Cannot exit to prompt without freezing system

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Graf_Koks

Cannot exit to prompt without freezing system

#1 Post by Graf_Koks »

Problem description:
- precise-puppy seems to boot normally
- GUI (jwm) is shown and working (however firefox crashes)
- when trying to exit to prompt or shutdown, system freezes

The precise-puppy image was configured on an old laptop and is now used on a Lenovo-laptop. That is, the old xorg configuration might be responsible for the behavior?

What works is booting puppy with pfix=nox, and command line is possible. Also starting xorgwizard works:
- ATI can be tested, exits with error
- VESA can be tested, test-picture with working mouse shows up but then system freezes again
- the third possibility I have not used yet

I also installed the newest VESA-package (I think it was 2.3.3) via the package-manager, but when the system starts the xserver, there is a segmentation fault.

I also cannot create a clean puppy installation for exchanging the xorg.confs because the Lenovo machine has no cdrom.

Any suggestions? Maybe someone can provide a working xorg.conf for Lenovo T440s or similar machines?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Is that an installed Puppy or Frugal?

Frugal works on my T43P OK.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Graf_Koks

#3 Post by Graf_Koks »

Burn_IT wrote:Is that an installed Puppy or Frugal?

Frugal works on my T43P OK.
It's an installed puppy, I guess.

Similar to the network problem, there is no kernel driver in use for video (lspci -v). Ubuntu uses i915. I also tried this ugly new puppy version from april, which also works fine. It also uses i915.

There is an i915 module in precise puppy, but I guess it is again too old. So I would like to upgrade or compile it. However, I cannot find a package or source for i915 to upgrade to a newer version ... maybe my next try will be to copy the i915 module from the april-puppy ...

BTW, I think, everytime the screen freezes, there is a segmentation fault. Moreover, firefox crashes also due to a segmentation fault.

Graf_Koks

#4 Post by Graf_Koks »

Copying the module from the newer puppy clearly did not work since the kernels differ in version.

Argghhhh, I am really pissed in the moment. There must be source code for compiling somewhere ... Grrrr !

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

What version of Precise are you using?

It does make a difference.

Looking at the specs for this computer, one of the newest versions of Puppy will probably give better support.

Tahrpup 6.0.2
Slacko 5.7
Tahrpup64
Etc...

The Vesa driver should have worked.
When using Xorgwizard and you tried the Vesa driver.
Did you choose a known to work resolution?
The Vesa driver is limited to basic resolutions.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Graf_Koks

#6 Post by Graf_Koks »

bigpup wrote:What version of Precise are you using?

It does make a difference.
It's 5.7.1
bigpup wrote: Looking at the specs for this computer, one of the newest versions of Puppy will probably give better support.

Tahrpup 6.0.2
Slacko 5.7
Tahrpup64
Etc...
So Quirky worked like a charm. But it misses a lot of the 5.7.1 features I love so much. If there is a newer puppy similar to 5.7.1 I would upgrade. But it should have this OS-encryption feature.
bigpup wrote: The Vesa driver should have worked.
When using Xorgwizard and you tried the Vesa driver.
Did you choose a known to work resolution?
The Vesa driver is limited to basic resolutions.
The Vesa driver works: it starts, I can do stuff, even running seamonkey works. But when I start the current firefox, then firefox crashes due to a segmentation fault. When I want to shutdown or exit to prompt, the screen freezes (which I think is also due to a segmentation fault).

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Graf, you're describing the behavior of hardware that isn't entirely VESA-compliant. This is not uncommon (unfortunately), at least in my experience -- VIA is a particular offender there, but you've managed to avoid that -- your graphics are Intel.

Boy, it's a sad day when *Intel's* graphics are no longer fully VESA-compliant... ugh...

Have you tried other graphics drivers? IIRC, there's an 'intel' driver as well as the i915 one.

As for segfaults -- those are nasty bad. A segmentation fault is when a program (driver or otherwise) writes to memory that is outside its allotted 'chunk' -- causing all kinds of corruption. This could be why Firefox isn't working, for example. Probably time for a fresh start.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

If there is a newer puppy similar to 5.7.1 I would upgrade. But it should have this OS-encryption feature.
Try:
Tahrpup6.0.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178
YaPI(any iso installer)

Graf_Koks

#9 Post by Graf_Koks »

bigpup wrote:
If there is a newer puppy similar to 5.7.1 I would upgrade. But it should have this OS-encryption feature.
Try:
Tahrpup6.0.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178
Hmm ... but who is 666philb?

No offence, but I would prefer to know the person behind the build and not only some pseudonym. I was not able to figure it out yet.

Yes, yes ... I know, I am paranoid ... :roll:

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Hmm ... but who is 666philb?

No offence, but I would prefer to know the person behind the build and not only some pseudonym. I was not able to figure it out yet.

Yes, yes ... I know, I am paranoid ... Rolling Eyes
Puppy is developed by people all over the world. :shock:
If that bothers you.
Do Not Us It :!: :!:

666philb is one of the top developers of Puppy.
Has been around for years.

Do you think my real name is bigpup?
YaPI(any iso installer)