2.13 Beta bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
MU

#41 Post by MU »

In Muppy, I replaced rxvt with a wrapper to run xterm.
It should take care of the issue Pakt mentions:

/usr/bin/rxvt

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/puppybasic

i=3
  args=""
  while command(i) !=""
  a=command(i)
  if instr(a," ") then
    a="\"" & a & "\""
  end if
  args &= a & " "
  i+=1
  wend
  args=trim(args)

'print args

args = replace(args,  "--geometry" , "-geometry" )

'print args

shell("exec /usr/bin/rxvt-xterm/rxvt " & args)
You must put "your" rxvt-binary in the last comand.

Mark

pakt

#42 Post by pakt »

I just deleted the rxvt wrapper in pup_213.sfs and replaced it with an rxvt binary from an earlier Puppy using Pizzasgood's Edit-SFS ;)

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

sml

#43 Post by sml »

Could the et131x Agere ethernet driver be complied into the kernel as a module? I think it is a kernel config option now?
Last edited by sml on Thu 28 Dec 2006, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#44 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote:Hmm, I wonder if we should change the "drives" icon on the desktop to use Pmount, as MUT is not really being maintained.
In Pmount, a ROX window open on a partition that is to be unmounted is first closed before the unmount.
A lot of people like MUT. As long as it is there on the menu, they are accommodated. IMHO we have to use as default what works and is known to work. In the case of the Rox update, it makes sense to change to Pmount as default desktop icon. I never use pmount because MUT is the default and has worked for me (up to now).

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ferikenagy

freezing ROX in /proc and icon& background dissapear

#45 Post by ferikenagy »

about ROX 2.5 bug: freeze on /proc, with thumbnails on, after some research it appears to me it is not an ROX bug! in /proc directory only "kmsg" file cannot be open (no cat,more...) and cannot be copy part of it with "dd if=/proc/kmsg... so it is obvious it cannot be accessed (opened) in a normal way. There was a discussion in forum how is recognized the file type in windows (after the name of file extension ) and in linux (after rhe first bytes in file ,an sort of magic number, use of 'file' command ) and the old ROX used the windows style after the file extension name .
It seems that new ROX 2.5 is upgrade to recognize the file type in linux manner by opening and reading the beginning of file , and because '/proc/kmsg' cannot be opened it is waiting (like dd if=/proc/kmsg..)in an endless loop which freeze ROX....So until now evrything is ok with ROX (not with /proc/kmsg), there is another little bug in it (no related with kmsg): if you try to 'kill' ANY rox windows (from right klick on menubar) it will kill also the background ROX the pinboard with descktop background image and descktop icons too...
Somebody should verify my theory...who knew ROX how works internally....
"cat /proc/kmsg" and "dd if=/proc/kmsg..." are stucked but "file /proc/kmsg" reports "/proc/kmsg: empty" interesting!

about MUT/Pmount both are ok, am used with MUT you can manually unmount SWAP too...

John Doe

#46 Post by John Doe »

I like that "open with rox" button in MUT. That's the only thing I would miss with PMount. I have no preference other than that.

pakt

#47 Post by pakt »

I've been using pmount lately instead of MUT and I agree, it's the 'open with ROX' button I miss.

I also find myself having to think twice whether 'red' or 'green' means 'mount' or 'unmount' (I realize that when a drive is mounted, details show up to the left).

However, MUT's use of 'mount' and 'unmount' can't be much clearer.

Paul

EDIT: I'm no graphics artist, but how about modifying the icons something like this
Attachments
pmount_icons.jpg
(15.18 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times
Last edited by pakt on Thu 28 Dec 2006, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

debernardis

bump

#48 Post by debernardis »

:?: :?: :?: :?: /me is the only one with lock screen not functioning on 2.13 beta?

pakt

Re: bump

#49 Post by pakt »

debernardis wrote::?: :?: :?: :?: /me is the only one with lock screen not functioning on 2.13 beta?
Yes, there is a problem with 'lock' in 2.13beta, but it will only show up if you don't already have /root/.xlockrc

If /root/.xlockrc is missing, the usual (for 2.13beta) problem of mrxvt vs. rxvt problem surfaces.

This is what happens in the lock script if I execute part of the offending line in mrxvt
# rxvt -bg orange -g 36x1 -title "Create key (password)"
mrxvt: bad option "key"
mrxvt: bad option "(password)"
mrxvt: Use -h, -help or --help to get help
#
It's a good thing Barry is putting the rxvt binary back in ;)

Paul

justauser

Crash booting

#50 Post by justauser »

I have a P4 3GHz hyper threaded system. It has the onboard shared memory graphics adapter and I also have an ATI Catalyst on the PCI bus. If I boot with the ATI selected as the primary graphics adapter 2.13 crashes. If I switch back and set the embedded controller as default it boots, but I get the problem iof X not running and can't even get XVesa to run.

plinej

#51 Post by plinej »

I modified pmount with a rox launcher and Barry downloaded my modified code. Not sure why he didn't include it since it seems to work good for me.

You can get it in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15

I know dougal's been modifying pmount too so maybe he'll include that feature.

pakt

#52 Post by pakt »

plinej wrote:I modified pmount with a rox launcher and Barry downloaded my modified code. Not sure why he didn't include it since it seems to work good for me.
Thanks, plinej, I missed that thread. I just tried it and it works great :)
plinej wrote: I know dougal's been modifying pmount too so maybe he'll include that feature.
Yes, he has streamlined it. He sent me a copy to test - it is 30% faster on the eBox, where the difference is quite noticeable. He told me he has been quite busy, so he probably hasn't had time to post his version yet. Seems like merging his version with yours will make pmount a real winner 8)

EDIT: I've PM'ed Dougal, asking him if I can post his version for him. Then, if you like, you could perhaps merge the two versions. Maybe we can make it into 2.13 final ;)

Paul

plinej

#53 Post by plinej »

Sounds good to me. I'll be more than happy to do that.

alienjeff

bugs

#54 Post by alienjeff »

Just out of perverse and morbid curiosity, are unresolved 2.12 bug reports "carried over" to 2.13 for consideration and hopefully resolution? The reason I ask is this: while trying to use gcrontab in v2.12, I noted that clicking the help icon in the gui resulted in my browser to report " /usr/local/share/gcrontab/help/C/gcrontab-DOC.000.html cannot be found. Please check the location and try again." The link works in v2.01, so somewhere along the 2.01>2.12 path the link was broken.

I resorted to http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbi ... ron-1.html for the help needed, so save your links. heh.

The question of pre-existing bug resolution is what I'd like addressed and/or discussed.

Thanks.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#55 Post by BarryK »

plinej,
I somehow got the impression that you and Dougal are collaborating on
Pmount, so I was waiting for something new to be released.

alienjeff,
Okay, I'll checkout the missing Gcrontab help file.

plinej

#56 Post by plinej »

No problem Barry, I'm sure dougal's improvements will be great. Once I see his revision I'll make sure everything works good for me and maybe throw in some of the improvements I already made.

PaulBx1

#57 Post by PaulBx1 »

A lot of people like MUT. As long as it is there on the menu, they are accommodated. IMHO we have to use as default what works and is known to work. In the case of the Rox update, it makes sense to change to Pmount as default desktop icon.
Sorry to sing a sour note about pmount, but besides the missing ROX button (which I use a lot), it also has an actual bug in handling USB flash drives, that MUT does not have:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13267

See my last post for an updated description of the problem.

My opinion is this needs to be cleaned up before making pmount the default, as it causes no end of confusion.

kirk

#58 Post by kirk »

The problem with the pup_213.sfs not being loaded from the hard drive is a SATA drive problem. If I boot with "puppy PMEDIA=satahd" boot option, then the pup_213.sfs file IS loaded from the hard drive. If I don't pass that option then it loads from the CD and sets PUPMODE=13.

Just tried booting 2.12 from the CD, same problem. I got this laptop a couple weeks ago and went straight to a frugal install of 2.12. Had the same kind of problem with PUPMODE=13, so I added PMEDIA=satahd to grub.

Here's my PUPSTATE file when booting 213B from CD:

PUPMODE=13
PDEV1='hdc'
DEV1FS='iso9660'
PUPSFS='pup_213.sfs'
PUPSAVE='ext3,sda4,/pup_save.2fs'
PMEDIA='idecd'
SATADRIVES='sda '
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_ro1'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
ZDRV='ext3,sda4,/zdrv_213.sfs'

pakt

#59 Post by pakt »

PaulBx1 wrote:Sorry to sing a sour note about pmount, but besides the missing ROX button (which I use a lot)
PaulBx1, have you tried plinej's modified version of pmount? (see 8 posts up in this thread).

He has added the ROX buttons :) Works great.

There just remains the incorrect-description problem you mentioned.

Paul

GWJMateo

#60 Post by GWJMateo »

Is the universal installer working?

I tried installing 2.13Beta on my laptop last night, and once I got through all the prompts, rebooted, I was presented with a question: where do I want grub to be installed?

Ok, that's odd, since I was already asked that. I installed grub, rebooted, and once I pointed grub at the correct install...nothing: no error messages, no hard drive activity just a black screen. Odd.

I will try it again tonight to see if I can replicate that.

Other than that, there may be an issue with ROX proper: some of the icon launchers did not work at all (setup for example) where the underlying apps worked fine from menu. Actually, anything related to ROX seemed sort of slow, whereas using the menus (or console) the whole system was blazing.

The system I used was:

Compaq Presario 2100US
1.5 ghz Celeron
512 RAM
40GB HD
64mb IGP Radeon

I will test it proper on my desktop.