if you use the slider actively on a slow system. Several quick moves in a row can make ffmpeg to hang. I am not able to reproduce this on my midrange pc. (5 years old AMD)

nubc

#110 Post by nubc »

Thanks for your response zigbert. I'll get around to posting a terminal output, eventually. Today I encountered a refusal to play a YouTube video. YouTube says I don't have an application to play this video which is apparently HTML5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQ92t-JbHo
Last edited by nubc on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#111 Post by 01micko »

Regarding 3G Modems

I have tracked down the bug. It is to do with aggressive optimisations of gcc >= 4.7 for wvstreams

I have tested a fix (as far as i can without a valid sim card in 2 modems that I have) and the bug seems fixed, but of course I can't fully test.

I'll post fixes tomorrow for 64 and 32 bit for evaluation.

------

I did actually purchase a vodafone 3/4G modem today but it works totally differently! It does not need usb-modeswitch. In fact it is a bug that usb-modeswitch detects the thing! Its an Huawaei modem K4203.

The good news is that it works out of the box with the software installed on the dongle - with caveats. After I fix the main bug I'll see if I can script up something to fix this problematic dongle.

------

Next stop will be PGPRS. No its not deprecated! :lol: Its a bug to be fixed. I'll have to try and enlist rerwin's help as Frisbee is supposed to take care of GPRS phone modems now. I'll have to dig around and see if my old Nokia still works.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

AshwaniGaur

#112 Post by AshwaniGaur »

@ 01micko

Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed

LazY Puppy

#113 Post by LazY Puppy »

Next stop will be PGPRS. No its not deprecated! :lol:
Ok, good to know.
Its a bug to be fixed. I'll have to try and enlist rerwin's help as Frisbee is supposed to take care of GPRS phone modems now. I'll have to dig around and see if my old Nokia still works.
I had provided some help (testings) to rerwin to get the rewrite of pgprs working - actually it seems to work now. Don't know how far his effort has come to success to combine this with the use of frisbee, but there might be a solution available in a few days probably.

What it is still missing is the option in init script of initrd to load the fwdrv sfs at boot up. It's really uncomfortable and not user-friendly to type into a terminal things like these

Code: Select all

udevadm trigger --action=add --subsystem-match="pcmcia*" --subsystem-match="usb*"

udevadm settle
when there is a need to load the fwdrv sfs using sfs_load after X appeared on the screen.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rico001

Qemu 2.5 Slacko 6.3 net drivers load/search slow

#114 Post by rico001 »

This post deals with both qemu computer emulator and networking, so it may be useful to people who use one or both.

A new qemu 2.50 virtual machine build for windows came out on December 16, 2015. Puppy 2.17 and others I've tried such as slack 6.3.0 up until Qemu 2.5 vm software (submitted a private ticket on sourceforge for qemu-puppy to be updated from 2013), have not been able to load drivers and crashed, but now it works, but is slow, maybe 5+ minutes by my estimation.

Is there any way, such as a command at boot; to not load network drivers until the system is logged on I noticed other people in the forums had problems with modem drivers. This would also enable slacko to boot faster. Thanks for your time and help.

01micko

#115 Post by 01micko »

3G Modem fix up packages for evaluation

If they prove to work I will put a link on the front page and add to the next version. All pets are not essential but are recommended. The main one is wvstreams where the bug was found; usb-modeswitch is upgraded to the latest version. A missing package 'modem-stats' is added.

32 bit
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -1.0.1.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6_s631.pet

64 bit
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 4_s631.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 4_s630.pet

------------------------------------------------------

Corresponding DEV/DOC packages are available from ibiblio (and mirrors when they catch up). Be sure to get the correct pets for your architecture!. If you are unsure run

uname -m
in a terminal.

Please report if they work for you.

tenbob

#116 Post by tenbob »

Slacko-6.3.0 boots to black screen.

I am trying to boot from a USB I created with UNetbootin from the ISO. I can see the progress up to "Booting the kernel", then the screen flickers and goes blank.

This is listed as a known issue in the release notes. But my hardware is not any of the types shown. It's a laptop with "Via Technologies CN896/VN896/P4M900" video. I tried all the solutions listed anyway with no success.

Am I doing it right? At the boot: prompt I entered "puppy nouveau.setmode=0" etc.

I tried all the suggested strings but it made no difference.

I also tried pfix=nox to boot into terminal mode. But it didn't do that. The screen just went blank as before.

Have you any suggestions, please.

01micko

#117 Post by 01micko »

@tenbob,

Just try nomodeset by itself. I don't know if it will work but you could give it a try.

watchdog

#118 Post by watchdog »

01micko wrote:3G Modem fix up packages for evaluation
<cut>
Fix not working for my Huawei E1752 dongle: it works in tahr 6.0.5. Tried slacko 6.3.0 32 bit: it connects but it does not surf.

01micko

#119 Post by 01micko »

watchdog wrote:
01micko wrote:3G Modem fix up packages for evaluation
<cut>
Fix not working for my Huawei E1752 dongle: it works in tahr 6.0.5. Tried slacko 6.3.0 32 bit: it connects but it does not surf.
Yes just found the bug as DNS isn't working. I managed to unlock my Virgin stick (tutorial for unlocking sticks - need devx or python) and use my new Vodafone sim card and manually fixed DNS (added servers to /etc/resolv.conf) and am posting from it now. I need to fix the ip-up script and then will repackage wvdial.

Thanks for testing.

tenbob

#120 Post by tenbob »

@01micko

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried "puppy nomodeset" at the boot: prompt, but I still got a blank screen.

I rebuilt the USB stick after checking the MD5 of the ISO. It all seems OK. It's definitely hardware related. The same USB stick boots OK on a different laptop.

I'm still puzzled as to why pfix=nox didn't work. I thought this would continue in terminal mode without invoking any new display driver modes.

Any other suggestions?