~572, p575, and p57577: three spins/updates of Precise 5.7.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
s243a

#61 Post by s243a »

I notice that the shutdown option on the menu seems only exit the x-window server and not completely shut down my computer. What is it that I type from the x-window server to shut down my computer?

s243a

#62 Post by s243a »

So I tried to install firefox to run as spot. I got it working but I was randomly messing with the permissions in the .cache folder to get it to work. I think there may be some bug (see this thread):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... d406424e4e

I also created a profile. To create a profile use the command
./firefox --ProfileManager

Once I successfully created a profile I started firefox with the following startup script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cd /root/spot/firefox/
nohup su -c "dbus-launch ./firefox -P s243a" spot& 
Notice that firefox is now using dbus for precise. This wasn't the case in the previous version. Here is a related thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125043

Puppus Dogfellow

#63 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

s243a wrote:I notice that the shutdown option on the menu seems only exit the x-window server and not completely shut down my computer. What is it that I type from the x-window server to shut down my computer?
cannot recreate, but mss in a terminal or launcher should activate MochiMoppel's shut down script, which is supposed to be less abrupt and safer than the stock shutdown, which i believe you can call with wmpoweroff (a script in /usr/bin). maybe something's hanging somewhere and needs a nudge. mss should make sure everthing is safely processed and put away.

by all means post all your experiences running these spins as spot, what works and doesn't--i never use the function so can't really add anything, though you've got me thinking of replacing this 571/57577 prototype i'm currently on (i broke the mount function (am locked out of all but the drive with the save folder)) with p57577 rather than move to something else.

s243a

#64 Post by s243a »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: cannot recreate, but mss in a terminal or launcher should activate MochiMoppel's shut down script, which is supposed to be less abrupt and safer than the stock shutdown, which i believe you can call with wmpoweroff (a script in /usr/bin). maybe something's hanging somewhere and needs a nudge. mss should make sure everthing is safely processed and put away.
Last time I shut down I didn't have this problem. I'll keep you posted.
by all means post all your experiences running these spins as spot,
I noticed that you're missing /sbin/ldconfig

I copied it from precise 5.7.1 in my version. I then ran it and got the following output:

Code: Select all

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_svg-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_plot-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ogl-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_media-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_gizmos_xrc-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_gizmos-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_fl-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libsigc-1.2.so.5 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/librubberband.so.2 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib/liblo.so.7 is not a symbolic link

Puppus Dogfellow

#66 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

just finished a fresh install and reboot of ~572 and here are a few observations and thoughts: the install palemoon link is outdated, so if you haven't downloaded a pet for a browser (none included by default, but some possibilities are chromium (40 from k@stas works with the dependencies and all are available a couple of pages back; I couldn't get the 43 or the newest chrome to run, though I didn't try the latter as a portable), firefox (package from k@stas is my current browser recommendation--now appears to be just as fast as palemoon but with better syncing. It autoupdates but you can manually install the current version by following the instructions here), and palemoon), you can reinstall the seamonkey suite through the PPM. goldendict and wordnet from the PPM also work/install well. for VLC, this time around I used 207 and the qt482.pet. LO 4.4.4 is working well, the wine 1744.pet and .sfs (work by version 2013, peebee, technosaurus, argolance, and others) function as they should in brief testing, the java 18051 package appears to be working. uncommented the bottom tray in jwmrc-personal and added another for the dual screen—maybe the next version will include a bottom tray by default. Swapped out mountall3 for monter5 (by musher0) and that will likely be in the next version as the choice for automounting of drives. Recoll 13 doesn't appear to be able to read databases made by recoll 19, but it can read those made by recoll 16. next version will include nwp/vgt and likely be somewhere between 575 and 57577 in size, but still may end up being just an update of ~572 (though this time with a browser included by default).

Actually did a few installations and can confirm a problem—megasync doesn't always install correctly, but I can't see what caused the failure (same machine, same spin, one out of three didn't take). Guvcview installed through quickpet on one installation but failed on another. I was able to grab the 1.5.3 from pupli repo and that installed fine. New installations should hold off on installing PPM2.0 when using a save folder—a bug (thing tells me i'm out of space on a drive that has over 200 gigs to spare—click-installing pets isn't affected) has resurfaced so I can no longer recommend it.

i really prefer vlc to gnome player so that and the qt dependency will make it into the next version along with firefox and rcrsn51's upgraded peasypdf. musher0's slocate wrapper is really nice to have as well.

"next version" may degrade to "suggested upgrade path." i had to reinstall, this saved me time. i hope to save more time the next time i break something, so i do think i'll get around to it...a lot of redundancy in /nwp and /my-applications/bin though...all ten menus could use some work...new ae stuff is in order, that will be included with the upgraded nwp-vgt hybrid...

:? :wink:

anyway, if you grab ~572, grab a browser pet or sfs or use the ppm to get seamonkey (and subsequently access newer offerings--don't know what's up to date as far as the other browsers in the repositories the spin has PPM access to, but i kind of regret removing the suite in the first place)--there is no browser included by default.

Puppus Dogfellow

~572, p575, and p57577: three spins/updates of Precise 5.7.1

#67 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

so i do think i'll get around to it
sooner than i thought:

~572.1 adds: nwp, vgt, some menu tweaks, the return of the/a bottom tray.

~572.2 adds:

findnrun-1.10.5.pet palemoon-25.5.0-i686.pet
flashplayer11-11.2.202.481-i386.pet peasypdf-3.3.pet
glipper-lite.pet PuppyTerrier-01g_BIL.pet
guvcview-1.5.3.pet python-2.7.pet
img2pdf_tahrpup-1.1.pet qt-4.8.2.pet
lib6+libstdc6-4.9.2.pet tas-1.9.pet
libc-ares2_1.10.0-2_i386.deb treesize-0.54.1.pet
libicu48_4.8.1.1-3ubuntu0.1_i386.deb vlc-2.0.7-i686.pet
libnss3_3.17.1-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_i386.deb vlc_DEV-2.0.7-i686.pet
megasync-xUbuntu_12.04_i386.deb vlc_DOC-2.0.7-i686.pet
mupdf-1.4.pet

to the above ~572.3 adds

Ardour3-3.5.357-i686-Precise_5.7.1nodep.pet mycp-1.0_noarch.pet
firefox.pet (autoupdates by default and replaces palemoon 25.5)
mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet spideroakone_6.0_i386.deb
gimp-painter-2.8.pet rakarrack-0.6.1-i686.pet
goldendict-1.0.2-precise.pet rakarrack_DOC-0.6.1-i686.pet
goldendict-wordnet_3.0-26.1_all.deb rassam-paint-1.0.pet
hydrogen-0.9.5.1-s-i686-precise.pet rosegarden-13.10-i686.pet
LP2_sooperlooper_1.6.14dfsg-1.pet seq24_0.9.2.pet
LP2_XorgHigh.pet

-------------

to ~572.3, ~572.4 adds:

jre1.8.0_51.pet LibreOffice-4.4.4_en-US_xz.pet w1747.pet

-------

chromium 40.petfrom earlier only needs the dependencies in ~572 and ~572.1. I meant to include get-libreoffice-30.1but forgot--also didn't change the splash screens from when the names were going to be very serious: `572, `573, `574 and `575 (i figured something about bones or bone yards would be cool for puppies, then i thought to name them by size (i.e. p159, p230, etc), but that didn't take, since i figured i could just as easily list them (they're 159, 230, 296, and 525mb respectively). anyway, first round of upgrades to the isos themselves in a while and they're all up in the repo if you want them), but perhaps i will next set. chromium forty is enough to get the google functions firefox and palemoon lack (cutting and pasting with the mouse in google docs, folder upload, some likable extensions i've never bothered to find a mozilla equivalent for...), palemoon is relatively current, firefox is essentially current.

it's working well (as ~572/prototype~572.4), so i figured i'd officially offer the set--i'd take them over their predecessors given the choice.

(i'll get more coherent links and details up once i get some sleep, but the isos are all here)

as usual, these spins use the precise 5.7.2 devx (which is just the one from precise 571 renamed).

enjoy.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:08, edited 4 times in total.

rcrsn51

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: and rcrsn51's upgraded peasypdf
Thanks for that. The included Python package is the absolute bare minimum, so I would be curious to know if there are other useful Python apps it can run.

For example, it contains the SimpleHTTPServer, which is your poor-man's Samba server.

Puppus Dogfellow

#69 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: and rcrsn51's upgraded peasypdf
Thanks for that. The included Python package is the absolute bare minimum, so I would be curious to know if there are other useful Python apps it can run.

For example, it contains the SimpleHTTPServer, which is your poor-man's Samba server.
it's a great, simple, quick, useful program--really excellent. thanks for making it. i noticed the python package was as small or smaller than anything i've seen labeled "python," the myriad helper scripts people write for it aside. there's also a python in the devx and i'm pretty sure i've seen some packages near thirty mb--the ppm tried to give me over 40 mb of python stuff as dependencies on a 3mb program--and you're saying included in that 4 or so mb python package are other scripts/programs? i didn't see anything for SimpleHTTPServer when i called it from the terminal or looked through /usr/share/applications, but i'm generally befuddled by networking stuff anyway (part of the reason i included megasync early on in the upgrade path is it's small size but more so this great ineptitude--networking makes me a bit queasy. it's actually kind of ridiculous i suppose.

anyway, thanks again rcrsn51--peasypdf should be included in all pups by default. seems like it should be a way for school kids and students (journalists?) in general to organize notes on the fly...many uses. not including it in the smallest (upgraded) 572 was an unfortunate oversight. it's happily mirrored in the repo though.

i can remember when pdfs were this cumbersome thing.

:D

since so many things seem to use it, would it be difficult to tell if the python ability came from one specific thing?

do you have a peasy networking program?

---------

some further observations: never before had trouble installing mixxx 1.10 from quickpet, but couldn't (once) this time. the portable apps version (1.7.2 pre-release) installed okay and appears to work in limited testing. only other thing i tried to run on wine so far was roughdraft3.0, which has always worked for me (first tried it when developmental wine was at about 17.11 or so, maybe earlier).

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here for info about the Python HTTP server. Start at Step #2.

corvus

#71 Post by corvus »

Hi Puppus Dogfellow, where can I find the md5sum of the various ISO files so as to be sure that There aren't errors in what I downloaded.

Regards :)

corvus
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Puppus Dogfellow

#72 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

corvus wrote:Hi Puppus Dogfellow, where can I find the md5sum of the various ISO files so as to be sure that There aren't errors in what I downloaded.

Regards :)

corvus
sorry, corvus, i (sort of*) never made any. :oops:

i've never had any problems with iso downloads that i can recall--as long as the overall size is okay, you should have the proper file (devexes from ibiblio sometimes get upped malformed, but that's usually apparent from the bloated size.)
-as long as the overall size is okay,
but that didn't take, since i figured i could just as easily list them (they're 159, 230, 296, and 595mb respectively).
well, it would help to actually state the correct sizes in the first place:

~572.1 159 MB (166,207,488 bytes)
~572.2 230 MB (241,668,096 bytes)
~572.3 296 MB (310,872,064 bytes)
~572.4 525 MB (550,969,344 bytes)

*not sure if getting byte-specific with sizes is adequate, but i've done this for dozens of installations without (the iso itself as) a problem. again, sorry. one process actually autogenerates a md5sums for the main sfs and i chucked it (at least five times :cry: :lol: ). :oops: :oops:
some further observations: never before had trouble installing mixxx 1.10 from quickpet, but couldn't (once) this time. the portable apps version (1.7.2 pre-release) installed okay and appears to work in limited testing. only other thing i tried to run on wine so far was roughdraft3.0, which has always worked for me (first tried it when developmental wine was at about 17.11 or so, maybe earlier).
the more current mixxx 1.11 from their website installs fine as an exe under wine. the .deb requires many dependencies and is actually more involved, though the normally unproblematic 1.10 from quickpet is likely the least involved solution of all.

rcrsn51
PostPosted: Yesterday, at 20:47 Post subject:
Read here for info about the Python HTTP server. Start at Step #2.
thanks for this. looks almost too good to be true. works in the machine i was going to first test as server--something is broken (says no python, has python. says no room to install stuff, has room) on the precise 5.7.1 machine i was going to use as the client so haven't gotten around to trying it out yet (again, i think this is a ppm2.0 bug so i didn't include it in any of these spins). this script would allow access to any folder the python -m SimpleHTTPServer command is run in? and ip address is the part of the ifconfig readout that says "inet"?

on the client side, do i type "http://puppy.server.[inetaddress]:8000"
or "http:[inetaddress]:8000" in the browser? thanks again/sorry for my befuddlement.

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

The second one, like: http://192.168.2.10:8000

Puppus Dogfellow

#74 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rcrsn51 wrote:The second one, like: http://192.168.2.10:8000
http://192.168.1.2:8000 was what i tried on two clients, one with python, one that lies about having python. neither can connect. could it be a firewall issue? i used to run with them all the time, then not at all, lately i've been allowing the automagic setup at first run--i know the server machine has it in place, not sure about the other two. dock's hidden and i can't recall if there's an icon for it. i sort of remember one but there doesn't appear to be one...

:?

would the client even need python?

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:could it be a firewall issue?
Yes.
No.

Puppus Dogfellow

#76 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:could it be a firewall issue?
Yes.
No.
i toggled off (thanks, tronkel!) the firewall and it works beautifully. thanks, rcrsn51!

guess i'll try out playlists and the like, but since it needs to download to open, i'm guessing i need to look at a different tool for that. still, that was even easier than it was on windows, and i remember it being relatively easy on windows. and now i don't have to get out of the chair or use a cloud service to get files off a machine 20 or 30 feet away.

fantastic.

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:guess i'll try out playlists and the like, but since it needs to download to open, i'm guessing i need to look at a different tool for that
Please explain. To download files from the server, just use Right-click > Save as.

Back here, I have attached a variation of the Python server that lets you do uploads.

Puppus Dogfellow

#78 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:guess i'll try out playlists and the like, but since it needs to download to open, i'm guessing i need to look at a different tool for that
Please explain. To download files from the server, just use Right-click > Save as.

Back here, I have attached a variation of the Python server that lets you do uploads.
being able to upload makes it even better. the downloading worked from the onset, but i guess i had something like teamviewer (or remote desktop, if it does what i imagine it does based on its name) in mind with the playlist comment. i didn't realize that "open" meant download and open as opposed to "download," which meant just that, so i figured i could access, for example, a playlist of mp3s on one machine and play the mp3s that that machine's playlist is calling, but do so using the media player from the client machine. something like that. it's been a while since i've used teamviewer so i may be misremembering what it does, but i recall it being or feeling laggy when i tried to do what i just described.

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

This HTTP server is easy to set up, but the client must depend on his browser to decide what to do with the content. If you click on a .pls file and your browser opens it in media player X, it can be a bugger to make it use player Y instead.

The nice thing about a Samba server is that remote files behave (almost) exactly as if they were on your own machine.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

corvus

#80 Post by corvus »

Hi Puppus Dogfellow,
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: sorry, corvus, i (sort of*) never made any. :oops:
Don't worry, you are welcome! :wink:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: *not sure if getting byte-specific with sizes is adequate, but i've done this for dozens of installations without (the iso itself as) a problem. again, sorry. one process actually autogenerates a md5sums for the main sfs and i chucked it (at least five times :cry: :lol: ). :oops: :oops:
Yes, I think it's enough.

I really appreciate your work. Thanks for your time and effort spent on this project! :D

Regards

corvus
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]