2.13 Beta bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
DesertPuppy

Rox icons disappearing

#21 Post by DesertPuppy »

First off let me say 2.13beta is awesome!!!, It is the best boot up so far, the only thing I had to do was run the network wizard and I was up on the internet.
As far as the MTU removing the desktop when you unmount, I had never seen that before so I experimented, I have always closed the window before I unmounted a drive and never had that problem, but sure as can be if I leave the window open and unmount with MTU then everything does disappear, with Pmount it works fine with or without the window closed. I guess sense I always closed the window first I never seen that bug in 2.12.

One last thing I am so glad we have updated ROX, I have always had to download the dotpup with each new version now it's all set to go, great job on the new version everyone, I will test more over the next few days.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Starting ROX

#22 Post by BarryK »

Kal wrote:Rox is not starting on a reboot for me. Something wrong in .xinitrc, so I changed it out for 2.12's .xinitrc and it's all right for now. I think Pizzagood is right.
Kal
Kal, I can't reproduce that.
Does that happen with a pristine 2.13?

ferikenagy

ROX 2.5 freeze on /proc directory

#23 Post by ferikenagy »

from ROX clicking an /proc directory simply freeze the rox windows, on /sys works fine, the freezed rox windows can be killed but desktop icon and background dissapears too. I have 256RAM AMD athlon 1.4Gb........so maybe it's some bug with new ROX not MUT...who knows......uXplore 2 panel works fine with /proc......

Kal

#24 Post by Kal »

Barry, It was a pristine frugal install, no upgrade, with pup_213.sfs, zdrv_212.sfs, dev_213.sfs, pup_save.2fs. in Window 2000 with Fat 32. As soon as I put the original .xinitrc back in, there was no start of rox. I had been changing backgrounds with Puppybackground and rox backdrop. Must have been a minor fluke with backgrounds. Because now after playing with other things, options in rox, and time pasting, I put the original .xinitrc back in again and all is good. It was repeatable at the time, but not now.
Good Luck, Kal

ferikenagy

ROX freeze on /proc directory

#25 Post by ferikenagy »

it seems it is an ROX 2.5 problem: freezing on /proc directory. I tested on muppy 006 too (not only puppy 2.13beta) based on puppy 2.12 , it has ROX 2.5 an d ROX 1.x, so I switch between them and the old ROX 1.x is working ok on /proc directory ,but ROX 2.5 is freezing on same directory, and of course the desktop items and desktop bakground too have problems..

Kal

#26 Post by Kal »

ferikenagy
Same story here with rox 2.5, this problem may be related to what I ran into. I never entered /proc directory in my playing. The dotpup for rox 2.5 did the same on Puppy 2.12, as you.
Good Luck, Kal

PS:
I discovered that if you turn off "show image thumbnails" in ROX-Filer>Options>Thumbnails, that the problem with opening /proc stops. But, of course you don't have thumbnails.

kirk

#27 Post by kirk »

rom ROX clicking an /proc directory simply freeze the rox windows, on /sys works fine, the freezed rox windows can be killed but desktop icon and background dissapears too.
Yes, me too.

debernardis

#28 Post by debernardis »

Would you try screen lock please? Both on a pristine 2.13 beta and with my .3fs addons it doesn't work.

brad_chuck

2.13b bug

#29 Post by brad_chuck »

The live CD works great... I use the installer to install Puppy on my SATA hardrive.

when this install is booted I get this error message.

Code: Select all

Uncompressing Linux....  OK, booting the  kernel
Bad inittab entry: id:2:initdefault;
Bad inittab entry:  pf::powerwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail start
Bad inittab entry:  pn::powerfailnow:/etc/init.d/powerfail now
Bad inittab entry:  po::powerokwait:/etc/init.d/powerfial stop
this is my computer http://www.shop.com/op/~Toshiba_U205_S5 ... urceid=298

raffy

MUT makes the desktop disappear

#30 Post by raffy »

Pizzasgood:
The icons are a part of Rox. If all of Rox is killed, then so are the icons.
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin will revive the desktop with the new Rox.
So this is the fix needed for MUT? I really like MUT for its nice graphical display. Plus, it's programmed in TCL, so it must be a good companion of HV3 in Puppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

I can't print from Mozilla. I can print to a file and then print the file from Xpdq. (I've got a postscript printer) Anybody able to print?

Kal

#32 Post by Kal »

Installed cups for my printer (HP 3740) and it's working as usual.
Kal

pakt

#33 Post by pakt »

Ok, I 've had a chance to test 2.13beta a little more and have found the following unreported bugs (running with pfix=RAM):

1. Installing Puppy to 'USB Flash drive' using Puppy Univ. Installer. Using 'sda1: vfat, size 122.4 MiB'. I chose 'sys-nopart.mbr' like usual. Then I get to the menu where I chose 'Syslinux', also like usual, click 'OK' and the next thing that happens is the CD drawer opens (with the 2.13beta CD)! Nothing is written to the flash drive. I've tried this with two different drives that have worked before.

2. Menu -> Control Panel -> Top doesn't work - nothing happens. Executing 'top' in a terminal works fine.

3. Menu -> Internet -> Axel opens menu to insert URL. Add URL then click 'OK' - Axel disappears. Check with KP - no such process. Axel works fine from CLI.

4. Clicking in ROX on a .log file doesn't have a run action. Used to open the file in the default editor.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Kal

#34 Post by Kal »

Paul
Barry is not keeping mrxvt, but, if you want to make your top entry in /root/.jwmrc like this. than it will works from the menu. It's showing rxvt at the time and is an oversight.

<Program label="Top view running processes" icon="mini-run.xpm">mrxvt -e top</Program>

Kal

pakt

#35 Post by pakt »

Kal wrote: <Program label="Top view running processes" icon="mini-run.xpm">mrxvt -e top</Program>
Thanks Kal. Yes, that works.

I discovered that rxvt (which is now a wrapper for mrxvt) balks at the '-n' switch in the line
rxvt -font 7x14 -bg "#c0c0c0" -fg black -T Top -n Top -e top
The line works when I remove it.

pakt

#36 Post by pakt »

More feedback on the problem with axel. Running the line from .jwmrc in mrxvt, this is what I get:
# puppydownload http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .54.tar.gz
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .54.tar.gz
/root/: directory
mrxvt: bad option "Axel"
mrxvt: bad option "download"
mrxvt: bad option "accelerator"
mrxvt: Use -h, -help or --help to get help
#
Also an inconsistency between rxvt and mrxvt it seems.

Paul

pakt

#37 Post by pakt »

More feedback on the Puppy Univ. Installer bug:

Seems like another rxvt/mrxvt problem. See 'puppyinstaller' line 137:
rxvt -bg "pink" -title "Puppy Universal Installer" -geometry 80x25 -e /tmp/fixusb.sh
Just running part of that line in mrxvt shows:
# rxvt -bg "pink" -title "Puppy Universal Installer" -geometry 80x25
mrxvt: bad option "Universal"
mrxvt: bad option "Installer"
mrxvt: Use -h, -help or --help to get help
#
Conclusion so far: if Barry is going to use Urxvt instead of Mrxvt, please make sure the switches are compatible with Rxvt or many scripts will be broken :(
Paul

BarryK
Puppy Master

#38 Post by BarryK »

I think I'll just go back to rxvt.

The thing is, rxvt is so small, that if we decide that we want any other
then it could be added as well as, rather than a replacement.

sml

#39 Post by sml »

Has anyone tested the puppy universal installer? I have tried with 2.12 and 2.13 and it seems broken. Sometimes it ejects the puppy CD, sometimes just before creating the USB bootable disc, the application just closes.

pakt

#40 Post by pakt »

sml wrote:Has anyone tested the puppy universal installer? I have tried with 2.12 and 2.13 and it seems broken. Sometimes it ejects the puppy CD, sometimes just before creating the USB bootable disc, the application just closes.
See three posts up