Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
algol68

#41 Post by algol68 »

@JamesBond

I upgraded to Virtualbox 5.0.10, alas I get the same result with the Fully Installed Slacko64.

I change screen resolution via Setup Puppy -> Graphics / Screen -> Change Screen Resolution.

Maybe the Windows Vista host is the issue.

Has anyone else tried a similar configuration?

tony

#42 Post by tony »

Slacko-630 32bit version.

Skype no microphone output. Solved by using Retrovol to tick and set Capture.

Capture not shown in alsamixer.

Retrovol found in Puppy setup > multiple cards > choose sound card > click Mike/spanner icon >choose sound card > click OK brings up retrovol to set up sound parameters.

Regards Tony.

Billtoo

Slacko/Slacko64 6.3.0 bug reports.

#43 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 SSD, pc is a Gateway desktop:

Video-Info 1.5.1 - Sat 21 Nov 2015 on Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0 - Linux 4.1.11 x86_64

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Installed applications with PPM + compiled some.

The CPU Frequency Scaling Tool wouldn't work properly until intel_pstate=disable was added to the kernel line of the menu.lst file.

It's working well now.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(23.25 KiB) Downloaded 1890 times

Artie

#44 Post by Artie »

gcmartin wrote:Service Management
Will service-fixes be via Service Packs (aka like TahrPUP great approach) or via fixes/Fix-packs (aka @ETP magnificent approach)? Or will it be a combination of both (this would, of course, be ideal)?
Coming from TahrPup I am also interested in the answer to this question.

drblock2

jwm-tray configuration and urxvt problems solved

#45 Post by drblock2 »

I installed Slacko 6.3.0 (32-bit) with my old save file from Slacko 5.9.3 with little difficulty. I did, however, run into two small problems which I was able to solve.

(1) The old jwm-tray configuration was not accepted. I solved this by copying /root/.jwmrc-tray from the old configuration to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray1. Setup | Desktop | Tray allows you to define several different trays and some prefer to use this utility.

(2) urxvt did not recognize the Ctrl-L command for clearing the console window, but simply provided a new line as with Return. In addition, The Home key did not move to the beginning of the line, nor the End key to the end. Both produced a tilde (~). I am using the standard German keyboard de (Germany).

Solving this problem took a bit of research on-line. But, thanks to Lightening at spin.de and wiki.archlinux.org, I was able to find a solution.

Simply add the following three lines of code to /etc/inputrc:

Code: Select all

"\C-l": "clear\C-m"
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line

unicorn316386

#46 Post by unicorn316386 »

One random thing I noticed: In Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit, there is a line on the top of the Multimedia menu. In older versions like 6.0.7.4, GNOME MPlayer is on top of the line, but now it is below it... it's almost like there is an invisible entry on top of the line to keep it existing. Perhaps GNOME MPlayer is on both the top and bottom of the line, and it puts it at the bottom to avoid duplication? Every time I regenerate the menu, the line comes back, unless I remove the <Separator/> in /etc/xdg/menu/puppy-multimedia.menu between mediaplayer and audiovideo completely. Does anyone know why this happens? Looking at the 'hierarchy' file, it seems that GNOME MPlayer is actually supposed to be above the line? How does it get below it? :lol:
Attachments
line.jpg
(39.15 KiB) Downloaded 1831 times

GullyProber

slacko6.3.0(64)

#47 Post by GullyProber »

tku micko and the gang -- as long as I can hear Radio NZ and the BBC I am pretty happy, and I was having trouble since Flash seems to have been squashed and quashed lately. However, I was delighted that I can get everything I want now with the 6.3.0 after having been out of it for a couple of weeks. Now I would like to install Blue Griffon. It used to be in a depository somewhere a while back. Tks all, you have made my week!http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images ... icon17.gif p.s. I also like the menu up the side which disappears when you have finished with it. Grouse!

watchdog

#48 Post by watchdog »

unicorn316386 wrote:One random thing I noticed: In Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit, there is a line on the top of the Multimedia menu. In older versions like 6.0.7.4, GNOME MPlayer is on top of the line, but now it is below it...
Look at the /usr/share/applications folder and the desktop files, look at the categories inside the desktop files: is the category of gnome-mplayer the same in older slacko and slacko 6.3.0?

chillinfart

#49 Post by chillinfart »

Slacko64 had a weird behavior with mesa drivers. It disappear after certain point of session (maybe Xorgwizard).

I'm trying luck with MesaLib 9.2.5 because i'm in great need to use sgminer and this version doesn't have a port from Catalyst drivers (i have a Radeon HD 5450, 3D upgrade wizard doesn't offer any upgrade).

EDIT: I see why Slacko used 9.1.7. (code errors with 3 files :cry: ) Trying to put back older drivers while i wait for propertiary Radeon drivers.

unicorn316386

#50 Post by unicorn316386 »

watchdog wrote:Look at the /usr/share/applications folder and the desktop files, look at the categories inside the desktop files: is the category of gnome-mplayer the same in older slacko and slacko 6.3.0?
Thank you. Didn't even think of right-clicking those files and opening them as text to compare. They are indeed in different categories. Replacing the 6.3 one with an older one moves the line below. Mystery solved! 8)

chillinfart

#51 Post by chillinfart »

For those who has issues with AMD Radeon, i tried this and at least i'm no longer with any weird behavior again.

First, if Direct Rendering or OpenGL goes off (second appear as "unknown" in HardInfo), use the old way to force DRI and GLX writing to xorg.conf.

# This loads the GLX module (if present). xorg 7.4/5 need explicit disable to disable...
	Load		"glx"
#    Disable    "glx" #LOADGLX

# This loads dri module (if present). 7.4 loads it by default, have to disable...
   Load       "dri" #LOADDRI
#    Disable "dri"
(default xorg.conf made by slacko appeared with both off)

And this additional step for DRI

Section "dri"
  Mode 0666
EndSection
Source: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-558746/

However, the issue about missing Mesa files reported posts ago still as a mistery. For now i suspect from Xorgwizard (who also made the change mentioned above).

The only bad of this, i can't use OpenCL with sgminer, i need prop drivers or any tweak to enable OpenCL in Mesa

cucuitui

Unstable screen resolution Slacko 6.3.0 32

#52 Post by cucuitui »

algol 68 reported similar issue Nov 20 2015. I changed resolution at startup from 1920x1080 to 1024x768. This is accepted and it runs fine for only a very short time till it reverts back to the original 1920x1080.

The machine is a brand new ECS Liva with Intel Bay-Trail Celeron N2808.
Slacko 6.3.0 download has good check sum. Frugal install on usb flash stick.

Many thanks for any input.

mavrothal

Re: Unstable screen resolution Slacko 6.3.0 32

#53 Post by mavrothal »

cucuitui wrote:algol 68 reported similar issue Nov 20 2015. I changed resolution at startup from 1920x1080 to 1024x768. This is accepted and it runs fine for only a very short time till it reverts back to the original 1920x1080.
Not sure if it is a bug in the dialog, but looks like it runs before the screen resize so the confirmation step (Permanent/Session/Cancel) is wiped out before it has the chance to be seen by the user. Thus it does not stick and after 1 minute goes back to the previous resolution.
Till a better fix do this change

--- a/usr/sbin/quicksetup
+++ b/usr/sbin/quicksetup
@@ -1638,6 +1638,7 @@
        exit
      fi
    fi
+   sleep 1
    XRANDR="`xrandr -q`"
    TESTLINE="$(echo "$XRANDR" | tr -s " " | grep "^ [0-9]" | grep '\*' | head -n 1)" #130202 'head -n 1' workaround for dual monitors (see also .xinitrc).

Or if not comfortable with patches, install the pet below.
Attachments
xrandrshell_fix-1.pet
(30.42 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Gyle

Menu manager/Bookmarks/Add program/PPM = bad link

#54 Post by Gyle »

Menu manager :
the "Puppy-package-manager/Bookmarks/Add program/Puppy-package-manager" item
is bad-linked to Puppy-package-manager-check-deps.

Very nice work !

nubc

#55 Post by nubc »

Slacko64 6.3.0 is slowing down. I installed the nouveau video driver. Is this driver accelerated? After a reboot, things are faster for about an hour and then things get sluggish. In 20 hours, things slow to a crawl, either that or I just lose patience. Do I need another video driver? Maybe I should go back to 32-bit Slacko.

specs:
Dell Precision 390
Core 2 duo processor
3.6 GB ram
2 TB hdd SATA
Hi def video card & monitor
Last edited by nubc on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#56 Post by mavrothal »

nubc wrote:Slacko64 6.3.0 is slowing down.
Do you have any indication of what is going on?
Is it a memory pressure?
Is the system swapping a lot?
Is something keeping the CPU busy?
Is there HD read/write slowdown?
Is that an objective slow down? ie if you run "time <application>" early after boot and the same 20h later do you get different numbers?

Regarding 32 vs 64 bit, there is not serious reason to run 64bit with less than 4MB of RAM, unless the "important app" is 64bit only. In almost all other cases 32 bit will be faster in such a machine.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

nubc

#57 Post by nubc »

I'm not that experienced with frugal installs. I find I want to rename the savefile for Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit after I named it for the first time when I rebooted. At what point can I rename this file?

Rename savefile from "slacko32_6.3.0" to "slacko32_630_savefile" with mv command?

I'm also trying to move an older savefile to another partition, it is taking an unusually long time to transfer. Why is this taking so long? It was only 8.5 MB but it took 15 minutes to transfer. What's going on?

EDIT: For some reason, after I moved a savefile (slacko 5.9.3) to another partition, I was prompted to set up another savefile for slacko 6.3.0 32-bit. So I named the new savefile "slacko32_630_savefile" and upon next boot, I deleted savefile "slacko32_6.3.0". Anything wrong with this replacement? This doesn't make any sense, unless all these frugals are sharing files.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to change the boot order of two frugal installs?

unicorn316386

#58 Post by unicorn316386 »

nubc wrote:I'm also trying to move an older savefile to another partition, it is taking an unusually long time to transfer. Why is this taking so long? It was only 8.5 MB but it took 15 minutes to transfer. What's going on?
8.5MB is impressively small. Good job. Did you change the size from 32MB to 8.5MB manually before rebooting? Or is it actually a save folder? Mine is 64MB (says 61MiB with 52MiB free when I put my cursor over the icon), so I'm still in the green. :lol:

nubc

#59 Post by nubc »

You have to realize, I am fumbling around, so I am not doing specific things on purpose. In particular, I am not resizing savefiles.

Oh yeah, 32-bit is fast. I am not gonna put up with the kind of lag I was experiencing in 64-bit. That kind of lag was painful.

I think I will wipe Slacko 5.5, full install Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit, and keep my fingers crossed that a delta file will be provided for 6.3.1. To prepare for this operation, it would be nice to temporarily move two savefiles and associated SFS files to another partition, and then move them back once the full install is on the drive, but if that is going to be problematic, please advise. I have no idea why the savefile transfer was hanging, unless there are mount points involved.

BTW, my compliments on the nice blue scroll bar.

cucuitui

Unstable screen resolution slacko 6.3.0

#60 Post by cucuitui »

Mavrothal - Many thanks for your quick reply and successful solution

Your diagnosis was correct and the xrandr pet solved the issue

My 71 year old eyes can now relax a little

I have no idea if the resolution problem is a bug in Slacko or just something fickle with my hardware

Again - Thanks