Puppy Arcade 11

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bwoy

#61 Post by bwoy »

sc0ttman, I salute you dude, this product is so appreciated.

However, not knowing very much about linux (I know a little more after last night :D ) I spent many many many hours trying to deal with networking.

The USB WLAN thing is a Asus USB N-13 (B1),
the A1 and B1 revisions are two very different chips, the one I'm trying to get going is Realtek rtl8192cu https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-N13_rev_B1

When I try to connect to my network with the correct WPA2 key, I get a kernel panic and num- and capslock blinks.

So, I have tried blacklisting drivers, installing new ones, tried Windows drivers but man... I will not give up, but some help could be really great.

When the kernel panics, you get alot of text onscreen - can this be found in some log after a reboot?

OH ALSO! I have to generic (made in china) NES controllers with USB-jacks. These pop up in in Windows as a regular gamepad, what do I have to do to get Puppy Arcade to find them?

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sc0ttman has not replied, so here is a suggestion. The in-kernel version of the rtl8192cu driver is notoriously bad. So I have attached a better one built from vendor sources. It is specifically for the latest Puppy Arcade - Slacko 593, k3.4.94.

Please report back.

bwoy

#63 Post by bwoy »

rcrsn51 wrote:Sc0ttman has not replied, so here is a suggestion. The in-kernel version of the rtl8192cu driver is notoriously bad. So I have attached a better one built from vendor sources. It is specifically for the latest Puppy Arcade - Slacko 593, k3.4.94.

Please report back.
Thanks, but I can't get it to work. I have "rtl8192c_common" and "rtl8192cu" blacklisted, but this way, I have no wlan-device showing at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I whitelisted the rtl8192c_common and then suddenly it worked! THANKS ALOT MAN!

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Just to be sure, do a reboot and confirm that your blacklisting holds.

I don't have a copy of Puppy Arcade, but the driver works fine for me in the base Slacko 593.

bwoy

#65 Post by bwoy »

Well now that I've got networking going, and I've managed to transfer alot of roms via ftp, I need to get the gamecontrollers/gamepads working.

Could someone guide me here? Is there a "dmesg" something command to see whats connected to the usb ports?

Please :)

starhawk

#66 Post by starhawk »

Code: Select all

lsusb
...would be what you're looking for.

bwoy

#67 Post by bwoy »

starhawk wrote:

lsusb
...would be what you're looking for.
That was it, thank you for that

These are my controllers:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0079:0011 DragonRise Inc.
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0079:0011 DragonRise Inc.
I will google around and try things but if someone knows right off the top what to do, I'm all ears :D

Well, I'll just keep them coming;

2544 MiB free (incl. buffers,cache) of 2656 MiB total RAM (shared unaccounted for)
How come it can't find all 8gb's of RAM I have installed?

1: How do I get the gamepads working?
2: How come I won't get any sound via HDMI? (SOLVED: had to add radeon.audio=1 to grubsettings)
3: It doesnt detect all of my ram, why?

Sorry people, many questions...
Last edited by bwoy on Tue 05 May 2015, 03:03, edited 2 times in total.

bwoy

#68 Post by bwoy »

I did a "lsusb -v" and here's the info on the gamepads. In the /dev/input I see no js-devices :(

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0079:0011 DragonRise Inc. 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0079 DragonRise Inc.
  idProduct          0x0011 
  bcdDevice            1.06
  iManufacturer           0 
  iProduct                2 USB Gamepad 
  iSerial                 0 
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0 
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.10
          bCountryCode           33 US
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength     101
         Report Descriptors: 
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0079:0011 DragonRise Inc. 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0079 DragonRise Inc.
  idProduct          0x0011 
  bcdDevice            1.06
  iManufacturer           0 
  iProduct                2 USB Gamepad 
  iSerial                 0 
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0 
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.10
          bCountryCode           33 US
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength     101
         Report Descriptors: 
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

EDIT! Ok I'm really trying here, keep in mind my Linux skills are extremely limited. So, tonight I've managed to get audio working, and I sort of got the gamepads working. Need help with this one though...

When I boot up with the gamepads connected, they don't show up in /dev/input .. I tried running modprobe joydev and modprobe usbhid but nope. However, they do show up as js0 and js1 when I reconnect them while the OS is running.

This is one problem. The other one is, when calibrating them, only one of them works at a time. I can calibrate js0 fine, but when I switch to js1 it's like the gamepad is dead.

So, at the moment I'm going to bed but I really need these two solved before moving on.

Thanks alot, sorry for posting alot....

marlowe221

#69 Post by marlowe221 »

I was trying Arcade 11.

It doesn't seem to matter where I put my rom folder - the rom loader can't seem to find it and nothing that I click on seems to do anything. All I have is a green arrow pointing up...

What am I missing here?

crass_sandwich

#70 Post by crass_sandwich »

Hey guys! I'm copying this over from the beginners forum since a lot of these problems seem to be Puppy Arcade specific. I'm a total Linux beginner so all help is greatly appreciated.

I'm running Puppy Arcade 11 on a couple computers, one of them being a mid-2014 Macbook Pro with Retina. Unfortunately the wifi did not work out of the box, and despite a few days of Googling I still don't quite understand how I can get to fixing that. One solution I found was taking a driver that Apple supplied on a support disc and installing it using ndiswrapper, but Apple stopped giving out those discs a while ago. Is there any other way to go about it?

Also is there any way to get some of the functionality as a laptop that OS X offers? Things like battery life indicators, screen brightness, sleep mode when the lid is closed, etc.

Finally, super nooby question, but I got the .pet for Tuxcube and double clicked to install it, but I can't figure out how to use it now :oops: There are Tuxcube files in the filesystem now, but nothing I do opens any interface, nor is it in the rom-loader. How do I use it?

cthisbear

#71 Post by cthisbear »

mavrothal posted last on your problem >> OpenEmu

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 604#864604

Chris.

crass_sandwich

#72 Post by crass_sandwich »

Thanks Chris, I'll look into it. In the meantime I'm interested in trying to get Puppy to work before attempting another solution.

rokytnji

#73 Post by rokytnji »

crass_sandwich wrote:Thanks Chris, I'll look into it. In the meantime I'm interested in trying to get Puppy to work before attempting another solution.
\

Have you considered using a usb wiffi adapter compatible with the kernel of the Puppy Acrade version you are running as a easy solution. I would turn off the wireless in the mac bios 1st before going this route if me to avoid conflicts of hardware.

I am hesitant to recommend a usb wireless adapter since I do not run Puppy Arcade.
But I am pretty sure another member has a good idea on what is plug and play .

The USB wireless Chip I use on the puppy distro I am running below. Mine (usb) plugs inside the netbook and is hidden from view.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 985#863985

Edit: It won't hurt to show what the internal wireless chip in your Mac uses, you know.
There are menu entries for looking at hardware specs in Puppy.
I am just a command line type of linux user.
But Puppy has the tools built in to show your exact wireless chip name and numbers.

rokytnji

#74 Post by rokytnji »

Finally, super nooby question, but I got the .pet for Tuxcube and double clicked to install it, but I can't figure out how to use it now Embarassed There are Tuxcube files in the filesystem now, but nothing I do opens any interface, nor is it in the rom-loader. How do I use it?
Try which or whereis in terminal for tuxcube. I am not familiar with it.
Or use Pfind in menu and look to see if tuxcube has a launcher in /usr/bin/tuxcube.

to launch it if it is in there.

tuxcube

rokytnji

#75 Post by rokytnji »

3: It doesnt detect all of my ram, why?
You need a pae kernel for 32 bit to see all 8 gig of ram.
I am not on Puppy right now but I am on a 32 bit system with 8 gig of ram on this laptop.
Because I run a pae kernel. All 8 gig of my ram is seen.
But again. I am not on a Puppy edition presently.

harry@biker:~
$ uname -a
Linux biker 3.17-7.dmz.2-liquorix-686-pae #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.17-9 (2014-12-23) i686 GNU/Linux
harry@biker:~
$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       8238256    1561080    6677176      51020      83832     952560
-/+ buffers/cache:     524688    7713568
Swap:            0          0          0

donmularz

Some issues and questions

#76 Post by donmularz »

I've been tinkering with slacko arcade for a week or so, it was a lot of fun troubleshooting all the little quirks that popped up but now i'm a bit stuck.

i'm using an older gateway machine, a 7310, almost everything worked the way i wanted (ps1, snes, nes) but i had a few small issues:

when loading snes games through the rom loader i was greeted by an empty browse menu. no directories or files, nothing. also unable to move up a level using the arrow with the two periods (is there a name for that? i've never actually said that phrase before). playstation and nes rom selection work fine.

also, i wasn't able to have more than 1 controller configured at a time in the rom loader. i had configured all 3 controllers (generic or off-brand usb nes controller, 2 port snes controller to usb adapter with official snes pad, and a 2 port ps2 to usb adapter) one after the other, and they seemed to work, but when i went from ps1 to nes in the rom loader the other controller would no longer be active. the ps1 settings seemed to stay the same, though i believe i did have to reconfigure the snes and nes settings each time. i can't say with 100% certainty because...

unfortunately, due to my divided attention and a massive miscommunication, i erased the puppy arcade install and replaced it with the newest version of slacko puppy. i'm very well versed in the installation and i have the roms backed up so it's no big hassle, but i'm wondering if i should install one of the older versions? performance-wise, everything worked fine, there were just those few little problems that may or may not be bugs that i haven't come across in the forum or the readme (trying to inch my way through, but video games).
Last edited by donmularz on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#77 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817% ... ?tab=Specs

Intel 5 Series (Pentium 4)

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

RAM: 1 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 6200

Chris.

donmularz

#78 Post by donmularz »

sorry, i meant 7310, not 7310S. I'm not sure what the exact differences are, i could never find anything just for the 7310, but this one didn't come with a discrete gpu, just intel igp that i can't remember the specifics of, and it's got a 80gb HDD, i changed the ram to 3.5gb, but the cpu is either the same or very similar. i edited my post with the correct model.

cibban

#79 Post by cibban »

Where can I find a suitable devx for Arcade 11, based on Slacko 5.9.3? All links here and everywhere point to devx_slacko_5.9.2.sfs but that file is not to be found anywhere on the net. It seems to have been removed from the official mirrors and all alternative links I have been able to find with my not-to-shabby google fu are broken. I'm totally at a loss and would be grateful for any help or pointers.

ally

#80 Post by ally »