2.13 final, like beta 1,2 will not start with config file

Please post any bugs you have found
Henry

2.13 final, like beta 1,2 will not start with config file

#1 Post by Henry »

I've opened a new thread here for the "final." (I hope it isn't.)

The situation is similar here. I've just gone through another session of xorgwizard hell. Using the new "TEST" button I get, as before, a good X screen. The only new possible new clue I have is that after I press ctl+alt+bspc I see a fleeting text line, too brief to read, but it seems to say "X connection to 0.0 broken . . ." or such.

Am I the only one with such a problem? All three 2.13s have started without a pup_sav.3fs file, but none start with one - a good one that always works with 2.12. What's wrong with 2.13 that wasn't with 2.12?

Henry

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

At http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14092 WhoDo says he had to rename his pup_save.3fs to pup_save.2fs to get it to work.

Henry

#3 Post by Henry »

Yes, thanks, I had seen that and tried it, but it wouldn't go at all.

I have tried several different config files, both 0.5G and my usual 1Gb, different computers, with and without copying sfs and zdrv, etc. Xvesa always worked with all prior puppies, but it won't work at all in this situation.

It's been baffling, so different from the great prior puppy experience I've come to appreciate.

Henry

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The "X connection broken..." message is okay.

Xvesa won't work!? It should do, there's no difference from before.
For the Video Wizard, the very first dlg window now asks do you want Xorg or Xvesa -- what happens if you choose Xvesa?

Henry

#5 Post by Henry »

Yes, I did try that - that's how I know it doesn't work. As I recall I get into a cyclic "type xwin" situation.

Henry

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

Good morning, Barry,

Finally some news. I've probably been driving people up the wall with this, but mostly myself. Here's what I found.

It's not a video problem at all. But there is something about the pup_sav.3fs file that 2.13 doesn't like and that keeps it from starting the video. As I've said over and over, 2.12 likes the configuration file and works perfectly with it.

So here's what I did. I started 2.12 without any configuration file. I did a modest amount of configuring - set the background to grey, enabled autohide, installed the Gimp, and connected to the internet. A very small amount of customizing compared to my working 2.12 system. This was then saved at exit as a new pup_sav.3fs.

I then booted from 2.13 final. It liked this simple new configuration and took off immediately, in Xvesa which I always use, no wizards, etc. So 2.13 _does_ start with a configuration file, just not the one I want, unfortunately.

So the mystery is what makes a configuration "incompatible," the fear of having to start over at each new version. I think we need to understand this in order to have confidence that a future upgrade will be successful. Right now I will have to start over if I want to use the new features in 2.13.

(Oops, I just noticed that the config is still a .3fs Shouldn't that have been converted into a .2fs? I'll run it again and check.)

Henry

John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

Henry, what is your hardware?

That might help everyone search for bugs.

Henry

#8 Post by Henry »

OK, I ran 2.13 a second time. It's still .3fs, and I had noticed that the first time it had copied zdrv_213.sfs to the hard drive. It starts quickly, runs Gimp, etc, but one lttle oddity - the grey screen is crosshatched until I choose the Xvesa setup from the menu ??

Well, it's progress of a sort.

Henry

Henry

#9 Post by Henry »

OK, John Doe,

Here's a nutshell. I don't know how much detail is needed. I do note that every version prior to 2.13 worked fine on this hardware.

Number Processors 1
Processor Description AMD Duron(tm), 1597MHz
Total Memory 479MB
Total Hard Drive 149GB
Display Senergy 560, 15.2" (31cm x 23cm)
System Uptime 0 Days, 0 Hours, 14 Minutes
BIOS Version American Megatrends BBS V3.20 0402
User Name  
Timestamp 1/3/07 12:25:33 AM

Henry

Henry

#10 Post by Henry »

Here's the video, but again, I think that's a red herring since I had the same problems on another more modern computer.

Device Type Display adapters
Device Name  
Description NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Driver Provider NVIDIA
Driver Date 12-27-2002
Status Code 0
Status Message OK

Henry

John Doe

#11 Post by John Doe »

Henry wrote:...I think that's a red herring..
Perhaps. Although I'd say it's more of a discovery process.

Don't forget, the folks working on this want it to work as well for you as you'd like it to work. Sometimes these problems boil down to firmware versions.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

:?

We need to sort this. I had a similar sort of experience. I was actually trying to create an unleashed from my first pristine boot of Puppy 2.13 . . .

I loaded from the new created distro
got a kernel panic message - OK (I barely know what I am doing so OK)

. . . then I tried running from 2.13 - same

OK I will boot from ram only with "pfix=ram"
SAME - kernel panic

Oh dear . . .
OK I need to boot from HD
to clear the .sfs (which it should not be picking up? Maybe it is picking up from a tmp file or .sfs on another partition - or something . . .)

My Grub from HD broken - oh dear . . .

I had a Pizzapup Alpha (based on 2.12) - no joy (again I got the message 'not synching - kernel panic')

My last resort was booting from a second CD copy of 2.13 (again with pfix=ram) and this time I was OK

So is the boot sequence searching through hard drives partitions (I think I have about 6) and picking up wrong instructions?

Sorry can not offer more help
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Henry

#13 Post by Henry »

Thanks for sharing that, Lobster. I can appreciate it.

I have been checking and rechecking. You know how time-consuming that can be, but I have pretty good confidence that everything I reported above is correct, with this one exception
"but one lttle oddity - the grey screen is crosshatched until I choose the Xvesa setup from the menu ?", which was a finger fumble of mine. Forget it.

Also, I am confident that there are no stray instances of configuration files elsewhere on my four hard drive partitions or the one usb flash. (The 98se find function is worthless for this on large files, but I looked in all the plausible places and of course used gtkfind with all mounted.)

So, to recap:

1- I now have 2.13 final working with a simple dummy config file that was upgraded from 2.12 as a test and

2- I have my regular working 2.12 final with all tweaks. There seems to be no way to upgrade this to 2.13, as reported :(

Henry

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Henry wrote: Oops, I just noticed that the config is still a .3fs Shouldn't that have been converted into a .2fs?
No. pup_save.3fs works fine in 2.13.

Henry

#15 Post by Henry »

Sorry to keep harping on this. I'm just a "user", but it probably could happen to someone else equally unable to fix it. So I have some questions -

Is there a way to examine or test the content of pup_sav.3fs to determine if there is some corruption or whatever that doesn't matter in the current version but prevents upgrading to the next?

Is a pup_sav "cleaner utility" feasible?

If I bit the bullet and started configuring over again in 2.13, is there any assurance that an upgrade to 2.14, etc will work? (Yes, I know - no guarantees, etc. but is this the plan?)

What is thought to be the cause of this - a bug, intolerance of package handling errors (of which I've encountered many), or what, and the outlook for preventing it? Yes, of course I understand that any file can be corrupted, becoming unusable, but if a configuration works in one version it should be (I think) usable in the next, at least to the point of being able to adapt it. It it won't run at all it's a show-stopper.

Thanks for your patience. I know and appreciate that Barry and others are doing superhuman work here that is greatly admired and appreciated. Just wondered what the thinking was on this. No one can expect prompt action on any specific issue. There are many other priorities.

Now I stand to be corrected or informed.

Henry

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted by poster)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 14 Jan 2007, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#17 Post by Henry »

Not sure I understand. I don't have or want a hard drive installation, although I do have the pup_sav.3fs on the hard drive of course.

Henry

Sit Heel Speak

#18 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Ah. Sorry for being both obtuse and flippant. (rest of apology deleted by poster -- irrelevant)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 14 Jan 2007, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

Thanks, your comments are very welcome, informative if not corrective ;-)

I have really been quite rigorous and cautious about my testing. I have a whole stack of numbered backup pup_sav.3fs files, all of which are good with 2.12 and untouched by 2.13. After trying 2.13 I am careful to delete the tainted file and copy out another pristine one to try again. I did indeed at one point try the pfix=clean thing although it was by definition not applicable since I had a pristine file.

I have not used any "universal installer" as far as I know.

I have the growing suspicion that 2.13 should still be a beta, so I am simply going to wait. 2.12 is very solid.

Henry

Ledster

#20 Post by Ledster »

Just to add my experiences to this thread. Posted this on the software forum, with only one response - sympathy from a fellow sufferer!

<
My first real problem with Puppy!
Downloaded the 2.13 full drivers iso, Checksum ok.
Ran it to upgrade my 2.12 version (CD start to hard disk .3fs) and all went ok up to starting xwin - a quick glimpse of something and exit to prompt. typing xwin gives the same result. I'm pretty sure my computer can't cope with xwin, but Puppy 2.13 thinks it can and can find no way to revert to the xvesa driver I was using before. I could reinstall - a boot entirely from CD offers me a choice of xvesa or xorg, so I know it is still available (I tried both - xorg crashes, xvesa works).

Is there a way to force 2.13 to start with xvesa? I have tried typing Xvesa, but it only gives me a grey patterned screen with an X for a cursor. Nothing else. I hate giving in to a piece of software!

Computer is a 450Mhz Pentium 2 with 128Mb RAM and an S3 Trio video card with 2Mb RAM.
>

Tried examining the xorg.conf file but past "#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard..." it was blank

Since then I have tried several times using the Xorgwizard and it has now totally trashed itself. The startup goes normally up to starting the xvideo and then the screen goes totally blank. Nothing I can do.

Good job this was my trial setup, the main one will stay on 2.12 for now - unless someone cleverer than me can sort out what the problem is.

Ches