tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1061 Post by bigpup »

New version Pup-SysInfo-2.6.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101
- Updated network report to accurately detect the status of firewall_ng (Puppy's new firewall).
- Bugfix: display of log reports failed if special control-code characters present.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

eadmaster

EMGD drivers for Intel Gen7 GPUs

#1062 Post by eadmaster »

Hi, according to this page
the EMGD driver should provide better performance than the open source intel i915 module.
Can i install the deb packages from this repo or i need a custom build for tahrpup?

RetroTechGuy

Re: Firefox issues

#1063 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Brown Mouse wrote:Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour with Firefox 41.0.2 and previous versions in Tahr 6.0.3?
Issues such as sluggish scrolling,freezing and constant crashes?

TIA for any feedback.
I've been having the same under Lupusuper 1 and 2 also...

It seemed to have started at or about V39.

When it crashes, it always reports that it was unable to submit the crash report...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

deslife

JWM: different background image for each virtual desktop

#1064 Post by deslife »

Hi guys!
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.
I am trying to it switch different background image for each virtual desktop by using tips from this old thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94470

I was curious about changing wallpapers on each virtual desktop. It seems that tahrpuppy uses pwallpaper so maybe it works differently?

<Desktops width="4" height="1">
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/puppylinux.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/bike-outback.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/world-fiveworld.png</Background></Desktop>
</Desktops>

This doesnt work.
Tried running commands fixmenus then jwm -restart. But no use.

666philb

#1065 Post by 666philb »

hi deslife
set_bg is in /usr/sbin in tahrpup 32bit ...so the command might be able to just be e.g.

Code: Select all

<Desktop><Background type="command">set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</Background></Desktop>
if not use the path /usr/sbin/set_bg

FYI here's another script that does the same using wmctrl in tahrpup

#!/usr/bin/env bash
pdt=0
while sleep 1; do
    cdt=$(wmctrl -d | grep '*' | cut -f1 -d' ')
    if [ $cdt -ne $pdt ] 
    then
        case $cdt in
    	    0 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/Mono_Lake.jpg;;
            1 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/uk_glacial_lake_wales.png;;
            2 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg;;
        esac
        pdt=$cdt
    fi 
done
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

deslife

#1066 Post by deslife »

666philb wrote:hi deslife

<Desktop><Background type="command">set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</Background></Desktop>
if not use the path /usr/sbin/set_bg

done[/code]
Wow thanks for the quick reply. It works!

rufwoof

#1067 Post by rufwoof »

Downloaded 6.0.2 PAE ISO earlier, extracted vmlinuz, initrd.gz ...etc and set menu.lst (frugal) to boot and all started up fine. Fonts were way too small for my liking so reconfigured to use larger font scale ...etc and now more appropriate for my antique eyes.

Set to boot pupmode 13 i.e. in my menu.lst (grub4dos) adding the pmedia=ataflash parameter to the kernel does the trick

title Tahr6
kernel (hd0,2)/tahr6/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash
initrd (hd0,2)/tahr6/initrd.gz
and menu, system, pup event manager, save session to set 0 (never auto save) and 'ask whether to save' (see attached image) checked/ticked. Also commented out around lines 379 in rc.shutdown to default to not saving rather than prompting (also shown in attached image)

Using a directory/disk based savefile.

So now have the 'read only' type pup that I prefer that once configured to how I like can be more or less cast in stone (no further saves), but the option to click the save icon to revise that if the need arises. Since moving to puppy 18 months ago the biggest attraction for me is the read-only choice. Screw things up or catch a virus and a reboot has you back up and running again within seconds. I just keep things outside of puppy space i.e. use firefox portable which is on HDD and I use a online email account (so accessed via browser) and don't store any docs etc inside puppy but instead store them in folders on the HDD. So once puppy's configured to how I like I have no need to click the 'save' icon and can reboot to the exact same image each and every time. Or if something does need to be changed then reboot, make changes, click save ... and those changes are made 'permanent' thereafter.

So far everythings looking great and not found any bugs at all. Prompted me to download a 6.0.3 upgrade or something like that - which all installed ok (still shows it as being a 6.0.2 however when I click the personal storage space tray icon).

Great stuff. Highly impressed. Thanks 666philb et al.
Attachments
pe.jpg
(94.44 KiB) Downloaded 1511 times
sd.jpg
(77.34 KiB) Downloaded 1566 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

Re: upgrading tahrpup kernel

#1068 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:Hi marlowe221,

Check your email first.

The unpacked upgraded kernel consists of two files: vmlinuz and zdrv_tahr_6.0.sfs. You substitute them for the current files of similar names. Although you may have done the upgrade to 6.03, I think your zdrv,,,.sfs still bares the name zdrv_tahr_6.0,2.sfs.

I suggest that you create a folder, perhaps named "old kernel" and move your current zdrv_xxx.sfs and vmlinuz into it --just in case. Then move the new zdrv_xxx.sfs and vmlinuz to the same location as initrd. Rename zdrv_tahr_6.0.sfs to zdrv_tahr_6.0,2.sfs or whatever your old zdrv was named.

mikesLr
I've just downloaded via QuickPet the 3.17.7 PAE kernel, I boot via grub4dos so I extracted the two files, copied in the new (later) vmlinuz to where grub4dos boots. I then extracted the contents of initrd.gz

mkdir NewDir
cd NewDir
zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -id

and then changed the pointers for puppy, zdrv, adrv ...etc to 6.03 versions in DISTRO SPEC before reassembling the initrd.gz again

find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip >../initrd.gz

I then renamed puppy sfs to a 6.03 version and moved in the new zdrv sfs as a 6.03 version ... and rebooted OK

Edit/Update

After rebooting things were still showing as 6.0.2 (as per attached image) so I changed /etc/DISTRO_SPECS to point to 6.0.3 values instead of 6.0.2 values (near the top and for each of puppy sfs, zdrv, adrv ..etc near the bottom) - and now everything reports as being 6.0.3.

Of course I backed up the folder contents before doing all of the above.

Update 2 : since installed 4.0.4 PAE 32 kernel and all working well.
Attachments
k.jpg
(56.92 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times

rufwoof

LZ4

#1069 Post by rufwoof »

I believe that as of linux kernel 3.19 support for LZ4 compression/decompression is available/supported.

I've installed compiled versions of mksquashfs5 and unsquashfs5 together with lz4 and its associated lib(s) and find that the claimed faster decompression (comparable compression) speeds are apparent.

I did try extracting initrd.gz and reforming a initrd.lz4 and booting that, however that failed, so I'm guessing that lz4 compression tag/switch (whatever its called) isn't being set for tahr 4.0.4 kernel compilations (kernel and kernel compiling is beyond me although I have done it in the past when following detailed instructions (IIRC by Emsee)).

For my slacko version I tend to extract initrd.gz and drop in puppy sfs into that and reform the initrd.gz, as initrd is being compressed that means that remaster doesn't have to use compression and can more or less just do a straight copy when creating puppy.sfs (i.e. remastering is fast), and then the content of initrd and puppy.sfs compressed together when creating the initrd.gz file. Being able to support a faster decompression alternative such as lz4 might be a useful addition to post 3.18 kernel compilations, especially if its just a simple switch/tag setting change ???

unicorn316386

#1070 Post by unicorn316386 »

@rufwoof: Haha, you have your puppy set up exactly like me (frugal, ataflash so I can use Save icon instead of question or automatic saving + adding rc_shutdown hack and 0 in pupevent, using savefile and grub4dos menu.lst). I like having control of when I can save and found oldschool savefile style easier to delete/replace. :D Looking forward to trying tahrpup 6.0.4.

rufwoof

#1071 Post by rufwoof »

unicorn316386 wrote:@rufwoof: Haha, you have your puppy set up exactly like me (frugal, ataflash so I can use Save icon instead of question or automatic saving + adding rc_shutdown hack and 0 in pupevent, using savefile and grub4dos menu.lst). I like having control of when I can save and found oldschool savefile style easier to delete/replace. :D Looking forward to trying tahrpup 6.0.4.
I've switched to use a directory save now and like it :) I just rebooted pfix=ram and after loaded I just shutdown to create a new safe folder, and then booted ram again, deleted the contents in that save directory/tree, opened (view) the previous safefile sfs and copy/pasted the contents to the new directory. Then just deleted the savefile and now boots up using savefolder - with no worries about having to resize a savefile etc.

To backup I just use

mksquashfs tahrsave tahrsave.sfs -noappend

i.e. my savefolder is tahrsave and the above creates a sfs image of that savefolder content - just in case.

Booting with the option to only save when you manually trigger such a save means that you can boot ... play .... corrupt/screw up etc and simply not save, just reboot back to a 'factory fresh' (but configured) pup again. I love the option of being able to surf/play/tinker without the worry of screwing up and having to reinstall/reconfigure again. I know - with judicious backups etc you can do that with full installs, my trouble is that most often the screw-up occurs at the most distant time since the last backup.

I go through phases of trying things. Load up new pet's/sfs's/programs etc and a simple reboot 'undoes' all of those changes. More usually after trying perhaps 5 to 10 different choices one will stand out as the one I want to install, so after a reboot I just load that single choice and ... click save ... and its then in the core pup at each and every reboot thereafter.

Running a 'read only' system but with the option to easily update/change that is great IMO and once you're used to that going back to systems that can be changed at each/any session (read/write) is, for me, a uncomfortable thought. Main reason why puppy has stolen my heart and I've used nothing else for 18+ months now since having moved across from XP.

bigpup

#1072 Post by bigpup »

Prompted me to download a 6.0.3 upgrade or something like that - which all installed ok (still shows it as being a 6.0.2 however when I click the personal storage space tray icon).
This is a known bug.
Quickpet->Info will show the correct version at the bottom of the Info Window.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#1073 Post by 666philb »

new iso uploaded for testing

this is mainly a bugfix iso but there are a few new things and updated packages

kernel 3.14.56 (this may change)
dunst OSD ...nice little on screen display
JWM desk manager replaces lots of entries in the desktop menu (radky)
multirename replaces gfnrename (sfr)
full samba (mikeb)
netmon_wce replaces network_tray (01micko)
gcc-4.8
hacks_post_install .... official googleearth.deb now works
new gtk themes

updated...

geany..also added paste it plugin
deadbeef ...switched to compiled version
sylpheed
palemoon (will be the latest for the release)
transmission ...using qt version
and lots of other packages & ubuntu.debs

known bugs
quickpet still needs updating and drivers building for the release kernel.
IDLE menu entry in utilities
missing release info in help

hopefully there's not to much else wrong

downloads
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... pup-6.0.4/

happy testing
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

rufwoof

Re: 6.0.4

#1074 Post by rufwoof »

Frugal installed 6.0.4. Copied across previous savefolder and the bootup of 6.0.4 did a modest job of updating (didn't import background/wallpaper setting. Lost edits of etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown - but otherwise OK).

Showing 2 network icons - because of the changeover of choice of default network config and my importing the prior savefolder, deleted one out of Startup/autostart and that fixed the problem.

I like the configuration options (JWM manager) having things all-in-one place rather than here-there-everywhere. I had difficulty in 6.0.3 trying to locate things in the larger menu.

My main 64 bit died the other week so running on a old 32 bit. Finding that the initial screen load (desktop background image) takes quite a while (few seconds) to 'load'. Extracting and rebuilding puppy sfs to use low compression expands the puppy sfs by around 100MB is a little slower to 'copy to ram' during bootup, but flies thereafter. With current compression of puppy sfs VLC is a bit iffy, with low compression the problems seem to disappear.
Attachments
a.jpg
(67.41 KiB) Downloaded 1452 times

Billtoo

tahrpup 6.0.2 CE

#1075 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard drive, pc is an HP mini Stream.

root# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0.4

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1920x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

▶—— BASE SYSTEM ——◀

PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: 200-009

Motherboard Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: 2B38

BIOS Vendor: AMI
Version: 80.03
Release Date: 12/15/2014

Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Max Speed: 1400 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1400 MHz, 1:1400 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 2

Frequency governor : powersave
Freq. scaling driver : intel_pstate

Phys 0 (coretemp) : +43.0 C (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 0 (coretemp) : +39.0 C (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1 (coretemp) : +43.0 C (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(73.51 KiB) Downloaded 1299 times

James C

#1076 Post by James C »

Just enough time for a quick live test run at the moment but no problems yet.All basics working on boot and nothing unexpected has happened,

root# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0.4

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

root# inxi -Fff
System:    Host: puppypc18322 Kernel: 3.14.56 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: tahrpup 6.0.4
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 3500.00 MHz 5: 3500.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 clflush cmov cmp_legacy 
           constant_tsc cpb cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid 
           fma fma4 fpu fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx 
           mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc npt nrip_save nx osvw pae pat pausefilter 
           pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp 
           sep skinit sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm tce topoext tsc 
           tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme vmmcall wdt xop xsave 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 78x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.14.56
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel 
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 134 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 194.3/8020.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 

peebee

#1077 Post by peebee »

Hi 666philb

Thanks for tihs new tahrpup

Tested in pristine frugal install.

All OK initially, but problem with wifi - sns fails to connect whereas frisbee connects AOK.

I'll PM you the sns-log

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#1078 Post by mavrothal »

Tried 6.0.4 both fresh and update.
Booting from CD offered and copied all new SFSs, initrd,vmlinuz in the correct location so next boot from HD was ready to go.
I had no issues with preserving Desktop settings background etc (I do not use anything special for shutdown)
Indeed you have 2 network monitors as /root/Startup/network_tray.desktop is still there. You nay want to add

chmod 000 /root/Startup/network_tray.desktop
in the rc.local of the next version.
Also quickpet, does not update and offers (and downloads) the previous 2.7MB fixes file (does not do that on fresh installs).
Finally as peebee mentioned alread SNS fails with a wired connection both in updated and fresh installs.
Should be something strange as the dhcp log shows that the connection was done successfully and the correct IP was acquired.

Latter: Looked a bit on the SNS issue and it appears to be hardware specific. ie in sone (virtual) machines is OK and in some is not. In all cases though 6.0.2/3 was OK.
Some output is probably not "understandable" by dhcpd/SNSs. :?
This suggests that might be kernel configuration differences. Is it the same kernel as 6.02/3? If not, are there any changes regarding networking?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rufwoof

adrv as savefolder

#1079 Post by rufwoof »

unicorn316386 wrote:@rufwoof: Haha, you have your puppy set up exactly like me (frugal, ataflash so I can use Save icon instead of question or automatic saving + adding rc_shutdown hack and 0 in pupevent, using savefile and grub4dos menu.lst). I like having control of when I can save and found oldschool savefile style easier to delete/replace. :D Looking forward to trying tahrpup 6.0.4.
With either savefile or savefolder, if you create a adrv_tahr_6.0.4.sfs of that savefolder and pfix=ram the next boot then your savefile/folder content will be available in that session. You'll also get a prompt at shutdown to save and if you select that it will suggest that a savefile/folder already exists with that name and provide the option to create another with a 1 or whatever suffix. At the next boot without pfix=ram it will pick up the adrv content and ask which savefile/folder version to use (which you should pick the one with the 1 suffix). Or after having locked in the content of the original savefile into the adrv that savefolder could be deleted and the one with the 1 suffix renamed without that 1 suffix so that you weren't prompted at each boot.

The main point being that after a new frugal install and having tweaked/configured to how you like, that save image can be made read only by making it into a adrv, so that all future reboots will start with that exact same (stable) puppy/configuration.

mksquashfs tahrsave adrv_tahr_6.0.4.sfs -noappend is the command I used to form a adrv from the savefolder.

I guess its possible to merge a new adrv from the existing adrv content plus the existing savefolder content, but I haven't tried that.

As tahr is also configured for a ydrv I guess that if you were using a adrv already then the ydrv might suffice instead for the above.

Good for those of us who after having got puppy set up how we like and who keep data/docs outside of puppy space we can create a adrv as above and then pfix=ram boot thereafter and eliminate the savefolder (and not save at shutdown). If/when changes are required then perhaps the easiest choice would be to extract the adrv content to tahrsave folder, remove that adrv sfs, boot (without using pfix=ram) and make the changes to puppy configuration, then recreate another adrv sfs from that tahrsave folder before deleting the tahrsave folder.

666philb

#1080 Post by 666philb »

mavrothal wrote:
Latter: Looked a bit on the SNS issue and it appears to be hardware specific. ie in sone (virtual) machines is OK and in some is not. In all cases though 6.0.2/3 was OK.
Some output is probably not "understandable" by dhcpd/SNSs. :?
This suggests that might be kernel configuration differences. Is it the same kernel as 6.02/3? If not, are there any changes regarding networking?
the kernel was built using iguleders new config, i'll need to xfdiff the two dotconfigs and see what was missed.

on a separate note .... in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, line 11

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="MENHEIGHT" onroot="3">
where's the value of MENHEIGHT coming from? as in tahrpup602 the menu & submenus are a uniform size. in tahrpup64 the submenus are too big and in tahrpup 604 the main menu is too big