Jerky browsing with new firefox 40.0 in old puppies

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
watchdog

Jerky browsing with new firefox 40.0 in old puppies

#1 Post by watchdog »

I have been using old puppies like puppy 4.31 and wary with glibc upgrade to run the latest firefox. I'm experiencing a jerky browsing with the new releases of firefox in these old puppies with my hardware. Perhaps should I use a more recent puppy? Now I'm using tahr 6.03 and firefox 40.0 is ok with it. I got aware that old puppies need old browser. Or not?

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

I made successfully portable latest firefox and seamonkey releases (that aren't able to run in older puppies like 3.01, natively) with the help of CDE without the hazardous glibc upgrade (potentially dangerous in puppy 3.01)

on my puppy machine

HP D530 cmt
processor 2,66 Ghz
2 GB RAM

(it is a 2004 computer)

browsing it is sensibly slower compared to older seamonkey and firefox releases

it is a fault of programmers that don't mind older hardware and are acting like Micro$hit that force hardware upgrade to do the same thing

apart this, newer seamonkey and firefox releases needs to be tweaked disabling the webrtc, for instance

http://www.myce.com/news/vpn-users-on-c ... rtc-74727/

acting on about:config registry

do you have tried QtWeb? (3.8.4 build 104 is the latest working fine in older puppies since 3.7.x branch of QtWeb no longer works for some sites like facebook or ebay)

download from here:
http://www.massmirror.com/55d07cd9a218f
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Dingo wrote: it is a fault of programmers that don't mind older hardware and are acting like Micro$hit that force hardware upgrade to do the same thing
It's not only a hardware compatibility but a software compatibility, too. On the same machine I use old and new puppies: in old puppies firefox is jerky.
apart this, newer seamonkey and firefox releases needs to be tweaked disabling the webrtc, for instance
I will try.
Yes, I did some experiments with qtweb. But jumping from a puppy to another I want to use the same portable browser in /mnt/home and I stuck on firefox until now. I'll newly try qtweb in old puppies: wanted a simple way to import-export bookmarks at every bootup-shutdown.

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

I use FF 40.0 in an old PC with 1.2GHz P4 running a live CD LupuPlus 5.2.8, and I have not experienced any such problems. On the other hand, I have turned off all automatic updates of any kind, they seem to delay actions and make things jerky.
I have installed the following extensions, also with auto updates off:
NO Google Analytics 06.1-signed
Disable Hello, Pocket &Reader+ 0.2.2
Clean Links 2.7.1-signed
Tabs on bottom

The Disable Hello, Pocket &Reader+ turn off Pocket, Reader, Hello and WebRTC bloatware, but they can separately be reenabled in it's prefs.

Toggled in about:config
browser.urlbar.trimURLs;true          removes http in urlbar, set to false
browser.chrome.site_icons;true     set to false to remove icons from urlbar

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

greengeek

Re: Jerky browsing with new firefox 40.0 in old puppies

#5 Post by greengeek »

watchdog wrote: I'm experiencing a jerky browsing with the new releases of firefox in these old puppies with my hardware.
Does the jerkiness continue even after installing adblock or similar to temporarily block flash?

watchdog

Re: Jerky browsing with new firefox 40.0 in old puppies

#6 Post by watchdog »

greengeek wrote:Does the jerkiness continue even after installing adblock or similar to temporarily block flash?
I have pup-advert blocker in /etc/hosts and uBlock and noScript as extensions. Flash enabled only at need. I think the culprit should be webrtc but I'm now using more recent puppies.

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

I solved my problems about jerky browsing with firefox > 38.0.5 in old puppies such as wary 5.5 and puppy 4.31 (with glibc and libstdc upgrade) by switching to palemoon: the last release installed in /mnt/home which I use with the same profile for 32 and 64 bit by a symlink is wonderful in wary.

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

What are you browsing for? All those thumbnails and saved browsing pages slow things down.....

I have a script that cleans that junk out. Let me know if you need it.

How do you know?

If you go into Roxfiler and left click on the eye, it will show hidden files.

Go to /root/.cache all that stuff could slow you down....

also /root/.thumbnails

Could be other spots, too.