Accessing a shared linux printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
bushyiii

Accessing a shared linux printer

#1 Post by bushyiii »

I have a Linux Mint box with an attached USB hp Printer. It is setup to be shared. What do I do in puppy to be able to use it?

chapchap70

#2 Post by chapchap70 »

Hi bushyiii,

Those who might be able to help you might need a little more info such as: Which Puppy and version are you using? Does Mint use Cups?

In the meantime, the Printing section of this forum is here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=27

rcrsn51

Re: Accessing a shared linux printer

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

bushyiii wrote: It is setup to be shared.
There are two steps to setting up a printer as shared. When I tested this in Ubuntu 12.04, it auto-detected my USB printer and declared it as shared.

But that's not enough. You also need to set the CUPS server on the Mint machine in sharing mode.

1. Using your web browser, go to http://localhost:631/admin.
2. Under Advanced, select: Share printers connected to this system.
3. You will need an admin-level password to make the change.

If this is done correctly, you should be able to scan your network using PeasyPort with Port 631 and find the Mint machine.

You need two pieces of information about the Mint machine: its IP address and the exact CUPS name of the printer.

1. Start the Puppy printer wizard. Under Add Printers, select Internet Printing Protocol.
2. Enter the URI as: ipp://aaa.bbb.cc.dd:631/printers/printer_name. For example:

Code: Select all

ipp://192.168.2.12:631/printers/HP-Deskjet-F4200-series
3. Select the Make and Model of the target printer.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 22 May 2014, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

bushyiii

#4 Post by bushyiii »

I had already enabled cups to share the printer under advanced settings but Peasyport does not find it. However, following your example using ipp://192.168.2.12:631/printers/HP-Deskjet-F4200-series worked. Thank you

PeteAir

shared linux printer

#5 Post by PeteAir »

rcrsn51 , I know this is an old thread but after reading 60 to 100 pages of how to YOUR WAY worked
thank you