generic wifi card working in 2.12

SnowDog

generic wifi card working in 2.12

#1 Post by SnowDog »

I'm posting via a generic 802.11g wifi card on a dell cpt laptop.
There's no name on the box, or in/on the cd that comes with them.
the xp driver is called MRV8KNT.inf. (anayone know what that is?)

I tried to get a netgear wg111 going, but it told me my drivers were no good.
Then I read thata maybe I needed something else, so I d/l'd net-setup-2.12-3-puppy and tried again, but it still says my driver is junk.
So I just took a shot in the dark and plugged this pcmcia one in, ran the network wizard and sent ndiswrapper looking for the xp drivers and voila.
I haven't rebooted yet, when I do, if it fails I'll hunt some more.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

laptopnewbee

#2 Post by laptopnewbee »

I tried to get a netgear wg111 going, but it told me my drivers were no good.
is that an atheros chipset? if so i have had good luck using the win98 drivers, but there is a special step before inserting them into ndiswrapper.

i was going to give a link to a post where i gave the instructions, but the search function for the forum seems to be down at the time i am posting this.

first navigate to the folder with the win98 drivers (ether on the cd, or copied to your hdd from the cd), and open xtrem there. if there is a .cat file there we should be good, then take the actions below:

Code: Select all

source <filename.cat>
ndiswrapper -i <filename.inf>
ndiswrapper -l
modeprobe ndiswrapper
the third step is to verify that the drivers actually did get inserted into ndiswrapper, and the 'l' is a lower case 'L'
so much to learn, so late a start.

SnowDog

#3 Post by SnowDog »

Hi laptopnewbee,
Thanks for the response.
I don't know what chipset the wg111 is, I thought I read somewhere that it was realtek.
I have tried the win98 drivers as well, but I don't recall any of the ones I d/l'd having a .cat file, but rather only .inf and .sys files.
I made a help post about these, where I indicated that these are refurb'ed adapters, so I have no cd of original drivers for them.
I have scoured the web and followed all instructions found in many linux forums, but to no avail so far.
I think I'm either missing a step or I just haven't found the right drivers yet.
Thanks again though... If I find a .cat, I'll try what you said.
Cheers
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.