Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 26 May 2017, 00:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 17 [242 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 09:19    Post subject:  

@peebee
Thanks for testing and reporting. Was it just the skype program that crashed? Sometimes it doesn't like sharing a soundcard with other programs such as media players so as you say that could have been the cause. Hopefully folks will continue to test things out and let's see where it goes.

d4rkn1ght wrote:
Puppy Lucid 2.2.8
Using: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-lucid.pet
Mic doesn't work at all

This is a different issue and probably needs you to set your mixer and/or soundcards settings correctly. Otherwise you need to give more information about what you are doing and eg did a previous version of skype in Lucid 5.2.8 (I presume this is what you mean) work?

d4rkn1ght

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 11:00    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
@peebee
Thanks for testing and reporting. Was it just the skype program that crashed? Sometimes it doesn't like sharing a soundcard with other programs such as media players so as you say that could have been the cause. Hopefully folks will continue to test things out and let's see where it goes.

d4rkn1ght wrote:
Puppy Lucid 2.2.8
Using: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-lucid.pet
Mic doesn't work at all

This is a different issue and probably needs you to set your mixer and/or soundcards settings correctly. Otherwise you need to give more information about what you are doing and eg did a previous version of skype in Lucid 5.2.8 (I presume this is what you mean) work?

The only way I can get Skype to fully work again is by installing the skype-4.2.0.13-lucid.pet over this version. Confused
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 11:36    Post subject:  

d4rkn1ght wrote:
The only way I can get Skype to fully work again is by installing the skype-4.2.0.13-lucid.pet over this version

So you mean you have previously taken steps to install a workaround in order to be able to use the earlier skype? (Otherwise those earlier skypes don't work any more). I would suggest you remove all traces of that before starting again with the current skype.

I don't normally run Lucid but I did boot into it to do a test of this skype just now and it was all working for me. As I said, you need to check mixer (especially capture) settings. Then soundcard selection (if using a USB mic for example) is done by editing the /usr/bin/skype file (it can not be done via the options GUI as it was in the older skypes).

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 12:20    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Was it just the skype program that crashed?

Sadly not - it was the complete pc that crashed needing a power off button pushed to "recover"........but as I mentioned I was hammering the internet with both Skype video and internet radio through Chromium............

d4rkn1ght

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2015, 11:13    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
I would suggest you remove all traces of that before starting again with the current skype.

I've always been cautious about uninstalling things in Linux. Uninstalling sometimes take functionality from other apps. But I did what you said, and it's working perfect now. Cool

Thanks! Smile
drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 06:12    Post subject: skype 4.3 with apulse3  

Finally, had a chance to test skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-slacko14.0.sfs . Unfortunately, microphone dropped out after a minute or so with both my Acer Aspire one and my Lenovo ThinkPad R400, in both cases running under Slacko 5.9.3.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 07:31    Post subject: Re: skype 4.3 with apulse3  

drblock2 wrote:
Finally, had a chance to test skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-slacko14.0.sfs . Unfortunately, microphone dropped out after a minute or so with both my Acer Aspire one and my Lenovo ThinkPad R400, in both cases running under Slacko 5.9.3.

Oh dear, that's not good news is it? Slacko 5.9.3 is Slackware 14.1 rather than 14.0 of course but I don't think that should be a problem.

In a way it is useful that the fault is presenting itself after only a minute or so. It would be really helpful if you could try the pulseaudio version.

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 12:38    Post subject: Re: skype 4.3 with apulse3  

OscarTalks wrote:
It would be really helpful if you could try the pulseaudio version.

Hi OscarTalks

Tried the slacko-14.0-pulseaudio version on a slacko-5.9.3 derivative - no sound at all - the options settings did not give the "Your using pulseaudio" info message.

The apulse3 version is definitely an improvement for me - the mic continues to work for longer although it does still drop out after a time.

Thanks
peebee

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 13:53    Post subject: Re: skype 4.3 with apulse3  

peebee wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:
It would be really helpful if you could try the pulseaudio version.

Tried the slacko-14.0-pulseaudio version on a slacko-5.9.3 derivative - no sound at all - the options settings did not give the "Your using pulseaudio" info message.

I have downloaded slacko-5.9.3 testing versione of 22 June. Skype working in a live with pulseaudio. I have installed the pulseaudio of the following post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=789340#789340

Using qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs. Before launching pulseaudio open /usr/etc/pulse/default.pa and change the following lines to match:

Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

I think that:

Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0

should generally work, too. I launch skype by the following script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
pulseaudio --start
sleep 3
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/plugins
exec /usr/share/skype/skype "$@"
pulseaudio --kill
baszek

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:23    Post subject:  

For me skype apulse3 version does not work either - sound cuts off after some time. Ohhh I am considering to buy hard drive and install some windows shit --- all I need at my old dell d420 is skype and camera Wink
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 17:23    Post subject:  

I was missing a pulseaudio which works in tahr 6.03. I have compiled it. Pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4UZBeFkUkRtcjZYMXVwdlE/view?usp=sharing

I have set it to use the auricolar at hw:1,0 as alsa-sink and the external mic at hw:0,0 as alsa-source. I have set in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0

Dmix and dsnoop do not work in this pulseaudio for me. The above settings are the only settings which worked for my hardware. Feel free to experiment other settings with your hardware. You have to manual install skype and qt4 libraries. Untar skype4.3 tarball in /usr/share and simply rename the dir as /usr/share/skype. Then you can launch skype by the following script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
pulseaudio --start
pulseaudio --kill

I have used qt-4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1.sfs.

EDIT: copy.com has been discontinued, I have updated the link to this pulseaudio using google drive.

Last edited by watchdog on Thu 05 May 2016, 11:09; edited 1 time in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2015, 20:09    Post subject: First steps with Skype (pre-installed Racy PRER 55)
Subject description: i have never used Skype

i have never used Skype. But as Skype is installed in Racy PRER (17OCT2015) check further in your topic how this (famous) Skype works . (Boomarked)
I hope i will not l Confused ose my time .
I read the topic to get advantage of your experience.
Ninotix provides - Skype 4.2.0.11 in its Racy PRER (17OCT2015). hum, and old version...
Searching the forum : Argolance from Puppy french team has set Skype working for his french ToOPpy users here
With audio, pulse installed.

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 05:57    Post subject:  

I report here this package:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=868370#868370
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 11:34    Post subject:  

I run Skype 4.3 under Slacko 5.3.3t and it all works fine. Mostly I use it for texting as I find it quicker to keyboard type than enter text using a mobile, but do make the occasional telephone call from the PC (puppy). Usually have to run sound setup and set my Netgen USB headphone as the sound output/input as otherwise I have speakers set as the default.

Only problem with puppy based skype I've found is when trying to set up multi-way calls. Rings all of phones, but can't all hear each other. That might just be my lack on understanding of how to use that feature.

I keep meaning to get one of those skype phones that you just leave plugged into the net (standalone) all of the time and get a skype telephone number. Saves on having to have the PC turned on. Or there are skype panels you can plug into your smart TV and have always on/ready video calling, all build into the device/panel (camera, skype program etc.).

There's a link to where I store sfs's etc on googledrive in this post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=773846#773846
baszek

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2015, 10:04    Post subject:  

Hello
I was running skype with script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
pulseaudio --start
pulseaudio --kill

Now when I run this, I get:
Code:
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
/tmp/runinterminal-436: line 3:   441 Aborted                 "/root/my-documents/skype"
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

3 line is --> export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/plugins

Anyone know how to fix it ?
Page 15 of 17 [242 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: