Bittorrent Downloading with Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
sml

Bittorrent Downloading with Puppy

#1 Post by sml »

I have been trying numerous times over the last year to set-up effective bittorrent downloads with Puppy. The nearest success has been just using Opera but the downloads speeds were terribly slow and not that stable.

Generally I have had most success with Azureus, but I guess setting up java and Azureus with puppy might be quite difficult.

Are there any good options?

WhoDo

Re: Bittorrent Downloading with Puppy

#2 Post by WhoDo »

sml wrote:I have been trying numerous times over the last year to set-up effective bittorrent downloads with Puppy. The nearest success has been just using Opera but the downloads speeds were terribly slow and not that stable.

Generally I have had most success with Azureus, but I guess setting up java and Azureus with puppy might be quite difficult.

Are there any good options?
No problem with java under Puppy. There is a dotpup for the JRE in the PSI repos.

Haven't seen Azureus as a dotpup but you might find it using Gslapt from Slackware repos - Gslapt also available from the PSI repos

Hope that helps

klhrevolutionist

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Puppy comes with a bittorrent downloader named "transmission".

Optionally you can install Azureus & Java.

http://www.GreenvilleRoad.com/PuppyGuid ... nstallJava

http://www.GreenvilleRoad.com/PuppyGuid ... allAzureus
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

AndyMack

#4 Post by AndyMack »

I dont know what you plan on downloading but you should be using peerguardian for linux or the more maintained moblock for extra security, i have requested a dotpup for moblock but has yet to be fulfilled.

Ganymedes

#5 Post by Ganymedes »

I tried a couple of times to use the BitTorrent client built-in to Puppy 2.11 - Transmission, I guess is its name.

I tried to download a 350 Mbyte file a few times - each time unsuccessfully. The computer had 512 Mb memory and it should have been OK. The Free Memory display did not update properly - it did not really show the progress of the download. Well, then I gave up, I thought that it was still after all because of the memory or something.

I then tried in a (Vmware virtual) Puppy Linux computer with certainly enough memory. And it failed in there too. I rechecked with BitLord in Windows and torrent itself was OK.

Then I tried on my (virtual) Puppy Linux computer a smaller file, around 120 Mbytes, and it worked OK.

In all of these cases the download was as fast as expected. It is just that in the end it failed - basically after it had downloaded everything. Well, in all of my Linux cases, I was using a boot-CD without any hard disk usage.

eMeRy

#6 Post by eMeRy »

I only mention to support Transmission, that I often use it in traditional environment (mean with hard drive background) and it never worked wrong even down- or uploading files over 350Mb.