Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Nov 2019, 22:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 71 of 119 [1777 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, ..., 117, 118, 119 Next
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 01:35    Post subject:  

@gcmartin
Thanks for trying to help out but I am very apprehensive about finding a solution concerning ndiswrapper in a 01micko slacko puppy. You see, for some inexplicable reason, the developer ignored my posts in the forum and PMs about ndiswrapper being missing. When Geoffrey, in response to my rant, asked that I test a pet he had prepared for Slacko-5.7, I agreed to do so but stated that I would not be using it.

As a service to the community, I will do as you ask and report. I wont use a pup for which I don't get support. That's why I stick with 666philb's tahrpup.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 02:10    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
about ndiswrapper being missing

ndiswrapper does not come as part of the kernel - it has to be separately compiled for each kernel and is kernel specific. It is more akin to a proprietary video driver like nvidia in development terms. It is a bit tricky to compile.

LxPupTahr-15.05 (based on TahrPup 6.0.3 and same kernel !!important!!) does have ndiswrapper included so you could try that - or you could move the driver from the LxPupTahr iso to your system....

p.s. I think you are extremely unfair to 01micko!!!

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 06:23    Post subject: Tahrpup installed multiboot ( with Racy 5.3 & 55)
Subject description: tahrpup64 beta and ASUS X205TA (keyboard)

Installed 6.0.3.8 with Grub4dos voir ici, pour francophones.

I do appreciate Tahrpup 6.0.2 32bits.
Smile Ah : there is yet a newer version : this is tahrpup64 beta 6.0.3.9 build with 64bit ubuntu 14.04 trusty tahr libs.
I shall see later -9 on test ASUS X205TA here for keyboard with kernel k4.2.5

Last edited by Pelo on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 05:27; edited 7 times in total
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 13:14    Post subject:  

@peebee

I know ndiswrapper is not included in the kernel and has to be compiled for the specific kernel used in the puppy. I have written elsewhere about the need for developers to recognize that when more Windows refugees adopt puppy, they come with Windows adapters, in many cases requiring ndiswrapper . I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup; why don't other developers? But the easy solution, despite it being "a bit tricky to compile" is a clear Howto, which is what I ask. I would rather try and fail several times, for once I am successful and I document my success, I won't need to bother anyone anymore.
Code:
 Chinese proverb
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Let there be no doubt that I appreciate your suggestion to use LxPupTahr. No offense intended, but I'm not a fan of Lx. We all have our likes and dislikes; it's nothing personal. I'll try extracting the ndiswrapper.ko. Thanks.

You wrote
Quote:
p.s. I think you are extremely unfair to 01micko!!!

Unfair? No way! I do not resile from the statements of facts I made. As Sgt. Joe Friday's used to say: "Just the facts, ma'am."

01micko has made and continues to make a tremendous contribution to the puppy community. No doubt about it. I acknowledge and appreciate his work, but despite my high esteem of him as a coder/developer, he is human with chinks in his armour like all of us; he is not a god to be worshiped. I am sure he is grateful for your support.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 14:25    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup;

Feedback from somebody that it was needed....can't remember who....

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2015, 14:29    Post subject:  

@peebee

Quote:
You wrote:
Quote:
B.K. Johnson wrote:
I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup;

Feedback from somebody that it was needed....can't remember who....

That is exactly the point. Somebody asked and you responded; you did not ignore. Case closed.

augras

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 04:52    Post subject:  

Hi,
bigpup wrote:

In a full install of Tahrpup with service pack 6.0.3 installed.

I used this code in a console:
Code:
. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> vmlinuz
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> $DISTRO_ZDRVSFS

Now all locations show version as 6.0.3
Hardinfo
Pup-sysinfo
Pwidgets
etc....

I try the same thing but hardinfo and others still say 6.0.2.
Philippe
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 12:50    Post subject: Firefox issues  

Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour with Firefox 41.0.2 and previous versions in Tahr 6.0.3?
Issues such as sluggish scrolling,freezing and constant crashes?

TIA for any feedback.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 09:59    Post subject:  

Hi, Brown Mouse.

Funny you should say that..... join the club! I've been using Tahrpup since it was released last year, and Linux in general since April last year.

I used to like FireFox in Windows. But in Linux, despite it being the browser of choice for many distros, it always seems to have problems. I've never run one instance of Linux Firefox yet where it doesn't exhibit at least two of the symptoms you've described.

I've installed it via PPM. I've installed .pets. I've even downloaded & unzipped from Mozilla's list of all the Firefox releases from the very first, and installed it into /opt. They all have problems of some kind.

I don't think you'll find it's specific to Tahrpup, or Puppy.....more like Linux as a whole.

But Firefox has only ever been my backup browser in recent years; I much prefer Chrome/Chromium.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 26 Oct 2015, 16:10; edited 1 time in total
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 13:40    Post subject:  

Hi Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes,I'm sure you are right with regard to Firefox being the culprit as appose to Linux.Though it does seem to be worse for me in Tahr.
I had a sudden thought yesterday but it didn't click at the time that a few weeks ago I was playing around with Windows Vista for two weeks and kept getting browser and cursor freeze whilst in that too which always resulted in me having to hit the reset button.I could never get it to do it whilst using other browsers.A different scenario but nevertheless always whilst using Firefox so may well be linked.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct 2015, 23:53    Post subject:  

New version Pup-SysInfo-2.6.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101
- Updated network report to accurately detect the status of firewall_ng (Puppy's new firewall).
- Bugfix: display of log reports failed if special control-code characters present.

eadmaster

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2015, 21:10    Post subject: EMGD drivers for Intel Gen7 GPUs  

Hi, according to this page
the EMGD driver should provide better performance than the open source intel i915 module.
Can i install the deb packages from this repo or i need a custom build for tahrpup?
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct 2015, 01:06    Post subject: Re: Firefox issues  

Brown Mouse wrote:
Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour with Firefox 41.0.2 and previous versions in Tahr 6.0.3?
Issues such as sluggish scrolling,freezing and constant crashes?

TIA for any feedback.

I've been having the same under Lupusuper 1 and 2 also...

It seemed to have started at or about V39.

When it crashes, it always reports that it was unable to submit the crash report...

deslife

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2015, 18:40    Post subject: JWM: different background image for each virtual desktop
Subject description: old thread and different pup

Hi guys!
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.
I am trying to it switch different background image for each virtual desktop by using tips from this old thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94470

I was curious about changing wallpapers on each virtual desktop. It seems that tahrpuppy uses pwallpaper so maybe it works differently?

<Desktops width="4" height="1">
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/puppylinux.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/bike-outback.jpg</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/world-fiveworld.png</Background></Desktop>
</Desktops>

This doesnt work.
Tried running commands fixmenus then jwm -restart. But no use.
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2015, 18:58    Post subject:  

hi deslife
set_bg is in /usr/sbin in tahrpup 32bit ...so the command might be able to just be e.g.
Code:
<Desktop><Background type="command">set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</Background></Desktop>

if not use the path /usr/sbin/set_bg

FYI here's another script that does the same using wmctrl in tahrpup
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
pdt=0
while sleep 1; do
    cdt=$(wmctrl -d | grep '*' | cut -f1 -d' ')
    if [ $cdt -ne $pdt ]
    then
        case $cdt in
           0 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/Mono_Lake.jpg;;
            1 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/uk_glacial_lake_wales.png;;
            2 ) set_bg /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg;;
        esac
        pdt=$cdt
    fi
done

Page 71 of 119 [1777 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, ..., 117, 118, 119 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: