Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 16:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to create desktop icons?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Z2C

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 17:12    Post subject:  How to create desktop icons?  

I have searched through the Puppy documentation but no clear answer as how to place menu listings as icons on desktop. Am running an hp zt3000 so looking for a distro for old machines. Have been out of Linux for about 15 years and trying to catch back up. Gparted the hd and installed 2.5.8 no problem. Also like the Flash drive option.
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 17:28    Post subject:  

One way to create icons is to drag and drop with Rox file manager.
Maneuver to the directory where the executable file is and drag it to the desktop.

I do not care much for Rox but it is essential to puppy.
I prefer the XFE file eplorer, much like the win9x file manager.

Almost forgot, Welcome to the forum!
Sylvander

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 17:38    Post subject: Re: New to Puppy Please point me to how to create desktop icons  

Z2C wrote:
Also like the Flash drive option.

How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using ISObooter
I tried this, and it worked really well at 1st attempt.
I included 2 iso files; one was a Puppy, the other "Comodo Rescue Disc", so I'm given the choice of which to load.
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 17:51    Post subject:  

Did you write you installed puppy 2.5.8?
Did you mean 5.2.8?

Looking up the specs on your laptop says 1.4 - 1.7Ghz processor and up to 2GB of memory. I have been using Puppy Precise 5.7.1 on this old dell with similar specs (1.6Ghz, 2GB) and it runs nice and quick.

If you are using 5.2.8, that should be good too.
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 18:00    Post subject:  

The files that contain the icons for the desktop are in /usr/shared/applications. Like the prior poster just said, you can just drag them to the desktop to create shortcuts. Then right click on the new icon, choose edit, and clean up the label.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 19:51    Post subject:  

Hi, Z2C. Welcome to the forums.

I concur with dancytron in his previous post. Another trick you can do with icons, if you feel you'd like something different to the standard one, is to do what I do.

If you install a new app, and want to 'personalise' the icon a bit more after you've dragged the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications, what you can do is to Google 'png icons for xxxxx' (insert name of app).....and see what you can find. Png images work best for this kind of thing, as they have 'built-in' transparency; in other words, just the image itself shows.....it won't come up with a 'box' round it, with a different coloured background. It will blend in better with your desktop's wallpaper.

I have an entire library of these icons I've built up over the last couple of years. Best to go for anywhere between 256 x 256 and 512 x 512. Puppy will automatically resize this to 48 x 48 for an icon image, once you set it by right-clicking on your existing icon, and choosing 'File xxxxx', then 'Set Icon'. Simply drag & drop your new icon across to the small box that will appear, and hey presto! Done.

The larger the original image, the sharper the detail when Puppy re-sizes it.But; my idea of 'personalization' won't be to everybody's taste..... Wink

Regards,

Mike. Smile

Here's a demo of what I mean; these are my Tahrpup 6.03 desktop's icons:-
Screen 3.jpg
Description  Desktop...
jpg

Download 
Filename  Screen 3.jpg 
Filesize  187.09 KB 
Downloaded  166 Time(s) 
Screen 1.jpg
 Description   Top icons...
 Filesize   60.99 KB
 Viewed   924 Time(s)

Screen 1.jpg

Screen 2.jpg
 Description   Bottom right
 Filesize   24.77 KB
 Viewed   904 Time(s)

Screen 2.jpg

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:45    Post subject: Re: New to Puppy Please point me to how to create desktop icons  

Z2C wrote:
I have searched through the Puppy documentation but no clear answer as how to place menu listings as icons on desktop
Menu listing and desktop belong to JWM and ROX, 2 separate applications that unfortunately don't cooperate well. You can't create a desktop icon from a menu item by way of context menu or dragging the menu item to the desktop.

The only practical way is what perdido proposed: Find the executable in ROX File manager and drag it to the desktop.
That's easier said than done since the menu doesn't give you the exact name, let alone the location of the executable. You might have to search for the name in the menu file /root/.jwmrc. With the name you can use the which command to find the full path. Sounds complicated? It is.

As for creating icons by dragging .desktop files from /usr/shared/applications: I can't recommend that. You will create a link to a link (the .desktop file) instead of a link to the executable. May work, but carries restrictions. You can't use the application's command line arguments in such a desktop icon. And besides: Not all menu items correspond to a .desktop file in /usr/shared/applications.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:29    Post subject: Re: New to Puppy Please point me to how to create desktop icons  

MochiMoppel wrote:
As for creating icons by dragging .desktop files from /usr/shared/applications: I can't recommend that. You will create a link to a link (the .desktop file) instead of a link to the executable. May work, but carries restrictions. You can't use the application's command line arguments in such a desktop icon. And besides: Not all menu items correspond to a .desktop file in /usr/shared/applications.

Agreed. It's the easiest way for newcomers to get an icon on the desktop which will act as a 'launcher', but, as you say, it carries restrictions.

Personally, I usually hunt up the executable in /usr/bin, or /opt/xxxxx.....wherever it happens to be. This gets dragged to the desktop, then edited, and tarted up with a custom icon. It's the way I've done it for quite some time now.

I suspect the OP may be thinking of XFCE, where you can indeed click on a menu item, and choose whether to place its launcher in the panel, or on the desktop.

Regards,

Mike.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug 2015, 05:42    Post subject: Re: New to Puppy Please point me to how to create desktop icons  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Personally, I usually hunt up the executable in /usr/bin, or /opt/xxxxx.....wherever it happens to be.
But staring at the menu that says Linux-Firewall firewall or Puppy Package Manager or Help, how would you hunt up the executables and where? How would you know that the executables are called rxvt, pkg_chooser.sh and defaulthtmlviewer? Even knowing that wouldn't necessarily help you to create a desktop icon Crying or Very sad
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: