Various Puppys: sound not initializing at startup

Please post any bugs you have found
VJPasq

Various Puppys: sound not initializing at startup

#1 Post by VJPasq »

I am new to Puppy and am using an older HP laptop PIII. I have done separate full installs to hard drive with the latest versions of Wary and Lucid, one at a time, and have the same problem with both.
Sound does not work at start up with the full install to the hard drive. Sound will start working fine only if I open the mixer and uncheck and recheck PCM. Then it pops on.
Any changes I make in the mixer seem to be saved when I reboot but I have to do this every time I start up the computer for sound to work. Clicking on the master volume even without changing it sometimes brings the volume back on one channel. To get both right and left speakers working I have to uncheck and recheck the PCM option. It can vary but it's always some combination of clicking on these options in the mixer to get things working. They do not show up as muted and they are checked and turned up.
I don't get the start up sound with the full installs, however, I do get the start up sound when I just boot from the CD.
Thank you in advance for any help with this problem.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, VJPasq.

Welcome to the kennels! (Since this appears to be your first post!) :)

I've never done a full install of any Puppy. But I've had my share of sound
problems with them.

Does your Puppy think the computer has multiple sound cards when the
computer has only one? You could then replace the default multiple-sound-
card wizard with Geoffrey's. (Back with the URL in a little while).

Try to check if the Puppy creates sound configuration files in /etc or /root
when you enter the specifics. Then you could tuck these away in a safe
directory and and have a script re-copy them to the proper place at boot
time (instead of re-entering the specifics all the time).

I know it's not much, but best I can do for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

VJPasq

#3 Post by VJPasq »

Thank you for the speedy reply; I very much appreciate your help and your time!
I found a post somewhere about the multiple sound card thing, something about sound not working if there is a corrupt asound.conf file, which it said was not needed unless there are multiple sound cards. That post fixed another person's issue with sound not working at all. I tried removing that file and rebooting but it had no effect. I tried the sound wizard, and it seemed to work with the sample sound, but again, after rebooting, it was no longer working until clicking mixer settings. I also tried making a startup script that would make those sound card settings from the command line (new at this, so not sure if I was doing it correctly). That did seem to adjust the volume and PCM setting to what I told it to do in the script, but I still had to click around the mixer to get the sound to "kick in". I have since reinstalled everything, so if I messed that up, it's no longer in the equation. I thought maybe it was the media player itself, but it happens with the DVD player, the CD player, and no startup sound.
Which configuration files should I be looking for? I'm pretty sure I saw them in one of the directories (not on that computer right now, but I can go check). Changes I make to volume are saved when I shut down and restart, so I think they are being saved somewhere. I have a feeling something, somewhere is resetting the actual settings to "zero" or "off" at startup without it showing in the mixer, and when I click setting in the mixer, it sets them properly or turns them back on. In other words, I don't think it's initially set a certain way and not saving my changes and always going back to that state. If volume is at 80 and I reboot, it starts up at 80. If I change it to 50 and reboot, it starts up at 50.
After the little workaround, the sound works just fine with no further problems observed until restarting the computer.
Thank you again, and please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.

VJPasq

#4 Post by VJPasq »

A little more information:
I reinstalled Wary, full install to hard drive. I have a file called asound.state that seems to be the file involved in this in /etc directory.
I have no sound when I start up. When I go to the mixer and uncheck and then recheck master volume, I get sound from one speaker. When I then uncheck and recheck PCM, I get sound from both speakers. This is the order that seems to work most reliably.
Reboot and back to no sound. Problem is reproducible every time.
Not sure if this is important but sound worked on its own on first reboot from hard drive after installation only. Second reboot after installing and beyond, no sound. Thank you again.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

the latest versions of Wary and Lucid,
For Lucid I assume you are using one of the versions from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Which version are you using?

First try the sound info here:
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

VJPasq

#6 Post by VJPasq »

I was using Lucid 5.2.8 from the LTS section of the Puppy site.
I deleted it and reinstalled Wary 5.5 from the same place.
Identical problem and behavior with both.
I've played with all the mixer settings, sound wizard, etc. as described in that link. Reboot leads to no sound or barely audible sound until checking and unchecking master volume and PCM in the mixer.

VJPasq

#7 Post by VJPasq »

Correction: I meant "unchecking and rechecking" master volume and PCM in the mixer.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 528 was updated and bug fixed to version 528.005.
If not using version 528.005, that could cause problems.

Try a version of Lucid from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
Lupu main or
Lupusuper2 would be good to try.

If you are doing full installs of Puppy.
Are you starting with a clean newly formatted partition to install to?
I would use ext 3 format.

This could be a timing issue.
The audio hardware not fully operational by the time Puppy is fully booted.
Cd booting is a little slower than hard drive boots.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

VJPasq

#9 Post by VJPasq »

I do a clean install each time, using gparted to delete the only partition and create a new one. I tried ext3 and ext2 with no difference in the sound problem.

The timing issue makes sense.

I'll try one of the versions you suggested and report back.

VJPasq

#10 Post by VJPasq »

I just realized when I went back to my download folder and saw the iso file that I was using version lupu-528.005 already.

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

Make sure you do a clean shutdown !

At shutdown the file /etc/asound.state gets saved by running
/etc/init.d/[10_]alsa stop

And reloaded at boot by
/etc/init.d/[10_]alsa start .

And make sure that there is only one *alsa* init script is executable .

A hard poweroff or broken shutdown will not save settings to /etc/asound.state .

You may try to do it manually as it is written therein :

Code: Select all

#saves to /etc/asound.state. 111229 add test file exists. 120222 revert. 120223 restore.
  [ -f /etc/asound.state ] && alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store
else

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore 

Ah, and in installs other than full install PUPMODE 2, aufs whiteout files may prevent that this file can be written to .
To know your PUPMODE :

cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P