HDMI audio from Intel NUC to LG smart TV not working<Closed>

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

HDMI audio from Intel NUC to LG smart TV not working<Closed>

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I am having a problem with getting HDMI audio. I get no sound using FATDOG7+ and Just-LightHouse64-603. Using JLH, I open Alsa mixer from the Menu>Multimedia> and it shows the correct sound card (HDMI), but there are NO Sliders for controlling the audio.

Questions
  • Has anyone had any experiences achieving audio over HDMI on either of these distros? If so, what did you do?
Please advise.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 17:22, edited 2 times in total.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

If given multiple HDMI choices select the last one seems to work for me. also VLC can work independent of audio settings so You could play samples with VLC tell you hit the right one. Also the payback device could not decode audio because of royalty issues ( most offical codecs are for a price ) change to some open sources like ogg and use as sample.
Supported playback ( audio and video ) are listed in most menus under the open source notices subsection.

gcmartin

How to isolate no sound over HDMI from PC unit

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Ran into this with FD7 and thought to raise the flag asking for assistance outside of that thread: Hoping that others have seen and addressed this.

The Intel NUC is a unit which does NOT have any audio plugs or video other than the HDMI out to a monitor (TV). Video is fine, but, no sound and NO selections in alsamixer.

I suspect that this is a driver issue and maybe someone/anyone knows how to expose this problem for resolution.

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

I use it all the time when in the caravan.

Open control panel.
Select Sound tab
Double click on 'Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card'
Then choose HDMI

Gobbi

#5 Post by Gobbi »

For HDMI , after choosing the corect sound card , I RestartX and then go to Alsamixer and unmute the channel by pressing 'm' button . There are no sliders . In the previous versions I had to unmute at every boot ( no savefile ) , but in FD700 I took advice from one of the @Billtoo's post and did in the terminal : alsamixer then alsactl store and it became persistent ( still no savefile ) after a Remaster .

In Alsamixer , using F6 it should appear a list of sound cards - in NUC's case maybe only one ... If there is no one , then Alsamixer doesn't see any ...

A few years ago , when I started to use HDMI from my Radeon card , @kirk advised me to put in the kernel line radeon.audio=1 because , by default , the audio was not started for radeon module. Maybe it's something similar for intel audio module , if anything above does not help .

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Sorry for this delay. I ran short on time, and I had to release the NUC to its owner after setup of Win8.1 and Win10. Windows has all the drivers, built in, for OOTB NUC discovery, setup, and operation. Under Windows, the NUC has video and sound as is expected when using a TV. The only issue I ran into is in the timeout controls and settings to control the monitor spring-back after a sleep.

I want to thank both of you for your advice to help. My aim was to also deliver a PUP in the boot menu, but, time did NOT permit me to do so and have all of the PUP testing completed.

THANKS!!! :!: