Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 28 Jan 2020, 17:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 25 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:50    Post subject:  

Hi William.

Thanks, I remember your posts with similar problems in the past (while testing the first debdog-installer versions). This explains for me the strange flashdrive issue. Both are 4Gb but different brands.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:16    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Looking at the thread for DD-64 again, I see that it isn't setup for Live v2, only Live v3 and Porteus boot. That may have been the ones that failed for me.

I will try to do at least part of this tomorrow and see what I find.

Yes, the installer included in DD-64 is modified to make these entries for live-boot v2 not showing (btw, also not showing systemd entries).

Thanks for the testing!

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2015, 09:35    Post subject:  

It seems the base for DebianDog doesn't exist anymore. Debian Live project website is closed and some links with information about live-boot in DebianDog threads do not work anymore. This explains the reason:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2015/11/msg00024.html

All Debian Live iso images (Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie) from here are lost::
http://live.debian.net/files/

Debian Live Jessie is available here now but I can't find mirrors for older versions unfortunately:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/

My thanks to Daniel Baumann for all his work!
DebianDog wouldn't exist without it.

Edit: Probably all Debian Live iso images are mirrored here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/
But the documentation for live-boot, live-config and live-build is not there.

Edit2: OK, live-boot documentation now is part of DebianDog github project. The dead links in live-boot-2 and live-boot-3 posts redirected to:
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Squeeze/wiki/live-boot-2.0-docs
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Squeeze/wiki/live-boot-3.0,-4.0-docs

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:39; edited 1 time in total
cinclus_cinclus

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2015, 17:25    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

did you read about the continuation of the live-project?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2015/12/msg00029.html
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec 2015, 05:26    Post subject:  

cinclus_cinclus wrote:
did you read about the continuation of the live-project?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2015/12/msg00029.html

Thanks, but I read there only some packages will be maintained as long live-build remains in the Debian archives. And live-build has no new maintainer yet. As we know many packages from previous version are removed in every next Debian stable release.
Forcing Daniel to give up after 10 years calling his work unofficial and deprecated is a shame. That's for sure.
I also hope this is not the end of Debian Live but time will tell better.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 18:01    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, All,

New package "sfsload"
It's meant for fixing by replacing the scripts /opt/bin/loadmodule and /opt/bin/loadsfs (included in latest DD ISO releases) for SFS-load menu entry and right-click option in filemanager. (and SFSdrop icon on Desktop)

Why this fix?:
The last *fix* (some time ago) for these scripts was to add this, for unmounting/unloading in case it failed (umount -l option 'lazy' unmount):
Code:

# Force unmount
 echo "Unmounting failed, so lets try some forcing..."
  umount -l $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
  rmdir $CHNGS/$BUNDLE

That was because I was annoyed that sometimes a module failed to unload and message displayed was "Deactivate failed"
Ok, then, when unloading, the message displaying after this fix became: "Deactivate successful".
Looks nice... But... this message might be misleading because the menu entry of the program could be still there and also the files still existing in the rootfs.

Found a way now to (if needed) kill the process that's keeping from unmounting, then the module will be "REALLY" unloaded.
So instead of above code, for DD Wheezy:
Code:

# Force unmount
echo "Unmounting failed, so lets find out (by 'fuser') which process is keeping it from unloading and kill it..."
fuser -mkv $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
echo
echo "Ok, let's try unloading again now..."
  mount -t squashfs -n -o remount,del:$CHNGS/$BUNDLE aufs /
  umount $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
  rmdir $CHNGS/$BUNDLE

For Jessie and Mintpup somehow the fuser command doesn't work, but aubusy from 'aufs-tools' does:
Code:
# Force unmount
echo "Unmounting failed, so lets find out (by 'aubusy') which process is keeping it from unloading and kill it..."
while read line; do
kill $(echo "$line" | awk '{ print $1 }') 2> /dev/null
echo "$line" | awk '{ print $1 }'
sleep 1
done <<< "$(aubusy -v / $CHNGS/$BUNDLE)"
#fuser -mkv $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
echo
echo "Ok, let's try unloading again now..."
  mount -t squashfs -n -o remount,del:$CHNGS/$BUNDLE aufs /
  umount $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
  rmdir $CHNGS/$BUNDLE

The sfsload package for Jessie and Mintpup depends on packages aufs-tools and lsof for the above code.

Included in attached archive 'sfsload+portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_allDDversions+Mintpup.tar.gz' are debs for all DD i386 versions and Mintpup:
The wheezy and squeeze .debs are just the same , just renamed for clarity.
Also: jessie and mintpup .debs, the same, just renamed for clarity..
And added also to the attached archive: upgraded portable-sfs-loadsfs-fuse .deb to v 1.0.5 (for the portablesfs 'SFS-load mode').

Good test case to compare between old SFS-load and fixed new for REAL unloading, is this slimjet .squashfs module:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/DebianDog/SFS/slimjet-i386.squashfs
(INFO: when testing on Jwm: Menu-puppy shows something like "Incognito window" but MJWM-menu shows proper entry 'Flashpeak-slimjet')

Fred
sfsload+portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_allDDversions+Mintpup.tar.gz
Description  New package 'sfsload' and upgrade of portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse for all DD versions and Mintpup
gz

Download 
Filename  sfsload+portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_allDDversions+Mintpup.tar.gz 
Filesize  30.14 KB 
Downloaded  125 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015, 05:25    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Good test case to compare between old SFS-load and fixed new for REAL unloading, is this slimjet .squashfs module:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/DebianDog/SFS/slimjet-i386.squashfs

Thanks Fred!
Tested only the right click load-unload sfs option in DD-Squeeze and MintPup for the moment using live-boot (casper-boot). Seems to work well.
There is a difference in Squeeze when trying to unload the module while the terminal with slimjet command is active. The message is the module can't be deactivated and I have to close the terminal window first. Then unloading the module works.
In MintPup I don't get this deactivated fail message but output "terminated." and the module is unloaded. Probably because the code is different.
I will try to do some more testing and update the repositories in the next few days.

If you can tell me where this slimjet module works (DD-Squeeze, Wheeze, Jessie, mintpup) I can upload it to Kazza's site.
I get unsupported hardware message.

Toni
test-squeeze.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   22.98 KB
 Viewed   752 Time(s)

test-squeeze.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015, 13:49    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

The slimjet .squashfs works for me on wheezy, jessie and mintpup.
Not on squeeze, I get this:
Code:
root@debian:~# flashpeak-slimjet
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)

It's made on wheezy. It seems like in general: Old mostly works on new, new mostly doesn't work on old (because of GLIB version).

To be clear so there's no possible misunderstanding;
The fix is is in case:
Activate module > run program > close program > properly deactivate module by killing any left over process (if there is).
Not sure if you attempted: Deactivating the module while the program is still running.
That is another thing, it might work or not, or take a long time (from what I briefly tested).
At the moment I can't think of another good test case for a squashfs module (besides slimjet) where a process hangs preventing unloading properly (even when the program is closed), from the past I do know this happens frequently.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2015, 07:29    Post subject:  

Thanks Fred.
Fixes posts and repositories updated.
Slimjet module available for download with sfs-get.

Toni

Buenavista

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2016, 07:02    Post subject:  

Hi,

Congratulation for this excellent Linux distirbution. I have been using it for few months and I am very happy (to make revive an old VAIO C1MSX which is in between a pentium II pentium III).

I just had to remoove the wifi stuff because my computer does not manage WPA key, it is limited to WEP and I think the stuff intialy implemented with Debian dog (as well as puppy did) does not deal very well with WEP key.

Best regards,
Buenavista
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2016, 06:36    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Just curious,
Does this menu.lst entry (grub4dos) work for you? (boot ISO directly):
(having DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso at the root of some partition)

Code:
title Boot DebianDog Jessie-jwm_icewm ISO (live-boot-3)
find --set-root /DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso
map --mem /DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live findiso=/DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso noeject noprompt
initrd /live/initrd.img

Works for me Smile, only thing is that the partition containing the iso is mounted RO

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:25    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.
Doesn't work for me with DD-Jessie. I get "kernel panic..." message on the attached screenshot. But I guess it is hardware or some kind of ram problem.

Works with DD-Squeeze and Wheezy. I can even use persistence save file on the boot partition after adding rw-basemount and persistence to the kernel line. Didn't test encrypted save file.

In DD-Wheezy all seems to work.
In DD-Squeeze I don't have internet connection:
Code:
root@debian:~# frisbee
dhcpcd[2506]: sending signal 1 to pid 1499
dhcpcd[2506]: waiting for pid 1499 to exit
dhcpcd: no process found
dhcpcd[2555]: version 5.6.4 starting
dhcpcd[2555]: eth0: up_interface: Cannot allocate memory
dhcpcd[2555]: forking to background
dhcpcd[2555]: forked to background, child pid 2556
/usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash: line 443:  2545 Terminated              /tmp/yaf-splash --class="gtkdialog-splash" --program=GTKDIALOG_SPLASH --center
/usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash: line 443:  2431 Terminated              /tmp/yaf-splash --class="gtkdialog-splash" --program=GTKDIALOG_SPLASH --center

Also htop gives different RAM result in Wheezy and Squeeze (screenshots attached). The Squeeze main module is gzip compressed and bigger than Wheezy and Jessie. This could explain htop RAM difference but not why Jessie doesn't boot on my machine.
Booting the system is around 40-50 seconds longer.

Toni
iso-boot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   69.39 KB
 Viewed   446 Time(s)

iso-boot.jpg

dd-wheezy.png
 Description   
 Filesize   21.7 KB
 Viewed   439 Time(s)

dd-wheezy.png

dd-squeeze.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.91 KB
 Viewed   431 Time(s)

dd-squeeze.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2016, 15:19    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing that much, Toni!

I expected already that it would be hardware related, so... it's a pity that the success of it is rather unpredictable.
It could be that GRUB2 does a better job booting ISO in some cases.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2016, 19:44    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Thanks for testing that much, Toni!

I expected already that it would be hardware related, so... it's a pity that the success of it is rather unpredictable.
It could be that GRUB2 does a better job booting ISO in some cases.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I haven't tested your menu.lst stanza since too busy with inlaws visit these days but wondered if there was anything different in what I posted in link below that might help. I was booting from iso using map and find etc:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=745265&search_id=1720338007#745265

EDIT: I do remember that it was important that the iso file was stored in contiguous form.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jan 2016, 17:51    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

For info:

On DebianDog64 I got this and more similar errors when trying to setup a multiarch environment to be able to install i386 packages:
Code:
Unpacking libgcc1:i386 (1:4.9.2-10) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libgcc1_1%3a4.9.2-10_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libgcc1', which is different from other instances of package libgcc1:i386

Now when I remove all the 0 byte files in /usr/share/doc, the errors are gone when installing again.

I can't remember, all I know is there was a good reason, why we zerosize these files instead removing them?

See also here, trying to install wine:i386:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=881963#881963

Fred
Page 25 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: