EmSee-2nd-Edition | Ultra | 2016

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#61 Post by stemsee »

Last edited by stemsee on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#62 Post by stemsee »

EDIT: 29th September 2014

Here it is!

rc2 of StemseeS-Remastering-Suite.sfs

EDIT 30th September
Near complete needs testers
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing

stemsee

#63 Post by stemsee »

Here is the latest kernel 3.18.3-pae for your pleasure. Compiled by stemsees unattended kernel compile kit (kernel-kit fork).

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Will be issuing EmSee-V2.4 soon.

s243a

#64 Post by s243a »

stemsee wrote:Here is the latest kernel 3.18.3-pae for your pleasure. Compiled by stemsees unattended kernel compile kit (kernel-kit fork).

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Will be issuing EmSee-V2.4 soon.
This link doesn't work.

cthisbear

#65 Post by cthisbear »

stemsee:

Yep >>> Not Found Error 404

Chris.

stemsee

#66 Post by stemsee »

Superceded by EmSee-Ultra
Based on same dpup wheezy

https://mega.co.nz/#!YV5Wna6R!zc8-S3Cjf ... nar2-YTBVw

s243a

#67 Post by s243a »

Is there a stripped down version of EmSee? This iso is quite large in comparison to other versions of puppylinux.

stemsee

#68 Post by stemsee »

s243a

What to strip out? Most unwanted items can be removed using ppm, or sfs remover. Strip it to your heart's content ... I am not going to do that!

Or wait a few days for EmSee-Vivid a derivative of 666philbs vivid_beta2 series. Weighs in at about 400mb.

s243a

#69 Post by s243a »

stemsee wrote:s243a

What to strip out? Most unwanted items can be removed using ppm, or sfs remover. Strip it to your heart's content ... I am not going to do that!

Or wait a few days for EmSee-Vivid a derivative of 666philbs vivid_beta2 series. Weighs in at about 400mb.
I'll look it up, that sounds more like a typical puppylinux distro, although still over twice as big as most distributions (which are typically around 150Mb or less). Then perhaps I'll see what else can come out, for instance perhaps some of the sfs files can be separate packages rather than included out of the box.

If your curious, I've uploaded a bunch of puppylinux versions to freenet:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 056#846056

and at the current size of EmSee it will take a very long long time to upload or download. 400mb, is a more manageable size for distribution over freenet. My preference is for smaller versions because then it gives people the choice of how they can fatten it up by installing packages. However, perhaps it is just as easy to do the revers as you suggest and uninstall anything which is unnecessary.

I'll look up Phill's version and give it a try, and I'll compare it to yours and see if I think he's trimmed it down in the right places.

gcmartin

About to have its 1 year "Title" anniversary

#70 Post by gcmartin »

This is one of the BEST PUP distro produced. Its desktop looks a litlle different from most but it does have all the common elements found in all PUP distros, YET, with so much more.

Those new to PUPPY LInux especially recent Windows users will find this distro comes complete and ready to use out of the box (OOTB).

This is the ONLY PUP distro which when booted, the user (that right the "user", not the developer/builder) chooses whether he wants to boot in 64bit mode or 32bit mode. For most on the latest Windows users coming to Puppyland, they all have 64bit capable PCs. With such, the Linux OS takes advantage of the hardware to the benefit of the user. In any choice, the user is presented the same application mix upon desktop.

That is just one of the far reaching advancements that this distro presents its users.

We are approaching this fine distro's 1 year anniversary! Thanks @Stemsee

cthisbear

#71 Post by cthisbear »

" This is one of the BEST PUP distro produced.
Its desktop looks a litlle different from most but it does have all the
common elements found in all PUP distros, YET, with so much more "

Where are we hiding this gem now please?

Chris.

stemsee

#72 Post by stemsee »

EmSee-2nd-Edition became EmSee-Ultra, the next and final stage of my Dpup wheezy development. It has one problem which I couldn't resolve: if you run ldconfig the system language and font changes to what looks like korean, and I do not know how to prevent/undo this. So I didn't pursue it as wheezy is getting old.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=45

Presently I am enjoying EmSee-Tahr-6.0.3 but I have not released the iso I am using only the base system was released.

musher0

#73 Post by musher0 »

Hi, stemsee.

Is your EmSee Ultra in ally's Puppy section at Archive.org? The Mega and
Google-Drive download links that you provided earlier seem to lead to
"removed" stuff.

I'm not sure I can help you with the "ldconfig-in-Korean" situation, but I'd give
your Ultra a go. End-of-life or age of a distro doesn't matter that much: for ex.
dejan555 published last year a very good dpup-4.87 long after support for
Lenny was dropped by Debian.

If it's a good distro, people will continue using it, you know.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

stemsee

#74 Post by stemsee »

Try this. Great if you can find the solution to the ldconfig phenomenon.

http://tinyurl.com/nnqorly

musher0

#75 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

I don't know what it is, but I simply cannot access Mega. I'm even supposed
to be a member, so I did enter it once, but I can't access it any more from
any browser.

ally PM'd me too a little while ago giving me the Google Drive URL of your Ultra.

Having seen the size of the iso (2.8 Mb's), I'll pass, though, sorry. I was expecting
an Ultra "Puppy", not an elephant...

I know, you're the sensitive type, and I'm sorry for being so frank...

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#76 Post by musher0 »

stemsee wrote:EmSee-2nd-Edition became EmSee-Ultra, the next and final stage of
my Dpup wheezy development. It has one problem which I couldn't resolve: if you run
ldconfig the system language and font changes to what looks like korean, and I do not
know how to prevent/undo this. So I didn't pursue it as wheezy is getting old. (...)
Hello again, stemsee.

About wheezy getting old: according to -- https://wiki.debian.org/LTS --, debian wheezy
will be supported until May 2018, so for almost another 3 years.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

stemsee

#77 Post by stemsee »

So, I have updated EmSee-2nd-Edition to 3rd Edition. New office, tor, ardour, yad, Teamviewer 10, simple-remaster, nicons 4, slocategui, megatools cli, google drive cli, popcorn wrapper to prevent upgrade which doesn't work on wheezy at least, chrome 44.xx.xx, kernels 32-pae and x64 4.1.6 with qemu optimisation for booting direct off of hd and passing through pci hardware.

I sorted out the ldconfig problem with a workaround. 'ldconfig -XNv' wrapped around ldconfig, which limits any programs use of ldconfig. Removed some stuff. I want to upgrade xbmc, so may be wait a couple of days before upload.

stemsee

#78 Post by stemsee »

Installed latest kodi Isengrad on wine and it runs for a while then shutsdown. So leaving it out.
Attachments
capture8931.jpg
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times

stemsee

#79 Post by stemsee »

kodi Isengard-15.2 is working perfectly on another laptop with intel core i3 and integrated graphics. It could well be that the nouveau driver is causing the problems (gut feeling).

So gonna put it back in.

stemsee

#80 Post by stemsee »

EmSee-Ultra-09-15.iso
Attachments
EmSee-Ultra-09-15.iso link.txt.gz
(71 Bytes) Downloaded 267 times