Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 17:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Java JDK and JRE
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2015, 10:01    Post subject:  

I'd have gone with a current build.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/jre-8u51-i586.sfs

Or this, one step behind:

http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/sfs/jre-1.8u45-i586.sfs

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2015, 15:22    Post subject: Timing is a Perfect Storm  

This thread is addressing the needs of community users in todays world where a need for an JAVA has been ever increasing. With the changes that exist today versus when PUPPY started, allows for adding helpful subsystems no one was willing to in the past because of ISO size. Today, much has changed and this subsystem allows PUPPY Linux a whole range of application that can run OOTB if JAVA was a part of the PUPPY base.

I applaud @Rerwin for his suggestion of a PET for WOOFCE use so that distro builders would have this available in future PUPs they generate for community use. And, correspondingly, I applaud @OscarTalks. @Musher0 and @Semme for providing some foundations to support this.

There are 4 little things mentioned that I think makes sensible steps, much of which has already been undertaken, but, not made formal:
  • A formal PUPPY approach to JAVA, both JRE and JDK library structures, which actually should be the same for both elements
  • Asking community members to assist such that we get it right
  • A utility which may/maynot be needed to afford upgrades under user control
  • WOOFCE embrace
As many members are already aware, @BarryK intends to package a "PUPPY" (used loosely) Developers Edition where JDK, possibly eClipse (fingers crossed), APK and other items to allow anyone wanting to use his PUP to build PUPPY or Android apps can do.

That being said, we/you MUST make @BarryK aware so that his efforts and the work being suggested here, MATCH!. In his doing so, his library structure should match (or our lib structure should match) so that all work done reduces developer and user support efforts/needs in having JAVA in there systems. One installation, no matter which PUPPY distro would be the same everywhere.

This effort and the work of BarryK constitute the making of simultaneous efforts that hoping will meet, together, in the end.

Thus,a 'win-win' for all.

SmartDuck

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul 2015, 06:38    Post subject:  

Semme, I choose to 1.7 package because I know it works with my software and Eclipse Indigo (3.8 ) or Juno (4.2). The later Eclipse versions do not support JavaME.
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul 2015, 08:03    Post subject:  

Then the most current 7build is here, not Shino's pkg.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 20:59    Post subject: java-sfs project working materials  

I collected the names of files and links needed to support insertion of a Java JRE directory into a Puppy, from looking at several implementations of an SFS file. I created these lists:
    Files provided by various implementation, by developer
    Integrated list of files for an implementation
    Consolidated instructions for adding files and links
The instructions are for a direct expansion of a JRE download tarball into a specific directory. Although it should be possible to produce a working Java implementation from those instructions, I have not actually tried them. If anyone does, please tell me of any errors or omissions in the instructions.

I am using the instructions to create my desired implementation of Puppies that can handle a tarball expanded into any of several destination directories - /usr/local, /opt and others that have been used. The tarball could be in an SFS file or pet; the supporting files and links are in a pet intended for woof-CE as part of a Puppy.

The components will be:
    - A profile code segment file to determine whether a JRE or JDK is installed and set environment variables and links to the detected directory
    - An initialization script to create or remove links for java icons
    - Default application script files that run java apps if present, xarchive if not.
    - A script to run the profile and initialization scripts for use when a JRE/JDK tarball is added/ changed or removed
    - A script to assist with the download process and generate an SFS or pet package
    - desktop files to produce menu entries
I am essentilly merging the techniques used by shinobar (& ubuntu) and Uten, with enhancements from others.

In case anyone wants to check my work, I am attaching the lists I created.

Here are links to the postings used to form the design:
Install_Java_in_Puppy_Linux-20150801.txt.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  Install_Java_in_Puppy_Linux-20150801.txt.gz 
Filesize  2.46 KB 
Downloaded  130 Time(s) 
jre-sfs-file_list_by_source-20150801.txt.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  jre-sfs-file_list_by_source-20150801.txt.gz 
Filesize  930 Bytes 
Downloaded  125 Time(s) 
jre-sfs-file_list_integrated-20150801.txt.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  jre-sfs-file_list_integrated-20150801.txt.gz 
Filesize  779 Bytes 
Downloaded  120 Time(s) 
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2015, 13:22    Post subject: get_java - Jave JRE downloader, SFS file maker and loader!  

Attached is the result of my combining parts of 01micko's get_libreoffice and and uten's sfs-java.sh scripts to form get_java. The former set provides the RAM/HD requirement determination and the sfs load part. Uten's is everything else except my user input function.

The package also includes a profile code file and initialization script intended to become part of puppy and independent of the SFS files, which need contain only the Oracle JRE components. Those scripts also support JDK SFS files, although get_java itself does not currently build them. They also support JRE SFS packages created my other means, including shinobar's and OscarTalks' SFS files and those built from uten's sfs-java.sh. The profile code detects the jre1... directory if present in /opt, /usr/java, /usr/local or /usr/local/java. (Those are the places I am aware of, although I can add more if there are any.) Although the scripts will override any in an SFS file, JRE pet installations containing their own profile or init script may interfere with them -- unless they are installed before installing get_java.

The user is given the options of downloading either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the latest JRE, as well as building from already downloaded archive (tarball) files. Get_java looks for those files in /tmp, /root and /mnt/home, up to one subdirectory level deep.

Once the SFS file is built, the option of loading it immediately is offered. If the file is loaded, the supporting linkages are put in place, making the new JRE ready for use immediately. Otherwise, the links are added at the bootup following loading by the BootManager or sfs_load.

Feedback very welcome.
Richard

EDIT: I replaced the package after the first download, to add the automatic link installation and remove an extra file. Also added detection of Barry's jdk location.
get_java-20150817-beta.pet
Description  Java JRE downloader, SFS builder and loader
Puppy JRE automatic setup
pet

Download 
Filename  get_java-20150817-beta.pet 
Filesize  13.56 KB 
Downloaded  138 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 15:56; edited 2 times in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2015, 23:13    Post subject:  

Hi, in Appril (Quirky), I placed the JDK at /opt/jdk. It is the whole thing, as downloaded from Oracle, just copied as-is to /opt/jdk.

Quirky does not use SFSs, so it is a PET package.

I'm away from home right now, so can't check, but in the PET I did set a couple of environment variables in /etc/profile.d/jdk, I think one was JAVA_HOME.
Um, will have to check, but think also added to the PATH variable, so bin/java is in the path.

Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: