LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
corvus

LxPupTahr-15.09.3 on Asus A555lLX 64bit laptop

#121 Post by corvus »

Hi peebee I tried your LxPupTahr-15.09.3 on a 64bit laptop, ASUS A555LB, works OOTB. :D
Great job, thanks.

corvus
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

peebee

LxPupTahr-15.09.4

#122 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr-15.09.4 is no longer available - was based on tahrpup64-6.0.3.8

@Corvus - thanks - but you also need to thank 666philb for the underlying tahrpup64

@Tote - thanks

I'm still struggling with the gvfs problem.....
Last edited by peebee on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Dry Falls

Re: LxPupTahr-15.09.4

#123 Post by Dry Falls »

peebee wrote:I'm still struggling with the gvfs problem.....
not sure if this will help, but do you have this in /usr/libexec? Also, a dependency of gvfs that's not obvious is libsecret. I used libsecret-0.15-x86_64-1.txz from slackware for JL64, but I'm sure there are equivalent debs.

edit:Well, tried the new iso. I guess gvfs trash is a whole different beast. As Gilda Radner once said:

"never mind."
Attachments
gvfs-fuse-daemon.fake.gz
(31.95 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

peebee

Re: LxPupTahr-15.09.4

#124 Post by peebee »

Dry Falls wrote:
peebee wrote:I'm still struggling with the gvfs problem.....
not sure if this will help, but do you have this in /usr/libexec? Also, a dependency of gvfs that's not obvious is libsecret. I used libsecret-0.15-x86_64-1.txz from slackware for JL64, but I'm sure there are equivalent debs.

edit:Well, tried the new iso. I guess gvfs trash is a whole different beast. As Gilda Radner once said:

"never mind."
Hi Dry Falls

Thanks for your interest and suggestions - appreciated.

I didn't have gvfs-fuse-daemon in /usr/libexec - put your attachment in but it made no difference. I would expect the daemon to be called gvfsd-fuse though (which also isn't in /usr/libexec so I may try to track that down)??

i do have libsecret in the build....

The problem is that gvfsd and then gvfsd-trash are not starting for "some reason"....the reason may be that the symbol DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not being exported from dbus-launch..........
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

corvus

#125 Post by corvus »

peebee wrote: @Corvus - thanks - but you also need to thank 666philb for the underlying tahrpup64
You're right Peebee, I apologize for the oversight. :oops:
The strange thing is that I tried tahrpup64 6.0.3.7 beta but it doesn't work for me, when X starts up I get a black screen. :?
Regards

corvus
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

peebee

LxPupTahr64-15.10.1

#126 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr64-15.10.1 based on tahrpup64-6.0.3.9

Sadly, still exhibits the gvfsd / trash problem.....
Attachments
capture21854.png
(121.34 KiB) Downloaded 2300 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

32bit support for LxPupTahr64

#127 Post by mikeslr »

Initial Subjected deleted as it could only cause confusion-- see next two posts.

General Complaint: This is the problem with one thread containing the discussions pertaining to more than one Pup. I appreciate that it may make it easier for the Dev of several related Pups to keep on top of questions. But it makes it far more difficult for users to follow what is being done to what. I don't know when the practice of discussing several Pups in one thread began. I think it was when jejyg69, using Precise pup as a base, developed several different window managers for it.

Regretfully, the Forum is already maze. I strongly recommend that where two or more Pups have fundamentally different core structures, or the evolution of a Pup results in it having a fundamentally different core structure than its predecessor, each such Pup should have its own thread.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 21 Dec 2015, 19:00, edited 4 times in total.

peebee

Re: 32bit support for LxPup64

#128 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:32Bit Support in the former can be obtained by loading the 32bit_compatibility_libs_tahr64.sfs
Only suitable for LxPupTahr64

LxPup64 is based on Slacko64....

sszindian

LkPup64

#129 Post by sszindian »

Just an update on LxPup64-15.05.01

If you install the Slacko 32-bit libs package from-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... lacko6.sfs

it allows the 32-bit-
Google_Earth-6.0.3.2197-luki.sfs
(33M)
from-

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/sfs/

(Place both in your /mnt/home directory)

to work very nice!! I mean 'Very Nice!!!'

I am assuming that many other 32-bit programs will run as well but I haven't tried any yet.

peebee: You can put a feather in your hat for giving the public this particular 64-bit build and IMHO I would have to think long and hard before updating any of the major functions you already have in this build! It's right up there with the best and in many instances... beyond !

So far in my testing of several other of the latest puppy distro's, this is (so far) the only one that displays the transparency in Conky the way it should be at boot-up. No messing with restart-x, clicking on icons in various fashions, 'It Just Works!'

Also... your 'Top Menu Tray' the way it is now is really a 'simple pleasure' to work with, again IMHO much nicer than the newer version out there... hope you don't change this any too soon!!! (I'm not about to.)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

LxPup64-16.01.02

#130 Post by peebee »

LxPup64-16.01.02.iso is available

This is a new build of LxPup64 made directly from LXDE components (in the same way as 32-bit LxPup) rather than relying on the Porteus LXDE 64-bit module as per previous builds. Openbox is at version 3.6.1, LxPanel version 0.8.0, PcManFM version 1.2.3

It is a direct derivative of 01micko's latest Slacko64-6.3.0 - it is therefore slackware64-14.1 based and has kernel 4.1.11

The software repository, devx and kernel sources are all as for Slacko64-6.3.0

The iso identifies as Slacko64-6.3.0 and therefore cannot be used to upgrade a previous LxPup64 frugal installation unless the savefolder/file is renamed

The iso is currently a standard iso (i.e. not a hybrid uefi iso)

The differences compared to the 32-bit flavour are: lxpanel rather than lxpanelx (no hide below, no recent docs in menu, different cpu monitor), lxappearance instead of the bespoke version, no options (top-panel and right-clicks are pre-installed).

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 15 Oct 2016, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

sszindian

#131 Post by sszindian »

LxPup64-16.01.01

Noticed that the new version doesn't have the 'nice startup features' that xPup64-15.05.01 had??

First .iso load from DVD... LxPup64-16.01.01 wanted to grab the Slacko64 savefile configurations from my HDD (lots of various puppy files on two connected HDD's.) A cold shutdown while still loading prevented that from changing anything in the Slacko64 savefolder. A reboot using pfx=ram at startup got me to the LxPup64-16.01.01 desktop. Installed the flash in the browser, made a few on-line tests at various sites... all went well.

Next... installed some programs from the PPM, and transfered some apps from previous LxPup64-15.05.01 over to LxPup64-16.01.01... all went well. Might add, the transfers were 'extremely fast.'

Decided to shutdown and create a 'multisession DVD' instead of my usual savefile/folder to the HDD on a reboot shutdown.

Everything seemed to go well with the save and we shut down then came the reboot.

Some of my configurations were saved but... I had a new pink 'Slacko64 - yes, logo and all' desktop and the tray was now the NEW STYLE jwm thats in Slacko64 and positioned at the L/H of the desktop screen with brand new type icons?

It appears some more work is needed with the multisession save feature from Slacko64?

Looks promising! Keep up the good work, and glad to be able to test for you.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

#132 Post by peebee »

There was a problem in 16.01.01 that obconf did not work with newer openbox-3.6.1 - fixed in new 16.01.02 - see above.

Delta available:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... a/download

@sszindian - thanks for the feedback
as noted above:
"The iso is currently a standard iso (i.e. not a hybrid uefi iso)"
so no 'nice startup features' as yet

The 'multisession save feature from Slacko64' is a mystery to me ;-)
it may very well get confused by the way I make LxPup64....and not copy the LxPup bits as it doesn't 'know' about them - maybe? Not sure what to suggest other than "don't use this feature".....but you could try just dropping out to the terminal (Log out) and typing xwin startlxde ....

mikeslr

Significance of LxPupTahr-15.10's lack of Trash

#133 Post by mikeslr »

Hi peebee,

I've just done a frugal install of LxPupTahr-15.10 to my Acer AspireOne D270. It appears to be working well. You've posted, and I've noticed, "The lack of Trash".

As I've spent a considerable amount of time using jwm-rox systems, the lack of Trash facilities doesn't concern me much. Usually, when I want to delete something I'm certain about that intent. Moving it to "Trash" and then having to "really delete it forever" seems like a needless expenditure of effort. On the rare occasions when I may want to think about it, I can move files to a folder named "2Be_Deleted" --out of the way, yet recoverable.

I am more concerned that the pcmanfm seems also to lack a "delete" option. Rox, of course, has it and it works well.

But what happens to the file when you use pcmanfm's "move to trash"? (a) Is the file deleted; or (b) moved somewhere and now unrecoverable/hidden? (c) Something else?

You've probably run across my posts in the last year or so indicating that I always employ Frugal installs, run under PupMode 13, setup to never Automatically Save. So you can appreciate that one of the situations I don't want is to have my SaveFile filling up with unwanted files I thought I was permanently removing.

If "move to trash" isn't working as a real "delete", can a real delete be added to pcmanfm's right-click options?

mikesLr

peebee

Re: Significance of LxPupTahr-15.10's lack of Trash

#134 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:can a real delete be added to pcmanfm's right-click options?
mikesLr
Hi mikesLr

I'm not on LxPup64-Tahr to check, but I thought I had added the right click options (including permanently delete)? - anyways the .pet to try is attached.

You can also permanently delete in pcmanfm with shift+delete keys

Trashed files are moved to /initrd/mnt/dev_save/.Trash-0 (hidden file)

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lx_right_clicks-0.6.pet
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

peebee

LxPup64-16.10.1

#135 Post by peebee »

UPDATED - 15-oct-2016

LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid is available from Sourceforge

This is a derivative of slacko64-6.9.6.4 (Slacko64-700-Beta2)

- Slackware64-14.2 based
- Kernel 4.1.32 64bit
- Woof-CE 'rationalise' build
- iso is uefi / hybrid
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(117.95 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 15 Oct 2016, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#136 Post by peebee »

Superceded by hybrid iso....

peebee

LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid.iso

#137 Post by peebee »

LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid.iso

Delta from LxPup64-16.10.1.iso

30afee4bc5e15dd54e646940166a563b LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid.iso

belham2

impersonators of LxPups.......

#138 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid.iso

Peebee,

Can I ask a quick question? Are you the person behind "Simplicity Linux"?? I went and downloaded their "mini", "desktop" and "X" version, and I first started with the "mini', and I was kid of taken aback when it booted up, it was exactly (I mean every detail, look, to what's included in the menus, to how its organized, etc, etc) as your LXPup. I could find no difference between yours and Simplicity's....it is like downloaded yours and just wrote the Simplicity Name on a the background logo. Every thing else is "exactly" the same :?

It kind of turned me off, in a big way, because if he is not you, he is ripping you (micko/phil) off big time and trying to push something that he's saying is "his" when in fact it is what you've all been doing for a long time now.

Apologies if I don't understand something here.....like maybe it really is you (or approved by you/micko/phil) and you all are just branching out to try to create a more recognizable family brand based on the slack&xenial LxPups (lxde, etc).

peebee

Re: impersonators of LxPups.......

#139 Post by peebee »

belham2 wrote:

Peebee,

Can I ask a quick question? Are you the person behind "Simplicity Linux"?? I went and downloaded their "mini", "desktop" and "X" version, and I first started with the "mini', and I was kid of taken aback when it booted up, it was exactly (I mean every detail, look, to what's included in the menus, to how its organized, etc, etc) as your LXPup. I could find no difference between yours and Simplicity's....it is like downloaded yours and just wrote the Simplicity Name on a the background logo. Every thing else is "exactly" the same :?

It kind of turned me off, in a big way, because if he is not you, he is ripping you (micko/phil) off big time and trying to push something that he's saying is "his" when in fact it is what you've all been doing for a long time now.

Apologies if I don't understand something here.....like maybe it really is you (or approved by you/micko/phil) and you all are just branching out to try to create a more recognizable family brand based on the slack&xenial LxPups (lxde, etc).
Hi

No - Simplicity is nothing to do with me or anybody else who contributes to Puppy Linux (as far as I know).

The "author" just takes from Puppy Linux and does not contribute to the forum or give anything back to Puppy Linux (as far as I can tell). He does not make any sort of contact. Some of the changes he makes are of very poor quality and I am somewhat embarassed that people might think I have anything to do with Simplicity - I do NOT!!

But thanks for asking....
Cheers
peebee

belham2

Re: impersonators of LxPups.......

#140 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:
belham2 wrote:

Peebee,

Hi

No - Simplicity is nothing to do with me or anybody else who contributes to Puppy Linux (as far as I know).

The "author" just takes from Puppy Linux and does not contribute to the forum or give anything back to Puppy Linux (as far as I can tell). He does not make any sort of contact. Some of the changes he makes are of very poor quality and I am somewhat embarassed that people might think I have anything to do with Simplicity - I do NOT!!

But thanks for asking....
Cheers
peebee

No worries, Peebee, as I had mentioned, soon as I saw him basically copy everything from you guys, off it went and I deleted what I had downloaded from it. Just wish there was a place I could write a review warning people if they want the "real thing", to come here (or your LXPup web page) and not there. Simplicity is a crock of lies, imho!

Thanks again for all you do..... :)