2.13 Beta bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
amish

dunno why i'm posting

#61 Post by amish »

Hmm, I wonder if we should change the "drives" icon on the desktop to use Pmount, as MUT is not really being maintained.
In Pmount, a ROX window open on a partition that is to be unmounted is first closed before the unmount.
that would be a real pity. mut is one of the best things about puppy. no util, not even pmount, which is cool, makes mounting easier on people that are new to linux. there's automount, but that's just no good. suggestion: maintain mut... it would have been cool to see a cli version of mut for one bone too... ah well. EDIT: i stand by my suggestion regarding mut, but i will note that i was under the impression (based on his apparent love of tcl/tk) that barry wrote mut, and i couldn't understand why he wouldn't maintain it. it's a REALLY good util. but today i saw it was actually written by jesse liley. eh.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#62 Post by BarryK »

See my Developer News a few days ago. I did take MUT onboard, fixed it for 2.13.

amish

#63 Post by amish »

that's *great* news.

i missed it in the dev notes, i've only read the 2.13 release notes. (and if it's in there- i missed it.) thanks for keeping mut alive.

Tui

ROX-Filer

#64 Post by Tui »

Hi all,
this is my first shot at using the bug report, I hope I am in the
right place for this report. I am new to playing with these puppies!
I have downloaded a few versions of these little fellows, right now I
have got versions V2.0, 2.02, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12, 2.13BETA and 2.13 FINAL!
I have been playing with V2.13 FINAL and the front desk looks i.e. background wallpaper, icons and their font texts. I have found that the text for me is not as crisp and sharp (yes I have checked my glasses)as that used in v2.12, I have tried the various fonts offered via ROX-Filer in the "Pinboard" menu window, and I am not happy with the selection, maybe it would be better with an LCD screen? It would be nice to have back in V2.13, the "RECTANGULAR BACKGROUND SLAB" function this adds great value to the use of various background wallpapers. The slab colour is there to be changed but it can't be actioned. I want to get a version working well so as to pass on to a mate who is strugling with a HP machine using WIN98E with 64Mb mem and 5400rpm HD How do I add these changes?

Cheers Tui
Last edited by Tui on Thu 04 Jan 2007, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

Re: ROX-Filer

#65 Post by John Doe »

Tui wrote:maybe it would be better with an LCD screen?
I just switched today to CRT/VGA/XVESA from LCD/XORG Seems like you might have a point.

Although I do prefer the font type change itself. Something does seem a bit fuzzy now.

WhoDo

Re: ROX-Filer

#66 Post by WhoDo »

Tui wrote:I have been playing with V2.13 FINAL and the front desk looks i.e. background wallpaper, icons and their font texts. I have found that the text for me is not as crisp and sharp (yes I have checked my glasses)as that used in v2.12, I have tried the various fonts offered via ROX-Filer in the "Pinboard" menu window, and I am not happy with the selection, maybe it would be better with an LCD screen? It would be nice to have back in V2.13, the "RECTANGULAR BACKGROUND SLAB" function this adds great value to the use of various background wallpapers. The slab colour is there to be changed but it can't be actioned....[snip]... How do I add these changes?
Tui,

Here are a couple of things you could try:

1. Right Click any icon, choose Rox filer-Options-Pinboard and click to use Custom Font - scroll to Deja Vu Sans. That should give you some nice, sharp fonts on your icon text.

2. Outline text is replaced by Text Shadow in Rox 2.5 - it is in the same menu. Simply select Foreground and Background colours and nominate either "thin" or "thick" shadows by clicking the appropriate radio button. It definitely works; try it yourself by nominating a contrasting shadow colour and watch the results.

Hope that helps

Tui

ROX-Filer

#67 Post by Tui »

Thanks WhoDo,
I have tried all those nice things, but I still can't find the radio button to "action" the " background colours" slab, if you have a look back in puppy V2.12. you will see what I mean. Maybe I am looking in the wrong placein V2.13? I am still on first base with the desktop looks. It also works back in V2.02 I have a few HDs' setup with these little puppies.

Cheers

Sit Heel Speak

#68 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Tui wrote:... the text for me is not as crisp and sharp (yes I have checked my glasses) as that used in v2.12, I have tried the various fonts offered via ROX-Filer in the "Pinboard" menu window, and I am not happy with the selection, maybe it would be better with an LCD screen?
Tui, I'm just now getting my development machine set up and learning my way around the internals...but, when I do finally put out my first custom distro, one feature will be a wizard which enables the custom-tweaking of the fonts' sharpness to the individual machine. See my comparison screenshots hosted at tinypic.com, at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13900
and the comprehensive howto at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10576
If you carefully examine these screenshots, you may notice that Puppy's font rendering was best in the 1 series, specifically 1.08; in 2.01r2 it was 95% as good; in 2.10 it was 90% as good. I did not use Puppies 2.11 and 2.12, but I do notice substantial changes, not yet tracked down, in 2.13. The default fonts in 2.13, untweaked, are in my opinion the best of any Puppy yet. But when optimized to the best of my (admittedly not perfect, but better than most) ability, the fonts in 2.13 are not as sharp as the fonts in earlier Puppies. As I say, this I intend to rectify, when I build my custom distro--I will make a fonts-tweaking wizard, and enforce uniform font-rendering methods across all applications. Might take awhile though, as I have a life other than here.

Nathan F

#69 Post by Nathan F »

The reason for the difference in the options box is simple, we are using a new version of ROX. Puppy 2.12 and I think a couple other Puppies had a hacked ROX-1.22 that had antialiasing added, and with the font upgrades Barry did in 2.12 it is no wonder the pinboard looked so good to you. Personally I rather like the way ROX-2.5 looks so far as the pinboard goes, but I can't comment too much on font rendering because it isn't my area of expertise.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Tui

ROX - Filer

#70 Post by Tui »

Hi all again,
I have tried the PINBOARD features again and still no
joy with finding the "radio button" to action the BACKGROUND COLOUR
SLAB for the icon text. It would seem that it was lost in moving from
ROX-Filer v1.2.2 to v2.5, this is a very nice feature to have no matter
what update version that maybe introduced. The shadow colours feature
to the text works ok! The action name has changed from the v1.2.2 to v2.5
and this function works ok! As I said in my posting of Jan04 this is a
very important feature to have when one uses various dark background
wallpapers! I have not played with the other features in rox v2.5, Can
I go back to the old version v1.2.2

Can anyone of you advise me of how to fix this problem.

Cheers Tui

Tui

ROX-Filer

#71 Post by Tui »

Hi all, I think I have made my posting to the wrong box!

I see another member has opened one for Puppy V2.13 FINAL thats
where I should have been. There must be a better way forward, with these problems and not two steps forward and one back!

I am new to the LINUX OS so please be kind with my questions.

I am sitting hear in front of a 17" CRT monitor with a dot pitch of 0.21mm
(I think) with a res screen set @ 800x 640 on MSWIN98SE and it looks ok! So I can look at various OSs' with a 4 way switcher for separate machines.

I have just made a quick change to 1024x768 and it looks like I might need
to change my reading glasses to x2.5 power or higher! Anyway back to
800x640 I am happy with that.

As the LCD screen is here to stay I suppose we need to get to grips
with the various window sizes eg 15", 17", 19" and 21" my word thats
big! but people want to use them like the CAD and Graphic arts.

Some of these screens look like they have been put together with lots of large squares side by side horz and vert and the whole lot moving at a slow refresh rate -- a slow movie in action -- so a lot of testing required
to get the right solution for looking good "text format" sizes and styles

An army of testers required looking at different parts to test across
a wide range modules to complete the FINAL distro.

I must me talking a lot of bull--- with these thoughts!
p.s. I forgot to mention the wide screen versions for those LCDs'
Cheers Tui

John Doe

#72 Post by John Doe »

Nathan, thanks for the ROX tips. Completely disregard what I said in that other thread about the font rendering on displays. I think it happened because I transfered save files from on machine to another. Everything look better now (or perhaps I'm staring cross-eyed).