How to update hosts file dynamically?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bushbuck

How to update hosts file dynamically?

#1 Post by Bushbuck »

I use a "hosts" file to block popups etc, but recently I wanted to relax the rules temporarily, to allow through a site (waterhole webcam) that has adverts.

Not surprisingly, just editing "hosts" didn't take effect -- it appears to be (efficiently) cached somewhere in memory.

What process or service would I have to stop and start, to make the system re-read the hosts file, or does this require a reboot?

Using Tahr Puppy 6.02.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, bushbuck.

Do you mean that putting a number sign ("#") in front of the url line you want to allow
didn't work? That's how I do it, and it works for me every time. It's immediate, too, you
don't have to reboot your computer or restart your browser.

I don't know exactly how the hosts process works, but I don't think anything is stored in
RAM or at a secondary location in your Puppy. I think the hosts file is read (directly or
indirectly), where it is at /etc/hosts, by the browser, every time, before it tries to access
an outside URL.

I hope this helps. Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Bushbuck

#3 Post by Bushbuck »

Yes, putting the # didn't seem to work.
musher0 wrote:I think the hosts file is read (directly or
indirectly), where it is at /etc/hosts, by the browser, every time, before it tries to access
an outside URL.
Thanks, musher... maybe the browser (Pale Moon 24) is doing something weird, then. I'll experiment some more.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

If you have additional ad blockers such as ghostery and ad-block, maybe they have
caches in RAM and delay things. Try de-activating them. (Just working with the hosts
file -- as a test.)

I noticed that you need only one blocker. Two is overkill. Problem is no one blocker
blocks everything you want blocked.

Your puppy should have a "Puppy ad-blocker" entry in the Internet sub-menu. Have
you tried it? What it does is, It creates a maxi hosts file from various reliable sources.
With it, you don't need ghostery, etc. Easier to edit, too, since it's on your machine at /
etc/hosts.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Bushbuck

#5 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks for the explanation, musher.

I've been using the manually installed hosts file, just because I knew how to do it that way, and getting the list from the MSVP site. I prefer the hosts method anyway, because I can see how it works. I don't have any other blockers installed.

I'll give the combined hosts in the menu a shot -- can't hurt to add a few more pests to the list.

Meanwhile, it turned out the waterhole webcams also broadcast on Youtube, and seemed to get through OK:
https://www.youtube.com/user/WildEarthMedia

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

no hosts.allow file in your linux?

Bushbuck

#7 Post by Bushbuck »

Ted Dog wrote:no hosts.allow file in your linux?
Yes, there is -- it says
ALL: LOCAL

Isn't that about who gets to see my system, or am I not understanding it?