savefile2dir 1.6 - Convert savefile to savefolder

Core libraries and systems
Griot

#21 Post by Griot »

gyro wrote:@Griot,

If the ydrv sfs file is in the frugal install directory, then rebooting should automatically load it.

I assume that you have followed these instructions:
1) Download both files.
2) Rename current 'initrd.gz' as a backup.
3) Move both downloaded files into directory containing the frugal install.
4) Reboot.

gyro
Successfully resolved! Thank you very much! :D

corvus

savefile2dir v.1.4 & v.1.5

#22 Post by corvus »

Hi to all I have the same problem of Griot:
Griot wrote: EDIT: Nope, it doesn't recognize newly created savedir.
Rebooted twice after creating savedir (created from mounted savefile, look for term-out above). Jumped off to RAM, renamed savefile, no luck.
Then I deleted savedir (in RAM mode), tried the same procedure from the beginning and this time savefile iz renamed to .bak and savedir is created but Slacko doesn't recognize it.

Any usefull commands/logs to look for?
Thanks.
On precise 5.7.1 Frugal installation, after the creation of save folder it doesn't recognize newly created savedir. :(
My question is exists any "save folder" facility for precise like for slacko

Any help would be appreciated. :)
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Griot

#23 Post by Griot »

Hi, corvus.

Here, read this post carefully and follow mavrothal's instructions.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 258#803258
Keep an eye on kernel versions - modern (with PAE ability) and retro
(non PAE).
You can post your question there eventually.
Cheers!

corvus

Precise doesn't recognize save folder

#24 Post by corvus »

Great Griot,

thanks for the tip now everything works fine :D
although I had some trouble with /dev/null I hope not to have anymore.

Regards :)
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

corvus

Savefile2dir 1.5 with precise 5.7.1

#25 Post by corvus »

Hello guys. This is my experience using savefile2dir v.1.5 with precise 5.7.1 frugal installed on an ext4 partition:
/dev/null it's corrupt :? I had to replace it with that present in the tahrpup installation, luckily I had there.
If I try to transform a savefile, already existing, the system does not turn off but restarts.
I followed the advice of radky in the following post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 880#850880

I created a save folder from scratch and right from beginning has presented the problem of /dev/null, solved as before, regarding shutdown at beginning seemed to go all right but arrived at a certain point the issue has come back. :(
I lost days to figure out if it was due to some incompatible package but the feeling is that the defect occurs above a certain size of savefolder but I'm not sure because sometimes the problem occurred almost immediately.
Unfortunately the resolution of the issue is outside my sphere of knowledge!
What a pity! it would have been very useful to be able to use a savefolder instead of the savefile. :cry:
However a BIG THANKS to everyone who participated in this project. :)

gyro

#26 Post by gyro »

I have attached savefile2dir-1.6.pet.
This an update for older puppies, that tries to deal with any "/dev/null" problem.
Unlike Tahrpup 6 and other newer puppies, some older puppies seem to copy all of "/dev" to the savefile, including "/dev/null".
It could be that the "cp" command has difficulty with "/dev/null", so this version uses "tar" to do the copying.

Note: On a freshly created savefile, "tar" is likely to produce many warning messages about time stamps being in the future. These can be ignored.
It also ignores any files that are sockets, but this is not a problem.

gyro
Attachments
savefile2dir-1.6.pet
ordinary .pet file
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

gyro

#27 Post by gyro »

@corvus,
Sorry things haven't worked for you.
Unfortunately, I have not seen either of your problems using savefolder and savefile2dir on a number of puppies. But I admit I've never tried it on 'precise'.
gyro

corvus

precise savefolder

#28 Post by corvus »

Hi gyro,
Having solved the issue of /dev/null is already a step forward.
I'm sure that the day in which who uses precise, as mè, can get rid of the claustrophobic savefile will be a great day.
Thanks for your time and commitment to this project. :)

gyro

#29 Post by gyro »

@corvus,
It's difficult to see how the shutdown problem could be related directly to "savefile2dir", it does not change any thing to do with shutdown. It only converts the contents of a savefile into a directory.

It's most likely that somehow you ended up with an "rc.shutdown" that does not support savefolder. This is more likely to do with the back porting of the savefolder facility to precise.
Or, the "rc.shutdown" from the back port has been clobbered by one from somewhere else.
Was there an old "rc.shutdown" in the savefile?

Note: "rc.shutdown" is one of the puppy files that needs to be modified to support savefolder.

gyro

corvus

#30 Post by corvus »

Hi gyro,
gyro wrote:Was there an old "rc.shutdown" in the savefile?
I worked around your suggestion. I copied the rc.shutdown file of tahrpup (which exploits savefolder) in precise, just an experiment, but unfortunately it did not work. :cry:
The strange thing is that the first shutdown works fine the subsequent fail.
gyro wrote:Note: "rc.shutdown" is one of the puppy files that needs to be modified to support savefolder.
Unfortunately it's outside my sphere of knowledge! :(
My regards and thanks. :)

corvus