Android apps and Puppy.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
greengeek

Android apps and Puppy.

#1 Post by greengeek »

I was reading a post here regarding connection of Android devices to Puppy and the use of various file explorers to assist. Every time I try to add functionality to Android devices I seem to stumble over the requirement to use the Google play store to get programmes loaded. I don't want to use Google Play so I asked a question about how to load programmes / extra functions to Android devices by other methods.

In a sense this is nothing to do with Puppy - but from another perspective I think it would be great to use "non_Google_Play_Store" methods to link Android devices to a Puppy for data transfer or other uses (eg maybe the Android webcam could be driven from Puppy??)

I would like to collect peoples comments and project notes about this sort of thing so that I can decide what might be a worthwhile approach. I have some links suggested so far:
michaellowe wrote:androidforums.com/

here: forums.androidcentral.com/
or here:
forums.everythingandroid.org/
The best place though where youll find the definitive android devs and gurus I would head straight here:
forum.xda-developers.com/
you can get all sorts of .apks and roms to download and if you register and add your device you can immediately get feeds of all the interesting tidbits tailored just for your device

I am generally against "registering" my devices in any public way - preferring instead to modify my devices manually offline (which is why I love Puppy) - but keen to hear all options and suggestions.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

reserved for links and summaries

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

reserved

michaellowe

Android apps and Puppy.

#4 Post by michaellowe »

you dont have to register your device it was just a suggestion as you sounded sort of desperate.

use Burn-IT's recommendation of "XFE" for connecting Android devices to puppy. It has a graphical interface, albeit a bit dated like midori browser, but it works! thats all that matters to me if it works dont knock it.

I use XFE now to connect google nexus 5 in lucid puppy 525, works a treat! still early days so havent quite worked out if there is a way for the device to automount withouht having to first open terminal and run mount command go-mtpfs MTPdevice?? if you have any trouble sourcing this let me know and I'll send you over a link for down load or share the sfs with you. ;-)
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....
well thats at least how some of us deal with ba$h !

greengeek

Re: Android apps and Puppy.

#5 Post by greengeek »

michaellowe wrote:you dont have to register your device it was just a suggestion as you sounded sort of desperate.
Ok, thanks - I more or less stopped using Android devices when it seemed that I needed to constantly access an approved app store in order to load new software. I much prefer having the software stored offline so I can return the device to factory defaults and then reload the apps i want, all without going online.

If I can keep my addon apps stored offline and avoid the appstore then I would be keen to get using the Android stuff once more.

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Many devices support CyanogenMod - fork of AOSP. I have been using it for years on my Samsungs and my N7-2012. If you have a reasonably popular device then you will probably be in luck, but unfortunately, many need windows to unlock the bootloader, but not all.

A good thing is that you do not need the GAPPS package (google apps). That only provides the play store and other google proprietary apps.

Anyway, just my 2c.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

s243a

Re: Android apps and Puppy.

#7 Post by s243a »

greengeek wrote: Every time I try to add functionality to Android devices I seem to stumble over the requirement to use the Google play store to get programmes loaded.
You could try:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/

some more are listed here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/and ... -stores/2/