These distros do EVERYTHING that a Microsoft/Apple PC does!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

LHP 64 cannot load packages ?

#21 Post by Pelo »

LHP 64 cannot load packages ? even if i download a package from yr proposal, for instance Pupnapshot, that's freeze all the machine. I cannot shutdown like if the computer was working ?
I am used to LHP503, But i would like the use the newer version for 64 bits.
Have you an explanation and a solution ?
Many thanks For help

Pelo

I was here, so i read yr remarks

#22 Post by Pelo »

I am looking for a distro which does not do always the same as others i.e Office, graphics, multimedia but would touch men at work, non at leasure time.
Planner, sales, purchasing, overhaul, stores management. You see what I mean ? We are on this project in french forum.

Utopiste ? Perhaps no.

Please tell me why my LHP freezes when loading packages . Merci beaucoup.

gcmartin

You should probably post your 2 post at the LH64 Forum

#23 Post by gcmartin »

To get much more attention I recommend you post your LH64 problem there. I will reply there, along with everyone else,. to try andtro assist you.

Here to help

tallboy

#24 Post by tallboy »

From http://www.lhpup.org/:
TaZoc wrote:2013.02.04 Lighthouse64 5.15 Final was released last Oct 30th. I suffered a relapse shortly thereafter, similar to last winter, but not as severe. I'm doing a little better now and am working toward a new release of LH64 with significant core updates, (kernel, glibc, Xorg, etc.) as well as updated Xfce and KDE add-on packs.
tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

Big warm hug to TaZoc
but it is very wrong to say that

These distros do EVERYTHING that a Microsoft/Apple PC does!
They do not!

They don't do SonyEricson Smartphone update because
you need Microsoft todo that.

They don't do MakeHuman AFAIK. http://www.makehuman.org/

You either need Microsoft or Ubuntu or Debian full install to do it.

I've heard of no frugal install of Puppy that can do that program
so your title lies.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

This thread has existed for about a year. TaZoC Lighthouse 64 hit the streets long before that consider the testing some of us worked with him on. What Tazoc did was to add a version of LAN sharing such that a 6 year protocol would be present in LightHouse64. 01Micko FATSlacko was the 32bit version which hit the streets in Puppyland in April which mimic'ed the same need.

The addition of this one primary subsystem along with all the changes that the kernel brings to those distros, elevated them to be LAN participants where any LAN devices that would/could interoperate with Microsoft and Apple could interoperate with Puppy Linux in exactly the same way at the protocol level.

I know that you often refer that things are too complex, but I hope this isnt.

Lastly, for years, the developers of this community have create products, PETS, SFSs, and the like such that Barry could assemble those subsystems into WOOF with a packaging that generates a non-LAN compliant desktop where equal functionality results in a Puppy to match OOTB functionality that comes with Microsoft and Apple.

But, to, as you attempt to change the meaning of the title to your personal translation and to discount the value of the information to the common reason, you may want to reconsider. Respectfully said.

Puppy at its base OOTB desktop and with the addition of LAN services that directly matches the other OS provides an OOTB distro that does EVERYTHING the other distros do, OOTB as of say Windows Vista. (I believe that this community brings to the table a quality product)

Lastly, TaZoC includes the Wine subsystem as a technology that can be employed to adapt Microsoft products to LihgtHouse64. I am not a user of Wine, but judging from the forum, there are many users who are versed in Wine. You raise a concern of yours in such a way that I think you have a need for those services. I am sure that if you ask the many Puppy threads where WINE has shown up, you will find that someone of the community has addressed that. In fact, I also have a SMART devices and I would benefit should they show up in Puppyland either as a direct subsystem or as a Wine delivered subsystem. I will follow your lead on that.

Peace consider the edit that has been added to the opening thread. I hope it provides some better insight into why this thread was presented for community benefit.

Three is no LIE! But to be honest, if you want to translate the Title that way you can. In fact, you can translate almost ANY title or sentence in such a way as to consider it a LIE....Right??? In some countries, to do so is a method used to twist the truth by taking a sentence, any one sentence, out of context.

Here to help

michel804

#27 Post by michel804 »

Hello Pup users!
I have been a long-time user of Puppy Linux (especially LHP 5.03). However, I have been a little bit on the quiet side...I have been very pleased with that version of LHP. Also, it's been on my mind to make some contribution to Lighthouse Pup project in particular BUT the demands on life have often kept me away from making that investment. I really would like to make use of my background in Computer Science...

BTW, I am reading this thread for the first time today

Michel
================================================
Unless the LORD builds, those who build the house build in vain.

ciento

#28 Post by ciento »

Hi, I would start a new thread, stating desire to help, your skills, areas of interest, and man-hours per month that you can share without burning out.

Pin numbers, would also be cool, 8) but not a requirement :wink:
Cheers

mikeslr

Life is what happens while you're planning something else

#29 Post by mikeslr »

Hi michel804,

It's always good to see that someone with technical skills desires to contribute. Wish I had them. :(

First suggestion: just do it. I've been planning to start a blog for 10 years. I'm still planning. Do as I say, not as I do. :)

Second suggestion. Peruse the forum and find some problem you can work on. If you look, you'll find them.

Among them >

Lighthouse: Dry Fall has done a masterful job or revitalizing LH as "Just Light House". You'll find the "Final" thread here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 991#849991, but also check out its development thread. While the technical accomplishment is masterful, the GUI is less so. Perhaps its not exciting, but someone who understands what each of its "Bells and Whistles" do and how they do it might provide a explanation and a "How to turn them off, or configure them." As is, the desktop is busy and confusing.

TahrPup64: Ubuntu stands in the forefront as a source for woofing Pups. If you check the Tahrpup64 thread, you'll find several technical problems and, if I recall correctly, 666philb as asked for help. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 717#812717

Debian: Because Ubuntu, itself, is designed to provide a rich user interface, it includes much of what in Puppy is considered "bloat". Consequently, it was argued several years ago that debian might be the best source for woofing Pups. Pemasu used to build debian based Pups. But now, when he has the time, he devotes it to improving woof. Saintless has published a couple of "Pup-like" distros based on debian-live: consequently, they handle slightly different than Pups. And none of them are 64-bit. The only 64-bit debian is stemsee's EmSee-Ultra-etc.iso 18-05-15, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 902#836500 which is hard to acquire, and no longer being developed. I've just started playing with it. Stemsee included some interesting innovations. But the Pup has some "rough edges."

If you have a Windows 8/8.1 or 10 computer, the entire "UEFI" problem. See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 159#858159. My guess is that roughly 85% of future computers manufactured will be UEFI without any way to turn off "Secure boot." Consequently, 85% of those who may be interested in running Pups in the future will have to do so from such computers. When you and I started using Pups, it was easy to boot them from any media on any computer. The real technical challenge will be to facilitate that on UEFI computers.

Associated with the above problem is that Grub4dos --the easiest way to set up a boot menu to Multi-boot-- doesn't work with UEFI computers.

There are many technical problems which can benefit from your expertise and time.

mikesLr

Dry Falls

Re: Life is what happens while you're planning something else

#30 Post by Dry Falls »

mikeslr wrote:As is, the desktop is busy and confusing.
Here's a little ditty to give JL64-603 a more traditional puppy look. Just extract the archive and click the shell script.
Attachments
lhp-config.tar.gz
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Dry Falls

#31 Post by Dry Falls »

Same as a pet. Has the advantage of uninstalling via ppm.
Attachments
lhp-config.pet
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 129 times