Where can I find a Calibre sfs to download?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
wimpy

Where can I find a Calibre sfs to download?

#1 Post by wimpy »

There is a link on the forum to a calibre.sfs. The link no longer works. I would be grateful for help in finding a sfs to download.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Wimpy, the binary here should work with both yer pups.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

wimpy

#3 Post by wimpy »

Thank you. That worked fine. Incidentally, the program recommended updating by using a terminal command -

Code: Select all

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
I ignored this for the moment because of the "sudo wget" - I'm not sure what adjustments should be made to that terminal command for puppy. In any case, unless I find a fatal flaw in this version, I'm inclined to leave well alone.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Sounds good wimpy, but stay away from the update.. It's going to require newer libs than either of your pups have.

Store it outside the save file and symlink it to your "my-apps/bin" folder.. Or anywhere you like for that matter.

A rename wouldn't hurt. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

wimpy

#6 Post by wimpy »

@Semme Thanks for the advice.
@ally I downloaded the SFS from your link. Thanks.
It did insist that it needed UTF-8 encoding. On a faster machine it would be fine, but on my slow rig I decided to stay with the pet, which doesn't seem to need it.

gcmartin

Calibre is ...

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Considering US courts recent decision on Google providing books for community access, this app may be a great utility for a home system's library management.

Author's site
Author's video

Fishy

Calibre Update

#8 Post by Fishy »

Hi I was wondering if someone could make an updated version of calibre?

Direct download from their site alway results in segmentation default. I have tried to follow the installation and install the proper dependencies but have only managed to screw things up. The existing calibre SFS will install in Tahr64 but unfortunately is too old to recognize my Kobo Glo HD. Checking off the plugin support newer firmware does not help.

Since reading is my major hobby it irks me to no end to have to boot my wife's windows box to install a book. The pain of waiting for updates to install before starting calibre is excruciating. :twisted:

Please help :cry:

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

I did one for Fatdog-700 back in April. It's not the latest but may be of use.

http://www.smokey01.com/fd700/sfs/calib ... x86_64.sfs

tlchost

#10 Post by tlchost »

from what I've experienced, the latest versions of calibre will not work with puppy....

keniv

#11 Post by keniv »

Hi smokey01
Thanks for the calibre .sfs. Unfortunatly it will not load for me. I am using wary tiny 511 on an old toshiba laptop (800MHz 320MB). This is quite fast with wary tiny. I am trying to keep my saave file as small as possible hence the need for an sfs. I know calibre needs python 2.6 or better. I have a pet for python 2.6 but was thinking of converting this to an sfs unless I can find a ready made one. I dont use python for anything else. Do you think this would work with your version of calibre?

Regards,

Ken.

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

No idea Ken. I only tested it in Fatdog-700.

Geoffrey

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

keniv

#14 Post by keniv »

Hi smokey01 and geoffrey,
Thanks for the replies and the link to calibre-1.1.0.sfs. I cannot get this one to load either. I have got calibre -0.8.29.sfs. It almost works in that it loads, asks for utf-8 encoding to be ticked then goes through its setup routine then crashes with it shutting down. I may give up with wary and try with lucid 5287 which I also use.

Regards,

Ken.

Fishy

Calibre Update

#15 Post by Fishy »

Hi Smokey unfortunately calibre 2.23 is one or two releases before the firmware update required. :(

Thanks for reading my request. :D

Pelo

native French speaking people : Calibre disponible

#16 Post by Pelo »

français de France et francophones d'Afrique ou d'ailleurs, tout sur Calibre ici
Calibre available and explained to french speaking people on the forum francophone.

mouldy

#17 Post by mouldy »

After trying couple linux versions Calibre and getting into dependency heck.... I tried the portable Calibre 3.31 windows version in wine-portable. It works, least best I know so far. I imported my Kindle books and with Apprentice Alf's plug in they are automatically de-DRM'd. Only had problems converting one to EPUB of those I tried. Maybe just something with that particular book. I set WINE to win7.

The problem with other ereaders is they are ereaders only and dont DeDRM or convert between formats.

I was going to use the Puppy Package Manager in Xenialpup64 to install Calibre, but it was telling me something like 27 dependencies and close to 200MB of downloads. Even that doesnt always mean it will work.

I already use wine-portable for Kindle reader so the portable Calibre for windows was only like 56MB. No chasing down dependencies and hoping....

UPDATE: Ok apparently adding lot books at once overwhelms the Apprentice Alf plugin so some dont get de-DRM'd. I deleted that book I was having trouble with, then added it again. This time the plugin caught it and de-DRM'd it. I was then able to both open it and convert it to EPUB.

Just saying Calibre 3.31.0 portable works fine with WINE. At least its a relatively easy option if you want latest version of Calibre.

666philb

#18 Post by 666philb »

hi mouldy,

in xenialpup you can find the latest calibre in quickpet.

in other pups you can try this in a terminal (needs python so install the devx.sfs first)

Code: Select all

wget --no-check-certificate -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331