Thinkpad T40 Wifi-- Make Smoother Connection?

Deacon

Thinkpad T40 Wifi-- Make Smoother Connection?

#1 Post by Deacon »

After a long day of trying about 8 different puppies with this old IBM Thinkpad T40 (I kept going older and older) and not getting WiFi to hold for more than 5-10 seconds on any of them, I finally broke down, connected with the installed Windows, looked at the forum for multiple visits, until I finally made my original USB install of Slacko 6.3.0 from today work by changing the AP scan mode to "2", so I just put Slacko back, which-- outside the internet-- worked fine.

So far so good.

But WiFi still drops occasionally, and I feel like something's holding it back. It's not connecting smoothly. As I understand from an Ubuntu post about a similar computer it uses a "madwifi" driver. Is that included or would I expect more connectivity with that? How would I install it? Would it make a difference? Is there another setting I'm missing?

EDIT: While I'm usually an X-Slacko fan, my little netbook heroically died after drowning in a spilled pint of ale.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the command "lspci -nnk" and identify your Network Controller. What driver is being loaded?

For occasional dropouts, look at stay-connected.

greengeek

Re: Thinkpad T40 Wifi-- Make Smoother Connection?

#3 Post by greengeek »

Deacon wrote:... my little netbook heroically died after drowning in a spilled pint of ale.
Think of it this way - at least it died happy. Isn't that the way we would all like to go?
8)

Deacon

#4 Post by Deacon »

rcrsn51 wrote:Run the command "lspci -nnk" and identify your Network Controller. What driver is being loaded?

For occasional dropouts, look at stay-connected.
I got a hold of a desktop so I was ok until recently when I had to use the T40 again. Managed to get a bare connection on X-tahr and yep- stay-connected made it run just right! thanks!