tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#1041 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

I just saw this pretty sight and I thought I'd share it! http://iso.linuxquestions.org/
(3rd panel, bottom left)

So, again... hats off to 666philb! :)

What's that listing on DistroWatch?! (hehe)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

EEEpc_user

#1042 Post by EEEpc_user »

Hello!

OS has failed to update.

I've launched Puppy Package Manager and a message appeared telling me to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3, I agreed. In the end it said that update was applied succesfully. I rebooted and my version is still 6.0.2. PPM no longer asks me if I want to upgrade.

I'm using frugal install to file, I saved session before rebooting. Using grub4dos to boot.

I did everything that is shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R24zip58Uiw except that I used PPM first before discovering quickpet. Was this my mistake?

EDIT: sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I suppose I should've posted it in bug reports.

666philb

#1043 Post by 666philb »

EEEpc_user wrote:Hello!

OS has failed to update.

I've launched Puppy Package Manager and a message appeared telling me to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3, I agreed. In the end it said that update was applied succesfully. I rebooted and my version is still 6.0.2. PPM no longer asks me if I want to upgrade.

I'm using frugal install to file, I saved session before rebooting. Using grub4dos to boot.

I did everything that is shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R24zip58Uiw except that I used PPM first before discovering quickpet. Was this my mistake?

EDIT: sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I suppose I should've posted it in bug reports.
hi EEEpc_user

if you've installed the service pack you should be up-to date. open quickpet and it should say tahrpup version 6.0.3

it will still say 6.0.2 when booting but that's due to an artifact with the layered file system (an older DISTRO_SPECS file gets layered over the newer one)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Wognath

scanner issue

#1044 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
Thanks for Tahrpup, I've had generally flawless experience with it. But I am having problems with an HP printer-scanner. Printing is fine, but I'm unable to get scanning to work. hplip_print-3.14.10 and hplip_scan-3.14.10 from links here
#sane-find-scanner: no USB scanners found
#scanimage -L: segmentation fault
#peasyscan: no scanner found

Edit
Solved! After reading that there was a seg. fault bug in some versions of hplip, I tried hplip-3.9.12-scan.pet from smokey01/software/setup and scanning now works.

Tahrpup 6.0.2 + updates, Acer Revo, HP Photosmart C4480

anewuser

Re: Evince not opening djvu files

#1045 Post by anewuser »

666philb wrote:
thanks added to 'tahrpup updates' in quickpet
Link please, so that I carry updates to a usb drive for offline installations.

666philb

Re: Evince not opening djvu files

#1046 Post by 666philb »

anewuser wrote:
666philb wrote:
thanks added to 'tahrpup updates' in quickpet
Link please, so that I carry updates to a usb drive for offline installations.
this is the update.zip .... it contains all updates since the 6.0.3 service pack.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... hrfix7.zip
the evince update is in the /usr/lib/evince/3/backends folder and is the 2 files containing djvu in their name. the other 2 files are the cbr plugin
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

sitdown

Acer aspire E15 Dead mouse and keyboard.

#1047 Post by sitdown »

I have exactly the same problem as "der-schutzhund", look in the bottom of this thread page, it is when he starts explaining the soulution, but i am not shure how to do this.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7af3e3c34f

1. Mouse and keyboard is dead, same problem if i use usb keyboard and mouse.
2. I need to use legazy boot for usb boot. (This means that i am not able to boot windows unless i go back to secure boot, if somebody also wants to help me with this later, i am grateful.)
3. I have tried differrent solutions in the Bios, like USB3 advanced or basic, as with schurtzhund i can not see any more settings that would matter.

So if somebody could please explain how to do this, i would be grateful.

Update: booted the same USB stick tahrpup and updated to servicepack 3, but no luck.

bigpup

#1048 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

About version number not changing after installing a service pack.

In a full install of Tahrpup with service pack 6.0.3 installed.

I used this code in a console:

Code: Select all

. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS 
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> vmlinuz 
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> $DISTRO_ZDRVSFS
Now all locations show version as 6.0.3
Hardinfo
Pup-sysinfo
Pwidgets
etc....

I was using this code as part of trying to change the kernel.
I really used it on the wrong install of Tahrpup.
But, I did get this to happen by using it.
I am not totally sure if this is really the proper code to use to just get the displayed version number changed.
If it is, good.
If not, maybe give you some idea, of how to do it, with the next service pack.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

B.K. Johnson

ndiswrapper missing

#1049 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi guys
My tahrpup-6.0.3 has been acting up so thought it was time to give the tahrpup64-6.0.3.9 a spin.
Boots OK. All seems well except I can't connect to wifi. It's the ndiswrapper thing again. The screenshots tell the tale. The ndiswrapper.ko file is missing in /lib/modules/*. The pets I have are for k3.14.2 and k3.15.4 which I suspect won't work with the pup's k3.14.5.

root# inxi -F
System:    Host: puppypc40cst64 Kernel: 3.14.54 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM git-1288 Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.3.9
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dx2300 Microtower serial: MXL735149W 
           Mobo: MSI model: 0A90 Bios: Phoenix version: MS7336 1.08 date: 05/25/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82946GZ/GL Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 78x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.14.54
Network:   Card-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family LAN Controller driver: e100 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:19:db:c5:86:a3
           Card-2: Ralink RT3062 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R driver: rt2800pci 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: c8:3a:35:c6:5b:f8
           [color=blue]Card-3: NetGear WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231] [/color]
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 88.0GB (91.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD082GJ size: 80.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: DT_101_G2 size: 8.0GB 
Partition: 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 100 Uptime: 51 min Memory: 255.6/3250.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 
Can somebody please write a Howto/step by step how to create the pet so I can get this baby off the ground?

[EDIT]
This post should have been made in the TahrPup64 thread.
Attachments
ndiswrapper_fles.png
The ndiswrapper files found. No ndiswrapper.ko
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
ndiswrapper_not_found.png
ndiswrapper not found
(11.58 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
invalid_driver_tp64.png
invalid driver
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

gcmartin

#1050 Post by gcmartin »

Hello BKJ. This post by me, does NOT address your request. But, it may resolve your problem. Pull this SLACKO PUP, boot, and report your WiFi success.

If it does as I suspect, you may continue to let the community know via its thread: Slacko64 HERE.

Hope this is helpful

B.K. Johnson

#1051 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@gcmartin
Thanks for trying to help out but I am very apprehensive about finding a solution concerning ndiswrapper in a 01micko slacko puppy. You see, for some inexplicable reason, the developer ignored my posts in the forum and PMs about ndiswrapper being missing. When Geoffrey, in response to my rant, asked that I test a pet he had prepared for Slacko-5.7, I agreed to do so but stated that I would not be using it.

As a service to the community, I will do as you ask and report. I wont use a pup for which I don't get support. That's why I stick with 666philb's tahrpup.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

peebee

#1052 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:about ndiswrapper being missing
ndiswrapper does not come as part of the kernel - it has to be separately compiled for each kernel and is kernel specific. It is more akin to a proprietary video driver like nvidia in development terms. It is a bit tricky to compile.

LxPupTahr-15.05 (based on TahrPup 6.0.3 and same kernel !!important!!) does have ndiswrapper included so you could try that - or you could move the driver from the LxPupTahr iso to your system....

p.s. I think you are extremely unfair to 01micko!!!
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Pelo

Tahrpup installed multiboot ( with Racy 5.3 & 55)

#1053 Post by Pelo »

Installed 6.0.3.8 with Grub4dos voir ici, pour francophones.

I do appreciate Tahrpup 6.0.2 32bits.
:) Ah : there is yet a newer version : this is tahrpup64 beta 6.0.3.9 build with 64bit ubuntu 14.04 trusty tahr libs.
I shall see later -9on test ASUS X205TA here for keyboard with kernel k4.2.5
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 09:27, edited 7 times in total.

B.K. Johnson

#1054 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee

I know ndiswrapper is not included in the kernel and has to be compiled for the specific kernel used in the puppy. I have written elsewhere about the need for developers to recognize that when more Windows refugees adopt puppy, they come with Windows adapters, in many cases requiring ndiswrapper . I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup; why don't other developers? But the easy solution, despite it being "a bit tricky to compile" is a clear Howto, which is what I ask. I would rather try and fail several times, for once I am successful and I document my success, I won't need to bother anyone anymore.

Chinese proverb
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Let there be no doubt that I appreciate your suggestion to use LxPupTahr. No offense intended, but I'm not a fan of Lx. We all have our likes and dislikes; it's nothing personal. I'll try extracting the ndiswrapper.ko. Thanks.

You wrote
p.s. I think you are extremely unfair to 01micko!!!
Unfair? No way! I do not resile from the statements of facts I made. As Sgt. Joe Friday's used to say: "Just the facts, ma'am."

01micko has made and continues to make a tremendous contribution to the puppy community. No doubt about it. I acknowledge and appreciate his work, but despite my high esteem of him as a coder/developer, he is human with chinks in his armour like all of us; he is not a god to be worshiped. I am sure he is grateful for your support.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

peebee

#1055 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup;
Feedback from somebody that it was needed....can't remember who....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

B.K. Johnson

#1056 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
You wrote:
B.K. Johnson wrote:
I don't know why you chose to include the functionality in your LxPup;
Feedback from somebody that it was needed....can't remember who....
That is exactly the point. Somebody asked and you responded; you did not ignore. Case closed.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

augras

#1057 Post by augras »

Hi,
bigpup wrote: In a full install of Tahrpup with service pack 6.0.3 installed.

I used this code in a console:

. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS 
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> vmlinuz 
echo -n $DISTRO_IDSTRING >> $DISTRO_ZDRVSFS
Now all locations show version as 6.0.3
Hardinfo
Pup-sysinfo
Pwidgets
etc....
I try the same thing but hardinfo and others still say 6.0.2.
Philippe

Brown Mouse

Firefox issues

#1058 Post by Brown Mouse »

Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour with Firefox 41.0.2 and previous versions in Tahr 6.0.3?
Issues such as sluggish scrolling,freezing and constant crashes?

TIA for any feedback.

Mike Walsh

#1059 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Brown Mouse.

Funny you should say that..... join the club! I've been using Tahrpup since it was released last year, and Linux in general since April last year.

I used to like FireFox in Windows. But in Linux, despite it being the browser of choice for many distros, it always seems to have problems. I've never run one instance of Linux Firefox yet where it doesn't exhibit at least two of the symptoms you've described.

I've installed it via PPM. I've installed .pets. I've even downloaded & unzipped from Mozilla's list of all the Firefox releases from the very first, and installed it into /opt. They all have problems of some kind.

I don't think you'll find it's specific to Tahrpup, or Puppy.....more like Linux as a whole.

But Firefox has only ever been my backup browser in recent years; I much prefer Chrome/Chromium.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 26 Oct 2015, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Brown Mouse

#1060 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes,I'm sure you are right with regard to Firefox being the culprit as appose to Linux.Though it does seem to be worse for me in Tahr.
I had a sudden thought yesterday but it didn't click at the time that a few weeks ago I was playing around with Windows Vista for two weeks and kept getting browser and cursor freeze whilst in that too which always resulted in me having to hit the reset button.I could never get it to do it whilst using other browsers.A different scenario but nevertheless always whilst using Firefox so may well be linked.