Use LILO (from another distro) to boot Puppy w/o CD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm not sure what quoting me means.... Is it like saying, "Okay, sounds good!", or is it like saying "Eh? What?"

If you don't have the cd (or not cd drive) you can get the files you need by mounting the iso (assuming you have another os running on the computer).

First, you'd download the iso file (the file you burn to the cd). Then, if you're in linux, you mount it. Sunburnt wrote an app for that I believe. Otherwise you can use mount <isofile> /mnt/data -o loop. Then the files would be in /mnt/data. From Windows, there is a program called 'IsoBuster' that can extract files from an iso. I don't know about from things like BSD or Mac, but I think they would be similar to the mount command.

Maybe the phrase 'top of the partition' isn't clear enough? It means the top of the filetree. As in C: in Windows, or /mnt/home/ Puppy, or / in a normal Linux.

I'm out of ideas now, so you're going to have to do better than quoting my post if I haven't helped you yet. :| An explanation would be nice.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

cruzin

Can grub be used also?

#22 Post by cruzin »

I have grub for a loader in suse9.3. I ran into problems. When I start the computer I have the option of Linux, Windows or Puppy
When I choose Puppy I get the error (unrecognized device string) calling out (root /dev/ram0) error 11. Any clues? thanks

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

Grub can definitely work. I'm using it now. I don't know much about it though, and this thread should probably stick to Lilo.

There have been many posts about it, so I'd suggest doing a search to see if anything useful turns up. Otherwise feel free to start a new thread about it.

Note: It is a good idea to state how you have Puppy installed (i.e. full harddrive install or frugal harddrive install). That will affect what the menu.lst file should look like.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gn2

#24 Post by Gn2 »

TonshA

#25 Post by TonshA »

Hi.

I just wanted to report that this solution worked for me. Following PG's instructions to the letter.

I have a dual boot - WinXP & SamLinux2006 - and wanted to use a frugal install of Pizzapup 3.0.1 on a completely separate partition.

Trying to install Grub didn't work - neither Pizzapup nor SamLinux would boot up again. Kept getting kernal panic.

In the end, I re-installed SamLinux and searched the forum for these instructions (I knew I had seen them, but it took a while to pin them down). Everything worked fine!

Thanks PizzasGood!

DaveA

P.S. "Why 3 distros?" you may ask. Well, Pizzapup for me & the wife - quick and easy to use. SamLinux for the games for the kids - they love TuxRacer, SuperTux, Powermanga, TuxKarts & Wormux. And Windows for Personal Ancestral File (That's ALL - GRAMPS doesn't cut it I'm afraid).